Author Topic: Minnow bucket???  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
Minnow bucket???
« on: Sep 19, 2011, 12:23 PM »
I have been through about 4 different buckets in the last 5 years. None of them seem to hold up and last. Does anybody have any suggestions or prefer a certain style. Plastic or metal?
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Minnow bucket???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2011, 01:02 PM »
I use the white foam one that drops into a five gallon bucket and fits fairly tight. They seem to last until you do something to screw them up like letting the cover freeze down and breaking it trying to get it off. I have been using this type and I'm on my second one in twenty years.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2011, 06:45 AM »
I use a small six pack plus or so plastic cooler for years.  The same insulating properties that keep beverages colder in the summer, helps to keep water from freezing in the winter.  Just be sure to get one that has a decently closing cover and keep it in the hooch with you between baiting and you should be ice free. 
Chris Raymond

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2011, 07:43 AM »
Heres one that was customized built by rebelss out of Minnisota, its called the Minnow Magic ! Best one I used so far ! It also has a net covered divider if you want carry different types of bait !

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2011, 10:24 AM »
Is it a cooler converted?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2011, 10:29 AM »
Yes it is. I did the same thing to one about ten years ago and it works great. I need to put a new pump on mine and start using it again. I use a foam minnow bucket in a five gallon bucket when moving a lot, because the lid on my cooler doesn't lock down and it spills water when I'm moving. I need to put a buckle type latch on it and something to seal the lid. That will give me something to keep me busy for a bit.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Yes it is. I did the same thing to one about ten years ago and it works great. I need to put a new pump on mine and start using it again. I use a foam minnow bucket in a five gallon bucket when moving a lot, because the lid on my cooler doesn't lock down and it spills water when I'm moving. I need to put a buckle type latch on it and something to seal the lid. That will give me something to keep me busy for a bit.
That's a pretty good idea. I'm just tired of spending good money after bad. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2011, 04:00 PM »
Very cool! I keep my bait in the shanty at the door. They wont freeze and there right there when i need a fish.

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2011, 04:27 PM »
I use the white foam one that drops into a five gallon bucket and fits fairly tight. They seem to last until you do something to screw them up like letting the cover freeze down and breaking it trying to get it off. I have been using this type and I'm on my second one in twenty years.
x2

I also have one of these Plano insulated buckets and its pretty rugged and works well when you want something a little smaller.

http://www.basspro.com/Plano&-x00ae;-722-Bait-Bucket/product/89317/131888?cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RLP&cm_pla=89317&cm_ite=description_link

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2011, 08:20 PM »
I need to put a buckle type latch on it and something to seal the lid.

Something to seal the lid.  Try this on an old one.  On the lower lip of the cooler, spray a we bit of PAM or grease the edge with vaseline.  On the lid side, apply a thin bead of sealer like silicone, close it lightly and let it cure for a day. Gently open the lid and let it sit for a while longer while the edge cures.  After a couple days, you can wipe off the PAM or vaseline, the lid with the seal won't stick to the bottom part but closes pretty watertight.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Something to seal the lid.  Try this on an old one.  On the lower lip of the cooler, spray a we bit of PAM or grease the edge with vaseline.  On the lid side, apply a thin bead of sealer like silicone, close it lightly and let it cure for a day. Gently open the lid and let it sit for a while longer while the edge cures.  After a couple days, you can wipe off the PAM or vaseline, the lid with the seal won't stick to the bottom part but closes pretty watertight.
I put 100% silicone rubber on the top edge of the cooler, covered it with waxed paper and closed the lid. I opened it the next day, took the waxed paper off and left it open for a couple more days. Now I'm gonna put some type of latch on it to hold the cover tight and I think window locks might work well since you can tighten them. The cover still bounces enough to spill water when I'm traveling.

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2011, 05:28 AM »
I put mine in a plastic grocery bag during transport and at the end of the day throw my catch in it, Hopefully !  :-\

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2011, 05:25 PM »
I use on of the coleman stackers.  It is like a 18qt cooler.  It is not overly big but i can carry alot of bait in it without issues.  I drilled a small hole fir a air line and use a battery aerator to keep them alive.
Don

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:13 PM »
I take 'em to the lake in the bag w/ O2 from the store, then keep 'em in a hole in a Bait Tamer like this one. Couldn't get them to stay any fresher! I use a larger version for a livewell also...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Minnow-Tamer/700270.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbait%2Btamer%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=bait+tamer&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Ice Dawg:

how did you attach the airerator to the cooler???

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:34 PM »
I use a Frabill foam lined bucket, last one served me well for 20 years, just got a new one this year after somehow missplacing the old one. I just give them fresh water when leaving the lake on Sunday and put them in the bait fridge untill the next weekend....

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Ice Dawg:

how did you attach the airerator to the cooler???
The aireator had a back plate that it snapped into and I screwed that to the cooler.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.