Author Topic: New Otter "Wild 3" for 2011  (Read 4278 times)

Offline pescador

• IceShanty Rookie
New Otter "Wild 3" for 2011
« on: Jul 31, 2011, 10:42 AM »
I am currently looking at new equipment and was considering buying a Otter Wild 3 for a portable sled shanty.

I couldn't find any so I called Otter and was able to speak to a very nice guy who said that the Wild series will be new for 2011/2012. It will have new black/gray camo similar to the pro series and the same poles for the tent as the pro series.  It will also have a new name, something with Otter in it?

I'm just getting back into hardwater fishing and have been reading all the great info all of you post here. It's really nice to read your experience with equipment when shelling out big money (at least it is for me) on new stuff.

I think Otter makes a good sled/shanty? But would appreciate any info you might have. I was also considering a Frabill Predator?

Thanks again. ;D

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New Otter "Wild 3" for 2011
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2011, 11:43 AM »
Yeah. I hear this years wild series will have a themal top. I also hear they are gonna come out with a full thermal line of flipovers this year.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2011, 09:07 PM »
Otter makes the best. Its also the most heavy and expensive. But if you have the cash and something to pull it with it should be a great shanty for you.  ;D
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline pescador

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2011, 11:52 PM »
I'm going to have to pull it myself because no motorized vehicles are allowed on some of the lakes I want to fish.

I don't plan on having to pull it far (I hope), do you think this is do-able? I've never had one of these sled shantys before.

Thanks ;D

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2011, 09:21 AM »
If your hand pulling, not only the weight of the portable will be an issue, but the rest of the gear also. With the combined weight of my 2 man Frabill and all the assorted gear, Big buddy heater and 11 gal propane tank, Camera, Sonar, Gas auger, Bait bucket and other assorted gear, I estimate my outfit is right around 250 lbs ! I pulled it once last season by hand due to a quick high temp melt causing 8 to 10 " of thick slush ! It almost put me in the hospital ! If it were me, I would carefully consider the empty weight of every brand of portable shanty available before I made my finally choice of which brand to go with ! Otter is considered by many as the Cadillac of portables, but also as one of the Heaviest Too ! Good luck with whatever brand you choose and let us know how you like it ! Just my .02

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2011, 11:06 AM »
i pull a 1 man flip and with gear sometimes its a bear to pull by hand.i sure dont want to know what a 2 or 3 man flip with gear pulls like...unless i have a quad/snowmobile or build another smitty sled 

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2011, 01:03 PM »
There is no way in he!! I'd buy a 3man flip if I had to pull by hand. I've had my Trekker ll now for 3 years that I pull by hand and with all the gear I haul, it even gets to be a bear. Its only a rough guess but I'd say I'm pullin about 130lbs total. I do like all that extra room I have, but now I'm looking for a 1.5 man flip. (btw, I'm only 30 years old and in good shape)

Offline pescador

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2011, 03:01 PM »
I'm in decent shape so I never really gave being able to pull the sled much thought.

But now I may need to look into it a little more.

Thanks, this is why I'm asking.

Collectively all of you have a lot valueable experience that I appreciate. ;D

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2011, 03:14 PM »
By the way pescador, Welcome to the site, Glad to have ya aboard ! Feel free to ask Questions at any time, out of the 36,263 some odd members here, somebody should be able to scare up the info or at least be able to point you in the right direction !  :roflmao:

Offline pescador

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Thanks "Surflizard" ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 02, 2011, 06:38 AM »
I've got the 1-man "commando" by Frabill and when I get my auger and propane tank on it ----I'm thinking its pushing close to a 100#'s.  Pulling it through any depth of snow makes it a pain.  I built an elevated sled for it to reduce the drag which helps.  I ended up buying a trailer ---that and my 4 wheeler will become my new best friend for this up-coming winter season................ ...

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Aug 02, 2011, 07:52 AM »
That is a wise choice dairyman, A decent used snowmobile or a decent used 4 wheeler is a lot cheaper than a trip to the ER for a blown Disc, Hernia or worse case scenario, a Massive Coronary ! Trust me on this one, been there, done that !  :(

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2011, 08:38 AM »
I put skis on my Jet sled (as I was wearing holes in it pulling it around over the years). Elevating just a few inches made a huge difference in pulling and pushing it.

After adding the skis , I found out I could stand on the skis and ride, so I added the push bar.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline pescador

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Aug 03, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Nice sled Jimmy, now all you need is about six dogs. ;D

Just kidding, you have some serious work into that sled.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 03, 2011, 07:06 PM »
You might consider a cube type shelter for the days you have to pull it yourself.
Fits in a jetsled and weights much less and is large enough for 3.  Downside is that it is
not as mobile, but if you are hoofing it, I don't how much you'd be moving around....all
that gear gets heavy.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 03, 2011, 08:05 PM »
exactly!

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 04, 2011, 05:41 PM »
My brother in law and I struggle pulling my Otter 3....I'm average but he's a big dude.  We do it but don't go far, usually it's before we can drive out but have less than 6".  I might have to see about getting new canvas if they new version has a thermal top, that would be nice!

Offline pescador

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Aug 04, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Thanks jimmyclaude

I took your advise and ordered a Eskimo, Quickfish 3.

After hearing about how hard it was to pull the sled/shanty combo's, I started looking at pop-up's and decided to get one of those instead. At leased until I can afford a snowmobile to pull a heavy combo rig around, and in this economy that won't be for several years, if I'm lucky.

I looked at posts about pop-up's until my eyes hurt and decided either the Eskimo or shappell were good for me. Then I found a great deal on a Quickfish 3, so I bought it.

It's off season now and I have been finding some things marked down, so I'm picking them up as I find them.

Now all I need is ----------------- almost everything else.  ;D

Good thing I got some time before the ice sets in.

Thanks again

Offline pescador

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Aug 04, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Thanks Jasond37

Thanks for the info about how difficult it is to pull the combo sled, I had no idea.

I really like the looks of the Otter 3, but I really don't want to pull my back out while fishing.

Most or the lakes close to me won't allow any gas powered machines on or in them, they even frown at gas augers. So I'll be pulling my rig. ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2011, 06:18 AM »
The K.I.S.S. rule has always been my creed.  I have went with guys that need a moving van to haul all the gear. It's all nice and stuff but.....

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2011, 07:20 AM »
My buddy bought a Otter Wild 2 last year and I really liked it, especially the bench seat and deep sled so I was thinking of getting one this year. Then I saw the new shuttle series from Frabill which swayed me that way but now upgrade to the Otter wild is swaying me back. Can't wait to see pics.

Offline 3rd_Geer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Aug 20, 2011, 03:42 PM »
I know that heavier and bigger sleds are usually harder to pull, but you also have to look at the bottom of the sleds design. I got a clam kodiak because I thought it would be easier to pull.  It turned out that in snow it was harder to pull than my medium otter sled was. The otter has a way better design to the sled bottom and it pulled over the snow easier, the clam dug into the snow. Weight is definitely a huge factor but sled design plays a big part into it, of course if its glare ice you can almost hand tow a pickup around behind you. ;D

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Aug 20, 2011, 11:07 PM »
I mounted downhill ski's directly to the bottom of my frabill. Really helped with the snow, especially loaded down with my equipment. 

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2011, 06:13 PM »
I was at Gander today and they had the Otter Wild 3 thermal on display. Got a chubby just sitting in it partly because the ice should be here soon and partly because this is a very nice pop up.

My quick assessment, Well built and very sturdy with tons of room. About the nicest pop up I have ever been in and I would sure love to grab one. Blows all the others on display away they had most of them right there. The frame work is substantial as is the material and the sled. They hit a grand slam with this one.

On the down side from my perspective, I can't get one! It weighs in at 96 pounds before you ad any of your gear. It is BIG! I mostly fish with my dog and always on a lake that allows no machines to drag the gear. Loading all my stuff and dragging this monster down to the ice, worse going back up, would be a heart attack in the making. Two guys is very doable with this unit and there is plenty of room inside to be more than comfortable. I absolutely love it but it just will not fit my abilities to get it in and out of the truck or out to where I do my fishing.
I have had a Trap Guide for over 8 years now and that is about the max I can handle as a one man show. Sure would be great to have an Otter Wild 3 and I expect to see them on the ice this year for sure.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline clarkam4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2011, 12:29 PM »
I have an Otter 2 man the thing is huge you could def get 3 people in it, built to last great product, a little heavy but weights less then the frabill's.

Offline Pork

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2011, 12:39 PM »
I have the 2 man otter as well. Love it.
I pull it myself & it's all the sled I'd care to drag around.
I modified a tree stand safety harness to pull with & it really helped. Keeps it centered & leaves hands free.
Going to add the pvc board runners this year for hopefully a little more help.

I have fished 3 out of it & it's doable & not too cramped...but 2 is the way to go for comfort.
If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.