Author Topic: Crappie will be eligible in the 2012 Meredith rotary derby  (Read 2614 times)

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I found this on another site,

The 2012 Ice Fishing Derby-new species added

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone: The 2012 Meredith Rotary Great Ice Fishing Derby will be held the weekend of February 11-12, 2012. This year, we will be adding a new species to the boards: The Black Crappie.

NH Fish & Game report that this species has been recently introduced to New Hampshire waters, inhabiting quiet, weedy areas of lakes, ponds and streams. Black crappies are in the Sunfish family and grow up to 16 inches long and can weigh 5 lbs. They are characterized by their round body, greenish back, silvery belly and silverly sides with black markings. Jigs fished through the ice are successful crappie lures.

Minimum Black Crappie that can be entered into the Derby will be 13 inches. 

Offline bassin329

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Crappie will be eligible in the 2012 Meredith rotary derby
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Hi,
I know the amount of Crappie put in may be in the thousands, but do you think it will be a fish caught a lot this winter on Winni?
Respect the land and water you tread on, it's not just yours.

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2011, 04:55 PM »
Thats Great news James, thank you for posting that !!  Hee Hee Hee,  Hello Crappie Honey Hole !!   ;)2 :icefish:

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2011, 07:33 PM »
 :o :o  Its been a long time since I fished the Derby but there are plenty of big crappie in Winnie. 
Last winter Surf pointed me in the general direction of crappie at Winni and I found more than enough to feed me at the cottage for a whole week.   Crappie spots , like Walleye spots are super secret but if you put in your time you will take home some super crappie fillets and maybe hook a 2 pounder to win a prize at the Derby. 
But, ice is a long way off so I'm heading south to catch some warm water crappie tomorrow.  Maybe some stripers too.   Big Fish Fry promised for my family this weekend.  Dipped in egg wash and coated in Italian flavored bred crumbs and flour and deep fried in Butter Flavored Crisco.  Sorry Surf!!  That's not on your diet!!

Dick

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2011, 11:35 AM »
very interesting !!!this could be a real distraction from the taggies i'll be hunting ... ;D

surflizard

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2011, 12:19 PM »
There are Money Maker Crappie swimmin around like Dick said, finding them is the tricky part !  ;)2

Good to see ya Finless !
P.S. Hey Dick, Crappie fish cakes are Way better  !!  :thumbsup: :roflmao:

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2011, 04:53 PM »
 :tipup: :tipup:  Surf, any special recipe for the crappie fish cakes?   Spent last Thursday in southern NH and took home about 3 lbs of fillets.   If I deep fry all of them I'm sure I will be dead by the end of the week :-\
  Trolled them up right on top of the January ice fishing spot.  Strange to be catching fish at 80 degrees at the same spot that I will be jigging them in -10 degree wind :o

Can I at least have tartar sauce on my fish cakes??  :'(

Dick

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2011, 05:52 PM »
I had a feeling you would be able to get on them over there. I scouted a few locations this summer closer to home, now all I need is ice !! I got the recipe that I use from Crappie.com, there are several on there to choose from ! The Crappie Fritters are to die for !  :thumbsup:

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2011, 06:44 PM »
sweet!....may end up trying a few places to bring home the first crappie trophie!!!
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2011, 06:57 PM »
I've never bothered to fish the Derby.  But if I did I would probably find myself filleting a 15" crappie instead of entering it.    You guys are so lucky to live down state.   Other than walleye and pike I have to travel two hours down state or two hours to Champlain for the best summer or winter fishing. 
Dick

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2011, 04:07 PM »
That will be interesting, i will hopefully get a pickerel that is big enough.

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2011, 02:02 PM »
very cool!!  can't wait to see the size of the boarded crappie.  pike king's dad caught a 16"er out of winni a couple years back.  there are some nice ones in there...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2011, 08:03 PM »
I think it's great that they are putting in crappie as a derby fish. I don't fish for crappie nor do I fish the derby however I think it will help reduce rainbow pressure possibly.

I see that crappie fishing can be a very competitive sport.

Go Go Get Em!

JIGGIN.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Huh, might have to change my strategy for Derby 2012... I caught some open water this year @)
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.