Author Topic: Ice Armor vs. Arctic Armor ?  (Read 6860 times)

Offline toadly

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Armor vs. Arctic Armor ?
« on: Nov 18, 2011, 06:57 AM »
I am about to pull the trigger and buy an ice suit.  My problem is the Arctic Armor suit floats ( a big plus for safety) and the Ice Armor X
doesn’t but seems to be the warmest.
Is there anyone out there who can tell me about the two suits and give me some intel. about the pro's and con's of the two.
My main concern is  the Arctic Armor suit warm enough or as warm as the Ice armor. The two are the same price.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Armor vs. Arctic Armor ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:11 AM »
I have owned Ice Armor and that's what I like.  They cut the wind great and yes the X will be really warm.   I prefer the Blue suite (Non Insulated) but I keep on the move when I'm ice fishing. The waterproof and wind-proof Ice armor suite's are a great choice in my opinion. They are a good suite for any outdoor activity. 

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:13 AM »
I have owned Ice Armor and that's what I like.  They cut the wind great and yes the X will be really warm.   I prefer the Blue suite (Non Insulated) but I keep on the move when I'm ice fishing. The waterproof and wind-proof Ice armor suite's are a great choice in my opinion. They are a good suite for any outdoor activity.

also look for rebates Ice Armor gives you a cooler when you buy the grey suite.   ;D

Offline boinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:19 AM »
Ive owned the grey ice armor suit for about 5 years now and couldnt be happier.  Works great in all weather conditions from nebraska to north dakota. 

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:25 AM »
I have the AA suit. Its comfortable, super warm, and it surely does float! Well worth the investment!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline steelyhead17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2011, 08:10 AM »
I've owned both and imo the Arctic Armour suit is a lot better. you wont be disappointed   

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2011, 08:14 AM »
I have the Artic Armour and there's absolutely no issues with warmth. And it's very light.

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2011, 09:30 AM »
I have an AA suit and love it. I see you are from Utah and I believe it has plenty of insulation for your climate. If you are worried about it being enough i would recommend trying it out and experimenting with base layers. If you move a lot moisture wicking is needed. If you park it and wait warmth is your game.

Just my 0.02 federal reserve notes.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2011, 01:26 PM »
I have he ice armor blue suit and I live in Wyoming and it gets quite cold at times.  The coldest I fished in was -12f and stayed warm.  Of course the way you layer with whatever suit you choose also has a lot to do with it.  I have never had an issue with staying warm with the lightest suit. I also so like the blue suit because it's not as bulky as others it seems so its very comfy. I have got a friend who has the artic armor suit and he says it does not breath very well so he gets sweaty and hot. 

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2011, 01:28 PM »
My AA is super warm  often take the jacket off!!!! :tipup:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2011, 01:32 PM »
I have Arctic Armor and it gets a bit too warm when drilling holes and getting set up so I either take the jacket off or unzip it while being that active. I was wearing it while blowing the snow out of my driveway and afterwards I drove to a lake and ice fished for the afternoon. I did get a bit chilly, but it was because my sweatshirt was a bit damp from blowing snow. Otherwise it has been great.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Looked at both last week...I just wish I could afford one. >:(
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2011, 01:55 PM »
yellow and green aa, warm and floats, did i say it FLOATS. you'll enjoy either suit, but only one will save you.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2011, 01:58 PM »
If you do layer up with the AA suits you will defiantly sweat alot under them.  I usually just wear jeans and a Tshirt under mine,  If it is really cold I toss on a hooded sweatshirt for the extra hood. 

If your going to move a good amount like say heading to your spot,  un zip and keep air flowing to rid yourself of the moisture, once you start cooling off you can start closing stuff up to stay warm.
Don

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2011, 03:14 PM »
I have both, I use the Artic Armor early and late in the season for safety reasons. The Ice Armor (Extream) in the colder days. The Ice Armor is more functional with all the extras pockets,pads and D-rings. Its not just a coat/ bibs...its part of your gear. Its definitely worth the investment.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2011, 04:00 PM »
I have the AA camo.  Very warm, very nice, no regrets.  I got mine because it floats and was notoriously warm. I have no experience with the Ice Armor.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2011, 04:07 PM »
I walk in blue, never wore the grey but, am happy with it. I did try on some Strikemaster gear and it did fit better than the IA. My arms and leg length are a tad longer than the average guy, so if the length is good I have a ton of room in the waist and chest in most clothing. Strikemaster's gear fit very nicely and I may sell my IA suit (one season, bought last year) and get the "Red"!

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2011, 04:24 PM »
Both good suits but i walk in red.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2011, 04:28 PM »
I have used the blue and the grey Ice Armor suits for years and loved them. I tried the Frabill suits on when they came out last year and was blown away. I bought one and have never looked back. the elbows and knees are articulated and give me far more mobility. I really like the pocket placement on both the jacket and bibs. They both have chest high pockets as well as the standard waist high pockets. Before you buy, take a look at the Frabill gear. They make a suit starting at under $300 and have high end stuff closer to $600...

Offline toadly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2011, 07:33 AM »
Thanks for all the replys! Well I did it Got online at Reeds and ordered a Arctic Armor Plus in green. Got the jacket and bibs for $356.00 plus free
AA gloves! Free shipping. Should be the end of next week.  ;>)
Going Sunday up the Mountian to the Uintas and will fish the small lakes up there. We have 6" ice alreadiy if you know where to look!

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2011, 08:07 AM »
You won't be disappointed, I love my AA suit.... Just doesn't breath as much as I would like

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:56 AM »
6" of ICE!!!   MOVE OVER  BROTHER  IM TURN THE LIGHTS OFF IN MICHIGAN...
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline slabkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Before you look further check out the new Striker Ice gear. They have more features and some models are floaters. Read the reviews and you might be surprised at what you are missing. I got mine online and I gave the old AA to the kids.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:45 AM »
I just broke down and ordered an ice fishing suit. Bibs and coat. I went w the only suit that also floats. Arctic Armor. Advertised it will float me, and two other men holding onto me. I saved $18.75 from Reeds in MN, just by giving them my email address, and getting their sale emails. I also get a free pair of arctic armor gloves with the suit. Total cost is $356.23, but reviews on iceshanty.com state it is super warm, high quality, and the fact that it is the only suit that floats, made it the clear choice for me. I ordered the green/black plus suit

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:55 AM »
I have the Arctic armor as well and can't think of anything that would make me want to trade it in for anything...I haven't seen any other brands having anything better than AA.  Striker, IceArmor included.

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:11 PM »
go with AA just another safety feature

Offline toadly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:34 AM »
I went out a few times now in my new AA suit. It did not disappoint. Plenty warm! and is much better than the my old work bibs.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:15 PM »
I'm getting the Ice Armour (blue) suit for christmas the reason I didn't go AA is because most of the reviews i read says it does not breathe as well and having a suit that floats would make be venture out on thinner ice well because i wont sink so i went with the Ice Armour so that idea is not in my mind

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:24 PM »
I'm getting the Ice Armour (blue) suit for christmas the reason I didn't go AA is because most of the reviews i read says it does not breathe as well and having a suit that floats would make be venture out on thinner ice well because i wont sink so i went with the Ice Armour so that idea is not in my mind

You realize you can fall through 12" of ice by stepping on weak spot where there may be spring, current, old spearing hole, etc.?  I would rather be wearing a suit that will keep me afloat and may not 'breathe' as well (first time I have ever seen this comment about AA) vs. one that breathes but provides no floatation.  No ice is safe ice.....ice fish long enough and your chances of eventually taking a swim are pretty good.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:49 PM »
I dont wanna start an argument but that was just my 2 cents luckily spearfishing isnt allowed in the lakes by me and they are also deep, I just believe that i would be more adventurous instead of waiting for what is considered "safe ice."

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.