Author Topic: Relectix-How much?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
Relectix-How much?
« on: Aug 28, 2011, 08:23 AM »
I am thinking about putting some reflectix in my Clam Guide this year to help stop the wind and use less propane.   I am not 100% sure how much to use, I have a few different ideas and I am hoping you guys can help me out. 

1st Idea:   Run the reflectix up the back and across the top and stop there.  It will definitely help out with the wind blowing down the back and neck and keep things warmer.

2nd Idea:  Run it from the back all the way around the front.  The positive is that it would really reflect the heat back into the shack and keeps things very warm with little to no heat.  Negative is that it would cover the windows and I wouldn't be able to watch tipups out front (no door in the shack so I wouldn't be covering it up.

What do you guys think?

Offline burty12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Relectix-How much?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2011, 09:43 AM »
cut out the areas for your windows and use thin aluminum ducting tape it sticks well to the fabric on the clam shelters, i did this on my clam 2000 and it lasted the whole season.

Also the more you use the it gets pretty hard to fold up

mark

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2011, 07:00 PM »
has anyone tried using velcro to hold it on? i have a 50' roll of 1.5" wide velcro with sticky back.  i was going to cut it in half so it was 3/4" wide and use that to hold the reflectix on
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2011, 08:07 PM »
I Ran it from the base of my sled, up the back wall and across the top.
 I took loose all the Velcro straps from the poles. Slid the reflectix between the poles and the tent material. Next i  marked the poles on the reflectix with a permanent marker. Next i measured where the velcro is located on the tent material. I cut slots in the relectix where the velcro straps are on the tent that connect to the poles. Where i cut the reflectix i used Gorilla Tape to reinforce the edges. Then i pulled the velcro straps through the reflectix and hooked it to the poles. I just cut out the window piece, reinforced the edges and applied velcro to the window flap and window piece of reflectix so you can take it in and out.
The whole things goes up and down like it isn't even there. Heating it is easier and No Drip. It did cut down on wind noise and that great rattle noise.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2011, 08:31 PM »
I Ran it from the base of my sled, up the back wall and across the top.
 I took loose all the Velcro straps from the poles. Slid the reflectix between the poles and the tent material. Next i  marked the poles on the reflectix with a permanent marker. Next i measured where the velcro is located on the tent material. I cut slots in the relectix where the velcro straps are on the tent that connect to the poles. Where i cut the reflectix i used Gorilla Tape to reinforce the edges. Then i pulled the velcro straps through the reflectix and hooked it to the poles. I just cut out the window piece, reinforced the edges and applied velcro to the window flap and window piece of reflectix so you can take it in and out.
The whole things goes up and down like it isn't even there. Heating it is easier and No Drip. It did cut down on wind noise and that great rattle noise.

thats exactly what I planned on doing.

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2011, 08:58 PM »
that is what I was thinking also but was ganna use the velcro on the edges of the reflectix to attach it to the denier just wandering if anyone has tried that or if there was a better way to attach it between the poles?
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2011, 06:29 AM »
I installed mine the same way, worked well all season, and much less rattle.  Just by the wider rolls at Home D.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2011, 06:26 AM »
On my Trap Pro, I just ran it over the top 3 poles, passing between the fabric and the poles with slots cut for the velcro loops, and it eleiminated the frost forming overhead and dripping. I never had any issues with the Reflectix moving or shifting with it mounted this way over 2 seasons, I guess you could try mouting it with the adhesive velcro and see how it works. 

A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.