Author Topic: ontario style ice hut melting roof question...  (Read 1333 times)

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
ontario style ice hut melting roof question...
« on: Sep 26, 2011, 06:59 AM »
I am about 90% done my ontario style hut (tarp roof) that I am planning on using an 8000 BTU propane heater in.  Would the heat from the heater rise and melt the tarp roof right above the heater?  I realize it's a small heater, I just don't want to find out the hard way that a hot spot above the heater will melt a hole in my roof! lol  BTW, I am using one of those "heavy duty" double thickness tarps from PA with the silver side in.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: ontario style ice hut melting roof question...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2011, 09:19 AM »
8K BTU heater in a 4 x 8 tarped hut will be mighty warm, but, as long as you have 3-4 feet above the heater, it will  be okay.

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2011, 09:56 AM »
Luckily the heater has a needle valve on it, and I have a propane lantern too, so I can use it for heat if it gets too hot.  There will be about 4-5 feet of space above the heater, so I guess i will be ok.

Thanks

Offline strik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2011, 07:47 PM »
If you have wood sides where you can attach a shelf  put a shelf above the heater
I made a shelf out of alum  for a friend  he had it about 2` about the heater he said it helped to keep the heat in the hut longer and keeped gloves warm
anyone with a break could make this for you 

If you intersted  and live in the ownsound area let me know could easily bend one up for  at no cost

Either way i sure you will be OK

best of luck with what ever you decide

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:20 PM »
I used to have an Ontario type shelter made of plywood and clear plastic (Canvex). I ran two 12,000 BTU sunflower heaters in it with no problem.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2011, 06:40 AM »
Thanks guys!  Good idea on the shelf!  I have some old fridge shelves (metal grate) that I think would be great for drying socks and gloves on, I could also wrap it up with tin foil which I always have on hand for some poached shore lunches in case I don't have gloves to put on the shelf.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.