Author Topic: Can't even find gear to buy??  (Read 1649 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Can't even find gear to buy??
« on: Aug 05, 2011, 10:07 AM »
 Trying to keep myself occupied I thought I could at least buy some ice fishing stuff ahead of time.
NO LUCK!! >:( >:(   Hali jigs are nearly impossible to find(unless I buy 20 at a time)
Love my new Nils hand auger so much that I thought I would  buy another with 6" blade!!   NO LUCK!!
Can't even find a 6" replacement blade??
Which one of you have bought all the NILS Augers?? ::) ::)

I did make reservations at Holiday Harbor N. Hero Lake Champlain for the second week of January. Fished there last week and I must have caught a 1,000 big blue gill and crappie as well as a dozen huge bowfin.

Dick

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Can't even find gear to buy??
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2011, 01:48 PM »
 Hey, Dick... Don't know what part of the state you are from but if you are willing to travel Steve's Bait Shop in North Hartland, Vt. has plenty of Hali's in stock. Just a heads up.

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2011, 01:52 PM »
Well Dick, thats just one more thing to add to my list of reasons of why I think Summer is Way Overrated !!  :roflmao:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2011, 06:20 PM »
OMG go on line found all kinds of stuff, i by things  all summer long ,

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Maybe you have heard of E-BAY.    Nils is kind of hard to find but I have seen them on there. Most of the better deals are in the Summer when most aren't looking to buy cause they don't need it for this weekend.   ;)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2011, 07:08 AM »
I feel your pain. I searched all last summer for a Nils with no luck. I couldn't find any Nils products until December. Then I found them on the Kittery Trading Post web site. They only lasted about a week. I did manage to buy an 8" Nils hand auger with free shipping. After using it last year it was well worth the wait. Good luck.

Capt. Black

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2011, 07:37 PM »
Jimmy,   Thanks for mentioning EBay!   I went to the site and found a super deal!!   
Twenty (20) Hali jigs for less than $2.00 each.   I'm set for the next two winters.   Now if I could only find a Nils 6" hand auger :-\ :-\
Dick 

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2011, 04:31 PM »
There is a 6" nils on Craig's list Dick, only problem is that its in Minnesota !! the shipping is a killer !

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2011, 08:01 AM »
  Thanks Surf,  I'll check it out.  Maybe I could use it as an excuse to go fishing in Minn. ::)    In any event my Nils 41/2" hand auger is so fast that I will probably make two connected holes faster than my old 6" auger can make one?   The little auger is super for searching with fish finder and I did pull a 3lb large mouth through the hole last winter.   Easy to get it out but hard to push it back down again :-\     

My wife wants to know why I can't just use my hand chisel after "first ice" and just keep the holes open every day the way the eskimos do ::)   

How come LLT buys you ice fishing stuff and my wife gets me a new push mower and house paint :-\ :P

Oh Well!  I have to go fishing now.  Otherwise I will have to mow the lawn again this month??

Dick

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2011, 08:09 AM »
Just do what I did Dick, Take her up to Cabelas and just let her walk around !! It definately helps if she likes to Ice fish too !!  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2011, 10:55 AM »
OK!  So when are you going to let LLT go to Cabelas with me ;D ;D??
Dick

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Just as soon as you remorgage the house, she has expensive taste when it comes to picking out Ice fishing Gear !  :woot: ;)2 :roflmao:

On a Serious note, we went up there for the Cabelas Ice fishing classic days, what a BLAST !! We came home with all kinds of free gear from all the different givaways ! Shirts, gloves, hats, lures, line and tackle !! It was Well worth the trip !  :thumbsup:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Jimmy,   Thanks for mentioning EBay!   I went to the site and found a super deal!!   
Twenty (20) Hali jigs for less than $2.00 each.   I'm set for the next two winters.   Now if I could only find a Nils 6" hand auger :-\ :-\
Dick
Keep checking and don't bid against me... :nono:
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 16, 2011, 04:51 PM »
OK Jimmy!  I promise??
Dick

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2011, 05:10 PM »
This seems to be the trend. They do not like having stock sitting around till next season. Then when they do get
it seems like it flies off the shelf. My best advise would be to save up so when stuff hits the shelf you will have
the cash ready to go! ;D
Fish on!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 16, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Usually I am creeping in the sporting goods stores after late Feb. as to inventory what gear they are going to dump in March. We have a couple of Dicks here (4) that transfer all the ice gear to one store at the bitter end before trout season to dump it at 75% off.  That's when you should be buying for next season or Xmas.  ;D

surflizard

« Reply #16 on: Aug 18, 2011, 05:49 AM »
I located most of the top brand ice gear customer service numbers and have them on speed dial and in my email contact list ! I have Solicited email notifications from several manufactures for the initial dealers shipping dates ! Even though most are showing signs of surprise at someone requesting shipping dates of ice fishing gear in July and August, they have been very forthcoming with the information !  :thumbsup:

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2011, 10:27 PM »
trading post had an eskimo pop up, 2 eskimo augers, and a jiffy propane auger out allready. not sure on the details for them, sorry I was in a rush.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2011, 05:58 PM »
 :) :)  Got nice  PM from Capt'n Black to let me know that Nils augers and heads will be available for October.  I already ordered a 6" head for a hand auger.  ?????   Does anyone know if I can mount the 6" head on my existing hand auger that now has 4 1/2" head????     I am willing to buy whole new auger but it would be great to just change heads if I need bigger holes.   

Dick

surflizard

« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2011, 06:02 PM »
I don't think so Dick, the bit flutes won't match up, different radius !

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2011, 06:02 PM »
:) :)  Got nice  PM from Capt'n Black to let me know that Nils augers and heads will be available for October.  I already ordered a 6" head for a hand auger.  ?????   Does anyone know if I can mount the 6" head on my existing hand auger that now has 4 1/2" head????     I am willing to buy whole new auger but it would be great to just change heads if I need bigger holes.   

Dick

I dont think it would work, but I could be wrong. I have the 4 and my buddy has the 6 and theres definetly a size differece. I would imagine where the blade head attaches would be a different size on the two.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Ah!  But?  The big auger flutes simply take the ice away and up from the cutting blades??  Might not keep the hole as clean as larger flutes but maybe I can simply rise and lower the flutes more often to flush out the ice that has been sheared by the cutting blades??    I don't know but I thought it might be something to think about??

Dick

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Ah!  But?  The big auger flutes simply take the ice away and up from the cutting blades??  Might not keep the hole as clean as larger flutes but maybe I can simply rise and lower the flutes more often to flush out the ice that has been sheared by the cutting blades??    I don't know but I thought it might be something to think about??

Dick

Seems like more troube than its worth to me, but it might work.  ???
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2011, 06:20 AM »
 ::) ::)  OK!  Your right :'(  I'm going to order a whole new Nils hand auger(6").  I have a 10" Jiffy for any big holes I need to make but I'm getting kind of old and achy to move it around a lot :-\   
Now!  All I have to figure out how to get the UPS driver to sneak the new auger to the back door so my wife doesn't see it :o :o
Dick

surflizard

« Reply #24 on: Sep 20, 2011, 06:49 AM »
Hey Dick
I was curious about when the Nils were hitting the shelves here locally so I called Nils Master in VT. They said Cabelas in Scarborough ME, normaly have Nils by the second week in October. A call to Cabelas confirmed it !

Surf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.