Author Topic: Jet Sled Xl wear bars  (Read 6593 times)

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jet Sled Xl wear bars
« on: Sep 20, 2011, 11:22 AM »
Any suggestions on where I can get a set of wear bars for my Jet Sled Xl for a descent price?  Do they work and what other alternatives....would rather not use skis..limited space in vehicle.
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Jet Sled Xl wear bars
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2011, 11:31 AM »
I have heard of people using Trex (or similar) decking cut in strips with good results.

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2011, 11:35 AM »
I used the trex with good results, but now that the price for PVC Trim boards has come down, I started using them ! They are a lot more slippery then the trex and cheaper now !

Offline mattholl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2011, 02:33 PM »
I used Herculiner brush on truck bed liner, its about $27 a quart at Menards. 1 quart was enough for about 3 coats. Its not slippery because its textured, but it doesn't run into the backs of my legs any more going downhill or on smooth ice when I stop! It also make the sled a little thicker and stronger!

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2011, 02:56 PM »
If you go on there web they have local dealers. My hometown bait shop sells the runners and they work awesome.

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2011, 03:57 PM »
home depot or lowes you can pick up some plastic trim that vinyl siders use for around the garage doors, stainless screws counter sunk.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2011, 11:00 AM »
This is just another reason why YOU, the ice shanty nation, are #1..........great advise!!!  Thank you all for some great ideas.. ;D  Tight lines!!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2011, 08:20 PM »
I was wondering about the pvc trim boards, how big of a wear bar do you make out of them. (1x1, 1x2, 2x2) I wasnt sure if 1 inch is thick enough to countersink them without pulling through but I dont want to add to much weight going 2 inch thick

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2011, 09:27 AM »
A-Bomb, I believe you let me know about this last year and I went to that site.  It is a perfect solution....but a couple ?'s.   What size bar do you recommend?  How thick?  Are the bars flexible enough to bend or curve with the sled...front part of sled?  Thanks again for the web site.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2011, 10:33 AM »
Are the bars flexible enough to bend or curve with the sled...front part of sled?

Heat them up first with a torch or heat gun, similar to bending metal but with much less heat temperature. Size? At least 1/4" thick by 1-1/4" wide, preferably thicker.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2011, 05:58 PM »
i bought a set from fish 307..you get 3 runners....junk...wore them out in one season...granted i had to pull the sled 3 miles down a partly snowed covered road...i am going with the other options the previous posters put up
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2011, 06:18 AM »
The 3/4" x 11/2" wide PVC trim works well, countersunk a 1/4" with SS flat head 1/4-20 bolts, fender washers and Nyloc nuts.

Offline problyfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2011, 11:13 PM »
I'm going to put reprocessed UHMW on my clam.  Google it!  Very wear resistant.  It's basically reprocessed cutting board material.  Can get it cut to size here. http://www.interstateplastics.com/index.php

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.