Author Topic: Marcum LX-5 vs. LX-3tc  (Read 11467 times)

Offline idtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum LX-5 vs. LX-3tc
« on: Nov 10, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Thinking about buying a new Marcum and $$ is always a concern. In comparing the LX-5  to LX-3 looks like there are only slight differences for the extra $100. Differences LX5 has following and lx3 does not
1. Cone angle 8 & 20 degree
2. super fineline
3. target separation 3/4" vs 1"

I fish mostly 30' of water or less so I'm not sure which one to buy. I'm willing to buy the lx5 but if i don't need the extra features i'll save the extra $100. Looking for your guys input/ideas. Thanks

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marcum LX-5 vs. LX-3tc
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2011, 06:55 PM »
After owning a 5 I could never go back to the 3, the SFL alone is worth the added cost......

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2011, 06:56 PM »
When I fish bottom fish in more than 20ft I like having the narrow beam on.  I think if you are willing to get the top of the line then go for it.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2011, 06:59 PM »
I have the LX3-TC and my partner has the LX5. You already know the differences. He doesn't use the narrow beam but I do like his SFL feature that separates extremely well and is super sensitive to the jigging of the bait. If you need that feature for $100 more then so be it. I didn't and have never regretted my purchase for what I wanted to spend as well as what I needed it to do. Buy what you can afford but sitting one guy next to the other each with one of the above flashers it won't make one guy catch more fish than the other.  You'd have to take a top of the line flasher and put it up against a low end cheap flasher without adjustable zoom to see what a better flasher can do to help catch fish. It's like an Ice-45 or Ice -55 ..... one doesn't out do the other in a noticeable way.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline begs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Last year I did my research, research, research...I was also trying to find the best bang for my buck... I ended up going with the lx3 and I dont think I would change, unless the price was right for the lx5....

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2011, 09:36 PM »
Lx-3 unless you can get a used lx-5 for around the same price.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline vance80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2011, 10:39 PM »
Both are great units. But in my opinion the extra options and the little extra power is worth it. I use the SFL everytime out and the dual cone comes in handy alot also. You will love either one u get but if u have the money just get the lx-5 and be done with it.  You will be glad you did.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2011, 10:59 PM »
Both are great units. But in my opinion the extra options and the little extra power is worth it. I use the SFL everytime out and the dual cone comes in handy alot also. You will love either one u get but if u have the money just get the lx-5 and be done with it.  You will be glad you did.

I agree, and just to add on to this I believe the dual beam transducer is worth in the nieghborhood of 100 dollars.

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Hey guys sorry to thread jack but it's on topic :P I am also currently deciding what marcum to buy, I was looking at the vx-1 but I am wondering if I'm going to regret not spending more on the higher model. The reason I say this is because while I've never even used a flasher before so I'm really excited about having one, I do plan on fishing for lake trout in as much as 100 fow and I'm wondering if that's just beyond the capabilities of the vx-1 or even the lx-3. Thanks in advance for any input
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2011, 09:33 PM »
Hey guys sorry to thread jack but it's on topic :P I am also currently deciding what marcum to buy, I was looking at the vx-1 but I am wondering if I'm going to regret not spending more on the higher model. The reason I say this is because while I've never even used a flasher before so I'm really excited about having one, I do plan on fishing for lake trout in as much as 100 fow and I'm wondering if that's just beyond the capabilities of the vx-1 or even the lx-3. Thanks in advance for any input
The VX-1 will be fine in 100fow. Wish I had one.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2011, 10:04 PM »
The VX-1 will be fine in 100fow. Wish I had one.

X2,  I mostly fish for lake trout with my Vexilar FL-8 and it does fine.  It has less power than a VX-1 and no bottom lock.

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Thanks guys I wasn't sure how the 20 degree cone and 1000 watts of output would do in 100+ fow. To be honest I really don't know what the difference would be between 1000 and 2000 would be as far as using it would go. I really don't know a whole lot about flashers yet. But if the vx-1 is adequate to fish bows, pike, and panfish in shallow water, and still versatile enough to help me find suspended cohos in 50 fow, and lakers in 100 fow, then at 300 dollars it sounds like a good buy to me.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2011, 11:05 PM »
And just when I had my mind almost made up I looked at the hummingbird ice 35. Anyone ever used this flasher? Or should I just go with a marcum.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2011, 01:12 AM »
You should find both on the ice and see for yourself.  I had my lx-3 sold last year because i found a really good deal on an ice 45, and wanted a dual beam ducer real bad.  Thankfully i saw an ice 45 on the ice before the deal was made.  Once you see the vibrant color of a marcum and the way it separates the fish you will not even think H-bird.  Just my $.02.  Check it out for yourself.  I've even realized that I rarely fish water over 20 ft so a smaller ducer cone won't even matter to me..... 
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2011, 02:41 AM »
Yeah, from looking around the internet I believe I can pick up a brand spanking new lx-3 for 350 after mail in rebate at gander mountain, if that's the case I think I'm going to go with that. Does anyone know if you can put the dual beam transducer from the lx-5 on the lx-3.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2011, 03:31 AM »
Never mind found the answer to that question. It's too bad marcum doesn't offer an optional 8 degree ducker for its lower models. Sure it wouldn't be as convenient as a true dual beam, but then you could just put the appropriate ducker for whatever your fishing on a given day.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2011, 09:38 AM »
I fish a lot of timber and like the narrow cone angle for exasperating some of the clutter. For myself and the style of fishing I do I bought the lx-5, but then again i got it for $299!! ;D I think the extra features are worth the extra $$

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Safeice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2011, 07:48 PM »
I have been thinking about the LX-3 vs LX-5 also.  The 8 degree cone angle is geared for detailed deep water fishing.  At 50ft with a 20 degree cone you are looking at basically a 17 ft wide area, the 8 degree cone is only 7 ft wide. When you get down to 100ft the 20 degree cone is covering a 35 ft area & the 8 is looking at  14ft. With the tighter cone  you know those fish you see are close to your jig not 17 ft away.  I don't do a lot of deep Laker fishing, but I think I will like being able to use the dual cone of the LX-5 when I need to.   

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:13 PM »
If you fish weed's, timber or steep breaks the dual beam is priceless, I run mine in narrow beam 99% of the time no matter depth...onlt time I run wide beam id when hole hopping away from others....

Offline jekross42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2011, 10:17 AM »
just ordered the lx3 last night, now i just cant wait for ice to try it out, got deer hunting and finishing up the semester at school till then though.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2011, 11:21 AM »
I fish a lot of timber and like the narrow cone angle for exasperating some of the clutter. For myself and the style of fishing I do I bought the lx-5, but then again i got it for $299!! ;D I think the extra features are worth the extra $$

Where, pray tell! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2011, 06:34 PM »
He got it when Aqua Vue went under and they were dumping inventory....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.