Author Topic: Ice fishing March 13 2011  (Read 2088 times)

Offline xXICEFISHXx

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing March 13 2011
« on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:27 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLh2J3ReC5I
Heres a vid of yesterday at Sylvan lake.

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing March 13 2011
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:30 PM »
Very nice whitefish!! That would be a lot of fun on a jigging rod!

Offline #1Younggun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2011, 08:37 PM »
What were they biting on?

Offline mustard73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Watch closely at 1:26 and you can see the lure.

Offline xXICEFISHXx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2011, 07:27 PM »
Oh sorry should have been a little quicker. Its a big gold thumper and next weekend or the one after will be absolutly insane with it if it is anytrhing like last year. Its like endlessly catching burbot and whites. Me and my buddy got our limit in an hour of whites and burbs last year and could have got three times that if I stayed but I wanted to get the gutting done.   

Offline Vacation

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2011, 06:20 PM »
Any tips on where on the lake? Rge rd 23 perhaps? I am heading there tomorrow with the kiddies and wife.

Offline xXICEFISHXx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2011, 11:17 PM »
Wanna meet me at the norglenwold boat launch at noon? Ill try to hook u guys up with a few. (and ill show you my spot ;) ) Come with these if you do come, You can get them at castaway sports downtown. I would share but I go with my buddy and only have two left lol.

If you come later than 12:15 than go to the norglenwold boat launch and head Left. Keep going untill you see two people on black fold out chairs doing this --->  :icefish:

Offline slingshotz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2011, 09:55 AM »
I'm going to try and get up there tomorrow and was wondering if you have to walk out now or is the snow packed down enough to drive out?  I've only ever been to Sylvan once so I've still got lots to learn about it.  What depth of water should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Offline xXICEFISHXx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2011, 12:11 PM »
There is packed roads and as long as you have a truck and stick to the roads you are fine. Look for water 10-15 feet deep with a sandy bottom.

Offline perchfinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Nice batch of whites you got there!

Offline Vacation

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2011, 09:20 AM »
Hey XXicefishig XX, I came in on Norglenwood launch at around noon and went left. I never saw you. My best guess is you may have been all the way over at Half moon? Anyways no- worries. Always good to fish new areas. We fished west of the Norglen access, no takers. I did move into the depths and saw a white and a large perch but they were not interested. I think I am heading to Yellowhead this next weekend. Cheers and hope you did well at Sylvan. Good luck everyone.....

Vacation

Offline xXICEFISHXx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2011, 05:07 PM »
I ended up going at 4:00 because my friend wouldnt answer his phone >:(. And to top it off some guy got a 25 pd pike 5 whites and 3 burbs right by my spot and I only got one whitefish.

On sunday(yesterday) it was very very snowy but after sitting all day only getting a tiny walleye the sun poked out. It was swarming with burbot and whitefish for about 20 mins right before dark and me and my buddy managed 4 burbs and 3 whites.

Offline Vacation

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Good to hear you got a few. That big pike would have been nice. :o

Offline xXICEFISHXx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2011, 06:36 PM »
Hey kingfish tell me if you got my message cuz i did reply

Offline burbhunter667

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Hey xxicefishxx just wounding if i could get a few tips on the burbs on sylvan there down south i catch them alot with just using tip ups and sucker meat or minnows. but in sylvan i just catch walleye after walleye lol.

Offline xXICEFISHXx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Alright.
For Burbot I think of a lazy fish. They will hit alive things but arent going to chase it down, probly because they are not efficient swimmers. Because of this you bait should look wounded or already dead. I have heard the little noodle on their chin is for attracting small baitfish in realy colse so they can just suck them up. If you are using minnows that are just going to sit still be sure that they are perfectly horizontal and strait up and down. It should look like a minow just sitting there.

-During the day put the minnow right near the bottom. As it gets dark you can start to move the minnow up higher but I wouldnt go any higher that 2 feet off the bottom. You should use a tip up because you dont have to be staring at a rod until one bites, also you can mayby jig for one at the same time and still eastily tell when u have one. I attach bells to my flag to increase my chances even more.

-If you are not willing to just sit there and watch tip ups you can hook a fresh minnow through the middle of it and jig very lightly. Then the minnow looks wounded and this will probly get more bites. It is also a little more entertaining.

- Last week the burbot were spawning and they would hit almost anything shiny and a reasonable size. I find they preffer gold. The gold bell I posted earlyer is a good choice. The burbot spawn is done now but you could still hook a few this way.

-I have heard but never tried a glowing jig with a natural looking jig tail on it can work too.

Offline burbhunter667

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2011, 08:13 PM »
kk thanks xxicefishxx are u going to be going out this up coming sat by any chance. ?

Offline xXICEFISHXx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2011, 08:47 PM »
I would but sylvan closes tomorow. :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.