Author Topic: Which HUB style to buy?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Which HUB style to buy?
« on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:13 PM »
 I have a Trekker 2 and really like it,but this year we got alot of snow and was thinking of buying a hub style for when I have to walk in. I saw the Eskimo Qucikfish 2 and the Frabills,but wanted some owners opinions. I normally fish with a buddy so i need space for two guys and gear. Thanks for the info!
  Matt

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
Re: Which HUB style to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:19 PM »
My input is, do not get a Cabela's Hub shelter (made by Clam) it lasted about half of this year & I am not hard on my gear.
I have fished out of a Frabill Outpost Hub Shelter & was very impressed; it seemed to made of a thicker material (compared to Clam) & it just seemed all around sturdier. My vote goes toward Frabill!

-South

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:46 PM »
I have the Eskimo Quickfish 3. It does a good job keeping you from the elements, fairly dry, and plenty warm but I had issues with the hubs. They fell apart so I called customer service- My pop-up was replaced with no questions, quickly. Every hub I have owned (hunting and fishing) has not lasted like I feel it should for the price they run. Flip over?
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2011, 02:57 PM »
I have the quickfish 3.  So far 2 seasons no problem.  You can fit 3 people in it, but 2 people fit with alot more room.  With me and a buddy we can set up two fold out chairs, heater, flasher, and camera with room for two buckets.  My only complaint is that this shanty is a pain in the butt to set up in the wind.  You will need to use the supplied anchors with any wind over 10mph.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2011, 04:56 PM »
I have the quickfish 3.  So far 2 seasons no problem.  You can fit 3 people in it, but 2 people fit with alot more room.  With me and a buddy we can set up two fold out chairs, heater, flasher, and camera with room for two buckets.  My only complaint is that this shanty is a pain in the butt to set up in the wind.  You will need to use the supplied anchors with any wind over 10mph.

The Quickfish 3 is great for room. We've slept 2 with room for holes and heater! Heats up fast and holds it well too
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline icenovice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2011, 05:19 PM »
This was my first year with a hub.  I got the eskimo qf 4.  worked great and no issues. the ice anchors work great and install easily by hand. I would buy one again.

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Agreed. The ice anchors are the best that I have used. Alot nicer than the clam ones.  Nice to crank them in by hand.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2011, 07:35 PM »
I like my HT  light and pops up in a few seconds once you have done it a time or two
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2011, 08:51 PM »
best bang for the buck.  kill zone shanty on ebay.  nice shanty and very cheap.  i have had mine 3 seasons now and have to say it is durable and im very happy with it.

Offline _Monster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing's always better.....on WEED'EZ
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2011, 10:04 AM »
I've got the Clam Base Camp.  It weighs about 28 pounds, and is pretty easy to sling across my back and lug around while i drag my sled behind me.  It's 6'x6'x84".  I am 6'3" and stand up easily in it, which is awesome. I have fished 3 guys in it shoulder-to-shoulder while having my sled inside and all buckets, a vex and a x67c, lantern, etc. setup and was totally comfortable.  It takes about 3 minutes to put up and 2 minutes to take down.  It has 2 doors, which I think is key, especially if you want to fish 3 guys in it.

I have a buddy who has a killzone that is 5'x5'.  It may be a bit lighter, but it is CRAMPED in comparision to mine.  I would definitely say you should limit your scope to 6'x6' that has 2 doors since you want to fish 3 guys in it.

Offline McIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a Kid FISHING!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2011, 12:19 PM »
I just got a nice deal on the BIG Killzone hub-style. I bought through E-Bay for $119.00 + free shipping. I can't wait to get it for "Father's Day". The wife and kid's did a nice job on this year's gift.  ;)

By the way..., you can get the same shack on Killzone's web site for the same price, + free shipping.

Can't wait for next year!!!  :tipup:
I wasn't running the net!                  :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.