Author Topic: Humminbird Charger problem  (Read 7828 times)

Offline minger1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Humminbird Charger problem
« on: Oct 02, 2011, 07:48 PM »
I was charging my Ice 45 today and noticed that the light on the charger never turns green. No matter how long I charge it the indicator light is still orange yellowish. Anyone know what this is about? I thought it was supposed to turn green when it was fully charged. Thanks

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
Re: Humminbird Charger problem
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2011, 09:07 PM »
I was charging my Ice 45 today and noticed that the light on the charger never turns green. No matter how long I charge it the indicator light is still orange yellowish. Anyone know what this is about? I thought it was supposed to turn green when it was fully charged. Thanks

Battery is probably shot.
Pete Lewis

Offline mikeps326

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Nah you have to move the cables nd usually it turns the color that it suppose to be at..I have the same one

Offline minger1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2011, 10:50 AM »
I am really hoping the battery isn't shot because I just got it late last season and only used it a few times.

Offline kastmaster693

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2011, 11:15 AM »

If you have a meter, check to see if you are really getting juice out of it.  You should be getting anywhere between 12.5 to 14.00.  I recently had the same thing happen to my ICE35 charger.  I put a meter on it and it wasn't putting out anything so I ended up tossing it in the garbage.  I did hook it up to several batteries just to make sure it was the charger.

Offline minger1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Mike that was it hooked it up played with the cables a bit and viola green fully charged. Thanks

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:00 PM »
Hey guys went to charge up my Ice 55 today and when I connect the battery typo the charger the charger makes a substantial buzzing noise, I unplugged it immediately as it was a noise I had never heard before, has anyone else experienced this? I will add that I have also drained the battery down to near dead, and I have never had it this low before, do you think it's just working harder to charge because it is so low?. Any insight would be a great help.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Do you have another battery to test it on?

Chargers should not buzz! Did it get hot?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bancroftchuck

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Use a ohm meter see if its putting out what the charger says that its .
Look on the back of the charger and it will tell you the out put is . 12v - 9v -6v
if its putting out the right charge then just check it in about 1/2 hr or so to see if its charging battery.
check charge on battery before u start to give you a reference.
Rippin Lipps !!!!!

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Well I figured I either had a bad battery or a bad charger, both of which would be covered under warranty so plugged it in it buzzed for 5 seconds then slowly faded and appears to be charging normal now, thinking it was really needing to output to charge a very low battery, ill go check to see how its coming in a couple hours to see if things are still operating normally.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:05 PM »
Check it every few minutes to make sure it isnt getting hot!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:14 PM »

The charger or battery?

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:17 PM »
I have a Ice 35 and the first one I got, the charger made a clicking noise.  I had to return this and get a new one

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:20 PM »
Checked on it, neither are hot, charging normally, guess everything is right as rain. Thanks for the input guys.

Offline Mooring10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2013, 11:26 AM »
I have a similar issue.  Humminbird 165 new this summer.  Allowed to discharge completely and sat unused for several weeks.  Plugged into charger this morning.  Yellow light for about 5 seconds; then clicking increasing to buzzing for about 5 seconds; then light turned green (indicating full charge).  Battery was not charged.  I can't find any on screen battery status indicator.  I'm just going to leave it plugged in with the green light showing.

Offline timberwolf204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2013, 12:25 PM »
i had a similar problem with my vexilar, don't let your battery go totally dead. It wound up costing me a new battery. I have the digital charger so you cant over charge the battery which is nice.  Unit was not too old either. battery was out of warranty though.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Sep 21, 2013, 10:13 PM »
I have a similar issue.  Humminbird 165 new this summer.  Allowed to discharge completely and sat unused for several weeks.  Plugged into charger this morning.  Yellow light for about 5 seconds; then clicking increasing to buzzing for about 5 seconds; then light turned green (indicating full charge).  Battery was not charged. 

some chargers can't deal with too low of voltage.
get a car charger that clips on one end and cigarette lighter plug on other end. start your car to get 14 Volts to the battery for some time. then try your wall charger again. they are cheap and nice to have on the go if you want to top charge or forgot to charge and want to charge after you leave home. you could make one easy enough as there isn't any circuit inside the plug and would only want maybe a 20 amp fuse in case you get a short.
i bought mine cheaper than i could build it, for 4$.
i use an after market charger or several of them. the battery tender mini is my go to charger and i have 2 other larger 12v battery chargers. you can use a car charger that plugs into the wall like i do.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 25, 2013, 07:02 AM »
what does it mean when the charger gets hot?

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #18 on: Sep 25, 2013, 07:07 AM »
It means that it s working to hard for one reason or another.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 25, 2013, 08:15 AM »
my battery needed charging and I had it on the chrger for a couple hours and the charger was hot. I unplugged it and the next day, plugged it in again. finished charging but was only warm

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #20 on: Sep 25, 2013, 10:53 AM »
Maybe it was just a fluke then.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.