The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: The Countdown Begins to the 2011/12 season  (Read 11182 times)

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
The Countdown Begins to the 2011/12 season
« on: Oct 03, 2011, 01:48 AM »
Hold on children, let me shake this dust off my ****........................................

There we go.

Anybody else realize that we might be ice fishing next month? 

The chill is in the air, the salmon and browns are in stupid thick everywhere up in NY outside of Oswego and Pulaski, the russians are snagging trout in some of our Pocono Streams, stocking starts today.  And then theres that whole hunting thing if that's your thing.  Cabelas.com just started advertising their ice stuff and it sent me over here to transitiion slowly from the defunct summer sites to the supercharged winter site.

lets review the last few first days on ice dates:
11/27/05
12/9/06
12/3/07
11/22/08
12/11/09
12/8/10

Weather.com says La Nina will kill us this winter with massive doses of cold.  Farmers almanac says warmer that normal with plenty of snow in February.

It's way too tough to predict boys.  I'm saying somewhere between 11/22 and 12/11 the average being 12/3.  It'd be nice.  I'm sure I'll get all worked up with the first freeze, throw my crapt in the car and drive around for two weeks constantly breaking the ice where I want to get on saying I'll be out tomorrow then magically me and sully and Dmented will all be out on the same day on three different lakes and the rivers will rise from all you guys drooling onto the ground.  Happens every year.

So count them down - 27 days left this month, at least 22 next month, but maybe 30 next month and 11 in December.  That's,,,what,,,49 days minimum, 68 days maximum.  A spread is nice, but seven weeks till standing on ice would be awesome AND IT IS ABSOLUTELY POSSIBLE!!!

See you boys in Hannibal on Wednesday.

Dr. JM

Oh and MarkD, you keep showing people all those crappie from the pack, people may actually start fishing that lake.  Won't take much to fish her out.  Be Careful ::) ;D
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The Countdown Begins to the 2011/12 season
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2011, 07:59 PM »
My favorite pre season pep talk! ;D  Seems every year I head up to the "Plateau" while my buddy ap is still hunting ducks. After scoping my pictures of gills and perch he is usually forced to at least take a break from ducking to harvest some tasty pan fish fillets. I've still got some fly fishing to do, and maybe a little tree pruning, aka grouse hunting. Doc; I hope see you in December, preferably early in the month. Oh, I've got a gig with my band booked Dec. 2, that should insure some ice. ;)

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2011, 02:07 PM »
Well,  the last day of buck season is  Dec 10.   Hopefully we will have ice down my way  (central pa) by the 17th.   I'm sure someone  up in the  Poconos  will venture out   on  a couple inches  long before that.

Last year we were out before christmas,  but  usually its the first weekend in January  for us.

-- that's waiting  for  4"  ---  I'm sure   there are guys  that get out long before I do.

Offline iceslider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2011, 09:48 PM »
december 10 last year at white oak hoping for same this year.
Well I ain’t often been right but I never been wrong
Seldom turns out the way it does in the song

Offline Walleyekiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2011, 08:56 AM »
Cant wait to try out my new gear!!

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2011, 06:46 PM »
It will be here before we know it. @)
Got some huntin to do 1st. Good luck to y'all this season....both out in the woods and on the hard water.
As always,.... be safe everyone an stay on top when it gets here.   Ed....Salmonrebel. :tipup:

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2011, 07:14 AM »
October 15th and what does that mean??????????????????

16 days left this month.....sure......

with all these wonderful weather idiots saying some real cold hitting us around thanksgiving, that would mean that 24 days into November, some ice will exist.

16+24=40

40 days aint bad kids, 40 days till the "search for early ice" post starts, the next step in the attainment of safe ice.

960 hours.  seems like a lot, but 2 days ago, it was over 1000, and three days from now, it'll be under 900.

its less than 6 full weeks

Lakes are turned over, salmonids are spitting gold out their arses, buck season may happen after first ice, who knows.

I'm going to drink a hurricane in key west on MOnday, and by the time I return, time may be measured in less than a single, lonely month.

Enjoy Boys.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2011, 09:19 AM »
Can't wait myself!!!!

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2011, 01:11 AM »
Oh children, dearest children, gather round the campfire with you hot, rum laced cocoa and listen closely............... ......

We're passing, if not passed, the threshold of 40 degree highs and frosty nights, and soon, very soon, it'll be 40/20 - that's ice making weather.

Actually plug in 18344 into accuweather and bring up the 15 day forecast -

Sat
11/5/2011 45° 26° 0.17 0 Colder with rain
Sun
11/6/2011 38° 27° 0.01 0 Partly sunny, flurries; cold
Mon
11/7/2011 38° 21° 0.04 0 Partly sunny and cold

That's ice making weather son, I aint eccentric, I aint saying Ice Fishing by the 15th, but you need to see skim before you can have a safe 2 inches.

Salmon are dieing off, shots are ringing out around the woods, the killing frost has hit me and leaves are gone.  Ice, could very well be, maybe just maybe, 28 days away, more likely 40, definetely less that 50. 

Doesn't that just sound so very nice, 28 days, its happened before, that's 4 weeks, less than a month.

Keep countin em down children.

Dr. JM

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:58 PM »
I dont know  about 40 days,   but your post makes me want to  get my gear  down out of the rafters.  Time to make sure everything is ready to go !

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2011, 06:41 AM »
I live in south central pa -- just across the  susqy river from Millersburg.    I went out on my deck  at 5:00 am  this morning and it was 31.

Came inside and  turned on the local news and   they were talking about the NWS issuing a winter storm  warning for tomorrow.   

Who knows?  There might be some die hard  up in the Poconos  that  goes out in October  standing on pieces of plywood to  bore  a few holes in the slush :-)

But it  sure feels like ice fishing weather.  I am going to  spend Sat morning  getting my gear ready to go.

Geesh -- I didn't  get around to cleaning my in line yet, and its time to start thinking about  drilling holes !

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2011, 09:31 AM »
   My season usually starts around the week of Christmas. As I am a pretty big dude I myself require around 5" before I attempt it.(went through before, not fun) So I would say around 45- 50 days before my season starts...

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2011, 02:09 PM »
I cant stand this any longer!!!!!!! I have everything ready Ive never been this ready rods lines sheds augars all i need is ice!!!!!!!!!I wish it would drop to minus 10 tonite and stay ther till may!!!!!!

Jarhead

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Dec 21st is my guess for Northwestern Pa.

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:26 AM »
Dec 21st is a pretty good estimate for NW pa. Last year i started out at Shenango Dec 11th. year before on the 13th!! You can usually get on the ice at Golden Run around then unless you dont like a little pucker power!!!!!! usually 3 in in most areas!!!!!!!

jarhead(Bill)

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2011, 07:06 AM »
I cant stand this any longer!!!!!!! I have everything ready Ive never been this ready rods lines sheds augars all i need is ice!!!!!!!!!I wish it would drop to minus 10 tonite and stay ther till may!!!!!!

Jarhead

We had  28   here in central pa  on saturday morning --- so its getting closer !

Offline redtail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:25 PM »
Can't get here soon enough.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2011, 04:31 PM »
Typically what lakes in the state go over 1st ? I would imagine maybe Tobyhanna ? Im getting the itch, hopefully only a few more weeks. 

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:26 AM »
It would likely be some of the lakes up in the Poconos.  Either that or Lake Jean --- that is often times one of the first lakes to ice up.

Offline Drill4gills

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fast is not enough it's gotta be QUIET
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:14 PM »
keeps getting colder in the nw here we will be in it sooner than we think  ;D

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2011, 06:12 PM »
It would likely be some of the lakes up in the Poconos.  Either that or Lake Jean --- that is often times one of the first lakes to ice up.

Ive heard tobyhanna is usually a good bet.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2011, 08:28 PM »
wow, guys.............wow!!!

what the he!! is going on.  this is ridiculous.

you all realize 3 years ago, everything was frozen, locked up, and we were watching it all grow.

3 years ago, we were standing on ice November 22nd.  November 22nd is tuesday. 

what's the difference this year?

54 below at Chena Hot springs.  I washed my grundle in Chena many moons ago, its a 91 hour drive thats not that far.

Actually, the laws of thermodynamics says that in nature, things flow from areas of high concentration to low concentration.  That means heat must be pumping up from the south in order to meet this cold just to our north.  Sucks, don't it?.  Eventually, all the heat should be sucked away and cold should flood in.  The key word is should. 

When is should?

Dr. JM

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2011, 10:44 AM »
We can only hope it's Sunday the 11th ;D the day after deer rifle season  ;)

Offline deer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:22 PM »
Have a feeling down here in central PA we have alittle way to go. Was on a local lake (Blue Marsh) and the surface temp was 45.8 degrees.  So I hope for some cold weather soon.  >:( >:(

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2011, 04:21 PM »
We can only hope.

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:49 PM »
that sure does not look that promising to me mark
Dave

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2011, 10:14 PM »
Well they do say ##it flows downhill. ;) I'm a little disgruntled, but at least the next two gigs I have (Dec. 2 and 3) won't be instead of going ice fishing. That said I went to Cabela's today and picked up a bunch of stuff. You can grab some gear with 65$ worth of points, plus a ten dollar coupon. ;D

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 22, 2011, 11:53 PM »
Mark; it would be good for that but my money gig (Dec. 2) just got axed cause the restaurant is going out of business. :( I'm also doing one the next day but it is a cancer benefit, so it's a freebie. It is miserable here as well; relentless rain and fairly mild temps. The wettest year in history continues!

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #28 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:43 AM »
Hopefully next week the warm weather breaks and the cold filters in! JM, was just outside...disgusting fog, rain and 40 something temperatures. Who needs that. It will be nice if you are on the ice before December 10 because then it will be good ice for my vacation (last half of December). Are you taking the kielbasa and vodka gang out? Ski Hunter, walleyes should be hitting pretty good right now without the ice. VC, good weather to make some $$ with the band..indoors!  Mark

They certainly are  ;D  Now if only this rain would stop so I can see how high it ends up/ if its muddies up  :-\
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2011, 06:31 PM »
i can't WAIT!!! im getting tired of not doing good deer hunting! get this rifle season outa the way and bring on the ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.