Author Topic: Heat for my camper/fishhouse  (Read 3492 times)

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
Heat for my camper/fishhouse
« on: Jan 23, 2005, 02:55 PM »
I would really like to put a small woodstove in it but don't no what size and where to buy one. I cut trees for a living so woods not a problem. My camper is 8x16. Thanks

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
Re: Heat for my camper/fishhouse
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2005, 07:24 PM »
i have a 8x6 shack, and is heated by a oval woodstove. on sheet metal, 6 inches raised up. 2' high, 1' and a 1/2 wide and 2' and a 1/2 feet in length. it heats it REALLY well. they cost about 50 bucks at canadian tire. One a little bigger would be ideal for your fishhouse. :)

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2005, 04:24 AM »
i like thes stoves. perfect for small areas ...

http://www.nuwaystove.com/

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2005, 05:18 PM »
Thanks for the info. I think I will purchase a nu-way stove.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2005, 10:48 AM »
 billditrite, thanks for posting this info. I willbe building a shanty for next season and have been looking around for heating idea's and this one hit the nail on the head.

Offline newoodhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2005, 08:31 PM »
I put a nu-way stove in my shack and they work great, because they are vented you do not get the windows fogging up like with the mr.heater. And they make good stoves to cook on. Newoodhntr

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2005, 02:41 AM »

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2005, 04:33 AM »
Can you guys tell me that have the nuway stoves in your shacks, how much wood do you normally bring for a weekend fishing trip. How much do you burn in lets say 0 to 20 degree above days. Is it easy to regulate the stove or does it go through wood pretty fast and you need to keep stoking it up. Thanks again, Don

Offline newoodhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:57 PM »
I can't help you with the wood question. I have the propane stove and i am still on my first 20# tank. Don't have to worry about bringing wood out or the mess. I got the pipe set with a damper and can ajust the heat. Newoodhntr

Offline b1ak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:53 AM »
I have had a 1/4"-plywood over 2 x 2 framework (5' x 7') uninsulated with wood floor for a few years, using the nu-way wood stove.  I wouldn't have it any other way. on a cold day it takes about a 5-gallon pail of mixed wood.  suggestion: when you purchase the stove, also purchase the piping kit with the roof flashings...makes it easy to install & is waterproof then & pipe won't burn your roof plywood as it passes thru. also get the ash-remover scoop which is under the grate inside the stove. makes it so easy to remove ashes. i put some newspaper & kindling under the grate for starting fires & the wood on top the grate. works good. "toasty" & there is something about a little smell of woodsmoke on the lake that's nice. because you are "vented"...no headaches later or smell of anything.  also, your windows will not fog up a bit, because you are not adding any moisture into your shack...just the opposite...you're constantly drawing in fresh air. and you can keep a pot of hot drink on the stove & warm up your sandwiches & venison!! (or fry a nice perch filet?)_--gilljumper

Offline b1ak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2005, 09:04 AM »
by the way, you asked about "burn" rates for your wood stove...I just stuff wood into it whenever I can fit a few more pieces in...and leave the draft (bottom) door closed on warmer days & open a crack on colder ones. the stove will take wood up to 12 inches...so i just go to my woodpile (most of my stuff is 18") & stick the chainsaw in & cut my usual wood chunks in half.  (then i split em down if necessary with an axe so they will fit thru the door of the stove & stack em in a five gallon bucket.

Offline rendo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Michigan
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2005, 09:36 AM »
PROPANE NU-WAY IS THE WAY TO GO NO FUSS NO MESS TO CLEAN.
willing to learn new tactics

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.