The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Any one tried this? Power head adapted to a hand auger blade???  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just wondering if anyone has done this. I have a 7 inch Strikemaster Lazer hand auger and a 10.25 inch Strikemaster Mag 2000 power auger.
Seems like I could make a simple adaptor to size down the power shaft to accept the hand auger blade.
Some days I have no need for the 10.25 inch hole and would love to use the power head to drill the smaller size.
If you ever looked at the price of the power Auger blades by them selves you will understand why I am asking this.
If anyone has an 8 inch power auger blade they want to sell reasonable then please let me know in a PM. It has to be Strikemaster that twists Clockwise.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline FishnFiend

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just a Fiend for Fishn'
I too have the 10-1/4" Mag200, & have thought the exact same thing. I would be attaching an 8" lazer hand auger. The 10" drill just seems too heavy for that motor. I'm not getting enough RPM's for the thing to cut effortlessly. Do you have the same problem?

I'm interested to see answers to your question, & find out if I'm just doing something wrong.

The Fiend :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Actually, my Mag 2000 cuts a 10.25 inch hole with out any effort at all. I do allow the engine to warm up a bit before putting it under load. Also check your oil ratio and if the choke is all the way off. I am strictly concerned with the weight factor because I like to hike into a remote pond and the Lazer hand auger blade is half the weight of the power auger blade.
I suspect if your Mag is having trouble with the 10 inch it will not get much better with an 8 until you determine the real problem. Maybee a simple carb adjustment but it should eat ice easy.

suskymusky

My buddy has a Post hole digger.I was wondering if I could get some kind of adapter so we could convert it into an ice auger.I have old Mora augers for parts.They have an auger blade for it, but its like 90 bucks plus shipping.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
First you have to determine the direction of rotation of the power head. If it turns clockwise then you can find a Strike master auger, If counter clockwise then you need a jiffy or other brand auger blade.
I have an old Jiffy or other that spins counter clockwise. It is pretty beat up but straight and could work for what you want. It would need a new cutting blade because I think it was used to drill dirt. You could have it for the cost of shipping and packing. A little paint would make it look fine and a new blade would make it cut ice. It was in the shed when I bought the house so I have no clue what it is for or who made it.
Good luck with your project.
Gary

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.