Author Topic: Not Alaska, but close!  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Not Alaska, but close!
« on: Apr 22, 2011, 06:58 PM »
Buddy of mine from Kenai came over last week with his granddaughter.  Ten years old, and she fished pike and burbot like a pro!  These are her keepers, all under thirty inches.  We had a big fish fry when we got home that evening.

She landed three that went back in. One was 36 inches, and quick-weighed right at 17 pounds before sliding back down the hole.  Her biggest was 39 inches.  We didn't weigh it, just quickly slid it back in, but it was an easy 20 pounds.

She also caught a bunch of burbot, and an inconnu (sheefish) that couldn't come up a ten inch hole, on another lake.  She played it for ten minutes or so.  I saw the fish at the hole, and it was possibly the biggest inconnu I have ever seen.  

I have seen several forty pounders, and one that I didn't catch myself, but saw personally, that weighed 67 pounds.  Her fish looked like that one, but got off before we could make the hole larger.

She is one happy kid, and as you can see, her Papa is some proud!  Guess where she wants to come fishing this summer? :)

Ted

surflizard

Re: Not Alaska, but close!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2011, 05:50 AM »
Congrats Ted, sounds like she had the trip of a lifetime !

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2011, 11:37 PM »
i had no idea sheefish ran that far up the yukon river..........awesome post though Ted
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2011, 12:11 AM »
i had no idea sheefish ran that far up the yukon river..........awesome post though Ted

They are in all the tributaries and most of the lakes over here.  The 67 pounder came out of Teslin Lake.  Most of them are caught incidentally, while trolling for lake trout.  I have caught them while casting or drift fishing on the Teslin River, and while ice fishing on Labarge Lake.  Friend of mine has caught a lot of them in Kluane Lake.  Lots of them caught in nets, too, by commercial guys.

We had a great day.  Thanks for the compliment.  I am not much of a photographer, but luck out once in a while.

Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2011, 12:20 AM »
Congrats Ted, sounds like she had the trip of a lifetime !

They were the biggest fish she has ever caught, and she was super excited, of course.  We all caught fish, including her grampa. :) I love taking kids fishing, and this was an especially good two days!

Going out again tomorrow with two kids and their folks.  Will post some pics when we get back.

Ted

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.