The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Keep the Mako Or go for the Nils?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Keep the Mako Or go for the Nils?
« on: Sep 06, 2011, 10:13 PM »
 I bought a new Eskimo Mako last year and it is awesome,but heavy. I have been seriously thinking of going to a Nils 8" power auger. I weighed my Mako tonight and it is 33LBS. I've read that the Nils is only 20LBS. I hand pull my hut and sled everywhere so weight is a big concern. Do you guy's think that going to the Nils is worth the extra money and 13LBS?
 Thanks for your input!
  Matt

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Keep the Mako Or go for the Nils?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2011, 11:28 PM »
Myself, I would save the money and try to shave weight/make the sled easier to pull.

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2011, 05:12 AM »
For hand pullers, the less weight, the farther you can go ! 13 lbs is quite a bit of weight to shed, even more if you hand driil till the ice gets too thick !

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2011, 05:27 PM »
 Right now with all my equpiment I am 115lbs. Thats sled,poles,vex,auger,cooler,and chair. If I go to the Nils I would drop to just 100lbs. I guess i could give up my tungsten jigs. That would save me 5 lbs! lol

For hand pullers, the less weight, the farther you can go ! 13 lbs is quite a bit of weight to shed, even more if you hand driil till the ice gets too thick !

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Right now with all my equpiment I am 115lbs. Thats sled,poles,vex,auger,cooler,and chair. If I go to the Nils I would drop to just 100lbs. I guess i could give up my tungsten jigs. That would save me 5 lbs! lol
Not that I would, but I'd give up my flasher before I gave up my tungsten jigs. This is just a thought but last year I was fishing a tourney and draging my gear on top of slick black ice (with no cleats) with 6"+ of snow on top of it. Needless to say, I didn't make it to where I knew the fish were. I didn't hardly even make it half way there. I drilled 2 holes and sat there exhausted from hauling all my gear and weight. Sat there all day without a bite. I packed up house an hour before the ending time hoping to make it back before the cutoff time to watch the results. Before hauling all my gear back I got to thinking about how much I love Reel Magic. It keeps all my reels lubed and keeps my line from freezing. I thought to myself, it couldn't hurt to give it a try. I only wish I would have done it sooner. I sprayed it on the bottom of the sled to my TrekkerII. What a dream come true!!! Felt like I was pulling 10lbs as opposed to 120lb. Long story short, I made it back to my truck in 20 minutes, had 20 minutes to spare, and ended up winning the tourney with a nice 24 ince eye with 5 minutes to spare.  ;D  That stuff does wounders!!!   ;D

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2011, 07:18 PM »
 Thats awesome! I would NEVER leave my tungsten at home. That goes for my Vex as well. I sold my Trekker II and I am going to a hub style this year. I liked the Frabill a lot but I want to lighten the load and have more room. With all my gear i will still be under 100lbs. I will try the Reel Magic though on my new sled. That Reel Magic is Biodegradable isn't it? Thanks for the tip. Good Luck! I would act like I won the lottery if I caught a 24" walleye through the ice!!!
  Matt

Not that I would, but I'd give up my flasher before I gave up my tungsten jigs. This is just a thought but last year I was fishing a tourney and draging my gear on top of slick black ice (with no cleats) with 6"+ of snow on top of it. Needless to say, I didn't make it to where I knew the fish were. I didn't hardly even make it half way there. I drilled 2 holes and sat there exhausted from hauling all my gear and weight. Sat there all day without a bite. I packed up house an hour before the ending time hoping to make it back before the cutoff time to watch the results. Before hauling all my gear back I got to thinking about how much I love Reel Magic. It keeps all my reels lubed and keeps my line from freezing. I thought to myself, it couldn't hurt to give it a try. I only wish I would have done it sooner. I sprayed it on the bottom of the sled to my TrekkerII. What a dream come true!!! Felt like I was pulling 10lbs as opposed to 120lb. Long story short, I made it back to my truck in 20 minutes, had 20 minutes to spare, and ended up winning the tourney with a nice 24 ince eye with 5 minutes to spare.  ;D  That stuff does wounders!!!   ;D

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2011, 08:18 PM »
If the Mako works well, starts easy and cuts fast, it's hard to let go of a good gas auger no matter how heavy.
You might want to hang onto it, and just go with a hand crank NILs the first year.  Then, next year, add the Tanaka.
You might be able to pick up a good used one after the season.   Selling an auger this far before the season is tougher than selling  during the season.  If you pull your sled on glare ice or hard pack snow, you can easily pull it with a Mako in it.  If you are facing deep power or slush, maybe you could get by with a hand crank.  I hate to see you take such
a beating on your Mako just to save 13 pounds.

You might want to use a smaller bait buck, but carry an empty 5 gallon for when you get to your fishing area.  Fill the 5 gallon up from your smaller bait bucket, and then gradually add lake water (so as to not shock your bait).  Add a battery
powered bait airator to your equipment--if you use shiners or smelts.

If you use a heater, in your shelter get a smaller refillable tank or live with the 1lb green bombs.

I use a plastic cooler to carry stuff, and then sit on it in my cube so I don't have to carry a chair sometimes.
I use some interlocking foam squares for a floor in my cube, but could get by without them. 
With a good pair of pac boots, you don't need a floor that covers the whole shelter--maybe just one mat
to rest your feet on to keep them off the ice. 
I used an old fashioned (but new) push-pull drill to drill ice anchor pilot holes instead of carrying something bigger/heavier.

I have given up carrying food, other than what I can stuff in my pockets, and I do carry a thermos of coffee.
I used to carry binoculars, but rarely used them, so leave them home most times unless I know there will
be other fishermen I want to keep tabs on.  :o

Cull your equipment.  If you haven't used something in two trips, leave it home. 

Find someone else who likes to fish, and have them pull a sled.  You only need one auger, one shelter, one heater....
distribute the load, but don't load up.

After all, less is more, more or less.

MD
Wish I lived closer.  I'd buy the mako.  You never can have enough gas augers!

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2011, 09:31 PM »
 Thanks for the tips Mainedog. I like the idea of useing the cooler for a seat. I have a pair of the Clam boots so my feet should be good. I do use a heater and yes I do use the little green bombs. When I had my Trekker last year I did use another sled and that was a big help. I would pull the Trekker and my fishin bud would pull the sled. I thought about getting the Nils hand auger and keeping the Mako but I got a good deal on it last year and should be able to get what I paid for it. I will just lose out on what I paid for the carrying case. I think I'm sold on the fact that the Nils is both augers in one. I just hope I can get it in time for first ice!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2011, 09:41 PM »
I have to admit, red, I'm lazy, and never hand cranked a hole with my Nils.
I keep telling myself I'm going to do it, even with thin ice (10" or less), but never do.
First year I ice fished, I drilled 5 holes with my Mora through 3' of ice.  The next day
I was so sore, I could hardly turn the crank to reopen them.  Granted the Nils has
an offset crank (top hand is not directly over the bit shaft--and in theory makes it
easier to drill since both hands apply turning force), but I just pull the cord, even
in thin ice. 

MD

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2011, 09:45 PM »
 since we are beeing honest ;) I will prob never hand crank it either. Thats why I like that it is so light. But you have to admit is sounds good ;D

I keep telling myself I'm going to do it, even with thin ice (10" or less), but never do.
First year I ice fished, I drilled 5 holes with my Mora through 3' of ice.  The next day
I was so sore, I could hardly turn the crank to reopen them.  Granted the Nils has
an offset crank (top hand is not directly over the bit shaft--and in theory makes it
easier to drill since both hands apply turning force), but I just pull the cord, even
in thin ice. 

MD

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:10 AM »
I'm a 52 year old fat ass and have used my Nils to drill thru 3 feet of ice with no major problems.  It's so sharp and cuts so quickly with so little effort that I seldom use my power head - and never when there is less than 12" of ice. 

in thin ice. 

MD
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:38 AM »
I was still dragging my two man flipover around on the ice with everything in it when I was in my early sixties including my heavy Jiffy. So my advice would be get the Nils. I would have one, but I'm old and poor.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.