Author Topic: Are you guys getting ready????  (Read 2441 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Are you guys getting ready????
« on: Nov 16, 2011, 10:31 PM »
  Are you folks getting ready for this year's ice season?  Happy to report that the auger is gassed up and running like a top.  Weather up here has been nice and COLD.  Figure around the first or second week of December I will be on the ice.

Jim

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
Re: Are you guys getting ready????
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2011, 10:35 PM »
Got every thing, but the ice shanty which i am still building and need some weights and then good to go!

Offline JigginInID

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2011, 10:58 PM »
Been ready for some time ;D
Auger is tuned, sled is packed, and the lines are ready. Just waiting on the ice..
Shouldn't be too long now.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:07 PM »
Snow stuck on the roof all week and ice in the puddles, fishing waters floatable only. We are all wishing and ready, but still fishin' off the docks down here.

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2011, 10:50 AM »
Gettin Ready???

Been ready since ice off last season, LOL! Startin to get some orders for JT's May be a busy season, but I will definitely find some "ice time".

Hogger

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2011, 04:57 PM »
just finished getting the sled loaded new line and few new rods. put up the ice  shanty to make sure how it went up . just need some hard water. got more jigger totters they work great if you don't have some need to order some . see all of you on  the ice
Team Spudsickel 2012 1st place rainbow 2016 2nd place perch

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2011, 03:25 PM »
just went and bought myself a tripod for my fish tv, as well as the first round of ice fishing lures and some glow powder paint. sleds are out, augers are greased and sharpened, and i'm shifting tackle from bag to bucket as we speak.
now all i need to do is save up for a flasher...

oh, and ice. :P

Offline Ziceman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2011, 01:29 AM »
Hooks are sharp, line is new, poles are dusted.  Just need some hard water.  Need some more cold weather.

Jim, Let me no when you are going up to take a look.  I will take a ride with ya!!!

Zack

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:43 AM »
Deer season is done for me. Went and checked out the ice fishing gear to see what needed to be done. starting to get ready. Know if the wether would lesson to us we would be ready

Brentster7189

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2011, 02:40 PM »
ordered the bait... http://www.knutsonlivebait.com/extrabright_maggots.html
ordered the camera...http://www.aquavu.com/store/shop/aqua-vu-micro-camera-system-available-8-25-2011/
bought the flasher...http://store.humminbird.com/products/385310/ICE_45
making the electric auger...http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=192868.0

It is on...

That camera is pretty slick.  I didn't see if it recorded or not?  That auger looks like some serious undertaking, can't wait to see your final product.

Brentster7189

« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2011, 02:43 PM »
ordered the bait... http://www.knutsonlivebait.com/extrabright_maggots.html
ordered the camera...http://www.aquavu.com/store/shop/aqua-vu-micro-camera-system-available-8-25-2011/
bought the flasher...http://store.humminbird.com/products/385310/ICE_45
making the electric auger...http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=192868.0

It is on...

Curious, do you get colored maggots?  I got some last year from Sportsmans...man those things stunk, then they started going bad, black.  Had them in the fridge.  Do they usually keep all winter?  I tried using them for perch, but they didn't seem to take very well, although I'm sure it was more myself then the maggots.  Do you prefer the maggots over the waxies then?

HooknHunter

« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2011, 02:45 PM »
I have tried a lot of different things.  I haven't found anything you can buy that will beat a good old fashioned night crawler, or part thereof.  I do like to add a little scent to it though.

Perch-eye is still my favorite, but I don't know where you can buy those.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2011, 03:01 PM »
i like the maggots (spikes) over wax worms and night crawlers. they take up less space,  they last ten times as long in the fridge, and they stay on your hook a hole heck of a lot better. To keep spikes near indefinitely put them in double plastic bag with some sawdust and squeeze out all the air. I hadnt heard of any one using the colored before but i like how you get some white ones too.

Brentster7189

« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2011, 03:21 PM »
So you just use those maggots for jiggin' I take it?  I mostly use crawlers and some marshmellows for my tipups.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2011, 03:29 PM »
i generally do the following: I put out 4 tip downs with double jigs on each. I tip each jig with either a crawler or a spike. i then jig with a trusty lindy flyer tipped with spikes. if the fish are selecting on the crawlers i will change to crawlers on the flyer and if  they are targeting a certain jig type i will switch to that. 

Offline JigginInID

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Perch-eye is still my favorite,

X2

Perch eye, cut bait, or a crawler. Any one of these gets the job done.

Woodland, am anxious to see the auger when completed. Pics! :)

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Well i put my drive together last night... just need to fab the connecting piece and install the switch...
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=192868.msg1967399#msg1967399

Offline JigginInID

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Nice! What size auger you going with? Can't wait to hear how it works for you on the ice.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:59 PM »
8" mora

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2011, 03:36 PM »
Been ready since March 25th!  ;D      Shrimpo jigs tipped with night crawlers usually gets the job done for me!    :tipup:

Brentster7189

« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2011, 04:31 PM »
Been ready since March 25th!  ;D      Shrimpo jigs tipped with night crawlers usually gets the job done for me!    :tipup:

Never tried those.  What colors seem to work best, or is it mostly a trial and error on that day?

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2011, 12:25 AM »
Pinks and orange. Pinks usually get the trout and the orange gets the panfish.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:28 AM »
well i finally got to try it out...http://youtu.be/LOb0larWeFU... ended up burning up the motor, fixed it when i got home may need to get different amperage batteries

Offline GreenLife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Woodland - looks like you need some YakTrax or spikes out there to keep from ice skating. :)
"I've gone fishing thousands of times in my life, and I have never once felt unlucky or poorly paid for those hours on the water." ~ William Tapply

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it.  What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach

Offline JigginInID

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:23 AM »
Either way, I'm impressed. Auger looks good.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:28 AM »
all up i would say $150... $50 batteries, $60 for motor, $3 for switch, $30 for aluminum, etc...

HooknHunter

« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:37 AM »
all up i would say $150... $50 batteries, $60 for motor, $3 for switch, $30 for aluminum, etc...

How many holes can you get between recharges in say, 10 inches of ice (and what size are the holes)?  I'm asking because I use my Ridgid 18V cordless drill with 3 batteries.  I can get about 45 holes on 3 batteries in 10 inches of ice.  (Those are 8 inch holes).  I believe you can get the cordless drill setup with 3 batteries for about what you paid for your setup.  I'm just trying to compare..... to see if it would be worth a change.....

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:50 AM »
How many holes can you get between recharges in say, 10 inches of ice (and what size are the holes)?  I'm asking because I use my Ridgid 18V cordless drill with 3 batteries.  I can get about 45 holes on 3 batteries in 10 inches of ice.  (Those are 8 inch holes).  I believe you can get the cordless drill setup with 3 batteries for about what you paid for your setup.  I'm just trying to compare..... to see if it would be worth a change.....
I think the cordless drill is the way to go, cost wise and weight.  I thought it would be fun to put this together. I am hoping when i figure out my battery connects ill get 20-30 holes. plus i dont feel as bad ruining a 60 dollar motor as opposed to a nice drill.

HooknHunter

« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:59 AM »
When I bought the Ridgid drill it had a lifetime warrantee.   :)

I had them replace the batteries this year and they never batted an eye.  I'm assuming they'll do the same when/if the drill blows.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.