Author Topic: two man shelter  (Read 2283 times)

Offline mittenclamman

• Team IceShanty Regular
two man shelter
« on: Nov 06, 2011, 02:05 PM »
this is probably one of the most talked about subjects on here, but I am going to buy a new shelter this year ( I have been using a Clam 2000 for the last 3 years ). I have been looking at 2 man flip over style either a frabill or a clam. just wondering everyones thoughts on these two brands and how your shelters have been holding up.

Offline 85champ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: two man shelter
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:03 PM »
Frabill always seem better quality to me I just picked up a new frabill trekker two man flip over hut and it is very sturdy and the seats are the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a hut

The clams are usually cheaper and a little flimsy if I say so myself but there are some more expensive ones that are also great quality

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2011, 05:33 PM »
I also started with a clam 2000 then went to the clam 5600 (same style but bigger) and after 2yrs of research and a lot of hmmming and hawing I finally went with the frabill trekker DLX this year...and I cannot wait to use it...the fabric is nice the poles are sturdy the sled is nice size and the seats are awesome...I've already got about 8hrs of pretend fishing on er lmao

Offline 85champ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2011, 05:48 PM »
I also started with a clam 2000 then went to the clam 5600 (same style but bigger) and after 2yrs of research and a lot of hmmming and hawing I finally went with the frabill trekker DLX this year...and I cannot wait to use it...the fabric is nice the poles are sturdy the sled is nice size and the seats are awesome...I've already got about 8hrs of pretend fishing on er lmao

Same one I'm talking about I haven't used it on the ice but sitting in it it seems very well built

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2011, 05:50 PM »
I don't have the Trekker DLX, but I have the Commando which has the same seat as the DLX.  Makes sitting all day a lot more comfortable than the other seats out there.
  BE THERE!

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2011, 06:26 PM »
I have the frabill predator awsome quality and more room than you know what to do with. The only two things I would say about it are make sure you have a way to pull it because by hand with gear in it is almost impossible and spend the extra hundred dollars for the thermal version. I seen the thermal this year they didnt have it local last year and its worth the extra money, I called frabill to see how much just the cover would be to upgrade and its 370.00 shipped

Offline mittenclamman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2011, 06:55 PM »
thats some very interesting points, I am planning on going with thermal, but have been reading spec's and reviews on just about every shanty I could find online today and am thinking about maybe going with a one man instead ( less wieght to pull and I fish by myself quite a bit ). But came across Jason Mitchells Pro Thermal one man and am pretty impressed by it. So I don't know, I guess see if anyone throws anything else in here to make me consider something else, gonna go read some specs on Frabill's now.

Offline Flag Hntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:19 PM »
i bought a frabill trekker dlx last winter and love it. you can get 3 guys in there if ya have with enough room to spare. i also got mine for $330 and i see they are now $500 this year! i woulda bought an otter 2 man but my local gander mountain didnt have any in stock.

Offline reddot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:34 PM »
I bought the Frabill Trekker last year after having a one man flip over.  Did a lot of research and comments on this site.  Came down to what was available and what I could afford.  I love it so far.  The Otter is also a very nice sled if you can afford

Offline slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:22 PM »
I also bought the trekker dlx from gander last year and its a great  2 man shelter....but it can be
a bear to pull by hand in deep snow, but I think they all are.

Offline dewey123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:58 PM »
I have a clam voyager tcx. I love it. It is great fishing alone or with someone else. either way you have alot of room. Fishes 2 people very nice where your not sitting on top of the other guy...not even touching arms side by side. I recomend the voyager tcx. I have been in frabils huts...one with a bench seat. It was nice. but it was real heavy to pull by hand and not as comfy as my voyager.  The voyager weighs like 100 lbs i think but i fish almost all the time by myself and pull it by hand. I also load and unload it by myself into a pickup...not the easiest thing. This is the only thing I didnt think of when buying a hut... transporting it. I had a ford explorer that it barely fit in with the seats pushed up all the way and a jeep liberty that was not gonna fit. now i have a pickup no problems now. I would check out the sleds on both shacks and look at the seats (bench or schair seats...backrests padded etc)and dimensions before pulling the trigger both companies make great products and will keep you warm.

Offline Shrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2011, 09:03 PM »
i baught a Clam 2000 last year and loved it. I think my next one will be a two man flip over Clam. Seats are nice and alittle more leg room in them.

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2011, 09:27 PM »
I was just looking at the Clam Nanook a couple hours ago at Cabelas.  Very nice looking, very roomy! I have a tight budget but also want a two person.
I'm cold and I like it

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:56 AM »
Clam Yukon.  Awesome!

luva  :tipup:
Let's fish it.

Offline Pork

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:36 AM »
Sorry, no experience with the calm or frabil....
BUT, if you can get them in your neck of the woods; don't overlook Otter.
I got the team wild 2 man last year & am totally satisfied with it. Great price too.
A little heavy, but can fish 3 people in it easily.
Plenty of head room & really sturdy.
Just my 2 pennies.
If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.