Author Topic: Fish Alaska magazine  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fish Alaska magazine
« on: Oct 08, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Has anyone seen the new FAM? 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fish Alaska magazine
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2011, 11:16 PM »
Dio you miss the pictures?  ;)

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2011, 07:18 PM »
I picked up a copy. Great to see an issue dedicated to AK ice fishing, hope they do another next season with more in depth content.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2011, 11:45 PM »
An addition on ice fishing?  I'll have to pick one up!  Thanks Gents!  :)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2011, 09:42 PM »
Has anyone seen the new FAM?

Your post didn't sink in until now :wacko: I take it your in the issue................. ..............Where? Hopefully they come out with the ice fishing issue every season!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Your post didn't sink in until now :wacko: I take it your in the issue................. ..............Where? Hopefully they come out with the ice fishing issue every season!
I'm not in it, they are just catching all those lakers in one of my favorite spots.  I thought that the editors creel was a good article and the fact that the whole issue pertained to catch and release was real encouraging. 

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2011, 10:27 PM »
Cool, I see more ice fishermen practicing C&R every year and I release 70% + of what I catch (most of the wild stock n big'uns go back), let's hope the trend continues............. ...........

Offline alcanron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2011, 04:23 PM »
I was surprised to see my pictures in there. I sent them in and never received a response so I forgot about it. Picked up the issue and wouldn't you know, found two pictures I submitted. Looking at all the pictures got me fired up. The small ponds are starting to freeze :) so it won't be long.
"There are many good fishermen and some great ones. But there is only one you." The Old Man and The Sea

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Your right, it won't be long  ;D . I'm ready for it.

Nice laker BTW!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2011, 09:01 PM »
I was surprised to see my pictures in there. I sent them in and never received a response so I forgot about it. Picked up the issue and wouldn't you know, found two pictures I submitted. Looking at all the pictures got me fired up. The small ponds are starting to freeze :) so it won't be long.
Now your famous ;D

Offline alcanron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Now your famous ;D

Famous twice. I also was lucky enough to have pictures in the last Highway Angler.
"There are many good fishermen and some great ones. But there is only one you." The Old Man and The Sea

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:59 PM »
Famous twice. I also was lucky enough to have pictures in the last Highway Angler.
Its not what you know its who you *&^%. :o  :P  :P Congrats on the fishies nice ones right there...

Offline alcanron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Its not what you know its who you *&^%. :o  :P  :P Congrats on the fishies nice ones right there...

Just putting it to work and lot's of determination and I do not believe in doing stuff half way.  I had a friend convince me I needed better documentation of my catches. I used to never take pictures. Now I do and you see why. Good luck this hardwater season! Let the pictures do the talking and of course a good story with the picture just makes it that much better.

Offline alcanron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:44 AM »
Just if anyone is wondering all those Lakers were released to fight another day ;D

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2011, 01:32 PM »
I agree our biggest to date is 22lbs we keep a couple a year in the 24-28 inch range for some good eats but the big and rest ALL go back to fight another day.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:30 PM »
I agree our biggest to date is 22lbs we keep a couple a year in the 24-28 inch range for some good eats but the big and rest ALL go back to fight another day.

We have kept 2 in 6 years. One wouldn't kick when released, the other was murdered by a high school buddy that thought his 30" laker was a 20 pounder.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2011, 04:06 PM »
I keep a couple but most go back...... I do however keep any burbot over 26"
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline JediMasterSalmonSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2011, 06:26 PM »
The magazine issue was a C- at best.

The Marcus and Melisa show certainly know what demographic groups they are targeting with selling advertising space in the "Alaska" series of magazines they publish. Colorful and Uninformative, great for cofee tables all over the lower 48. Troy continues to educate the thirsty mindless masses that follow his creel like zombies on a quest for more brainsssss.   

I found the first attempt at the All Ice Special issue to be redundant and self-absorbed, hence why I ended my subscription a couple years ago. 

The issue failed to include any information or stories which are North of the Alaska Range. Heck, the 4 biggest fish in the readers photo section came from the Interior.

The "staff" gear review was a joke, it should have been called the stuff we use that you cant afford.  What about a beaver hat? Beaver gloves are you kidding me...no reviews on anything actually used by anglers I fish with....geez and what about electronics?

The last drift: The fish wedding at the end summed it all up for me. Just the the entire issue, lots of fluff and no substance. 

I was most disappointed with the failure to mention the popular "Kids Only" event held the last couple years which is hosted by Paul Reed "The Master Angler" for make a Wish Foundation. 

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2011, 07:04 PM »
I agree the mag is more fluff than substance but so are most of those mags. I kept one from last year, the only one that I caught on bait,  it swallowed the hook into the gills and was bleeding. It was ten or fifteen LBS and tasted good. I’ll post some photos when I get home. 

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2011, 11:19 PM »
I think their proper release of trophies was way off the mark.  I wonder how many of their fish actually make it after being spread out on the ice/snow and getting measured for length and girth, then stuck back in the hole, pulled out of the hole and laid back on the ice for a video?  Ya, they might swim off, but will thay make it? At this point they may as well throw them in the smoker, not waste them.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Well put jiggenfrogs!  Anytime you take a fish out for that long a time on the ice for all that....   It's going to be a bloater in no time.  I know it's easier said than done eh!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline JigginH2Oat40BLO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:17 PM »
Did anyone notice the Troy Letherman (an editor)  article "As You Pike it"...  to find taken content even some word-for-word quoting (without sourcing info) from this site http://www.ice-fishing-source.com/northern-pike-tips-techniques.asp

Even much of the content to paragraph sequencing was along same lines... no pun intended! 

just sayin'...  :o

Offline JediMasterSalmonSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:10 PM »
Doesnt surprise me, I will check out your information. The magazine is really a tourist, and coffee table magazine and not a legitiment fishing resource IMHO.

When they started leaving out great information about fishing, having stories about fairy tale weddings, and add the items like beaver hats to the equipment recomendations, they did nothing to help there rep. They also censor any information that presents critical thinking about their magazines. 

They make great material for the bathroom.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.