The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake morey derby  (Read 2722 times)

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lake morey derby
« on: Mar 07, 2011, 04:09 PM »
 How did out go?i heard there was an unusual catch.  Anybody know anything about the fish that was caught?
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake morey derby
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2011, 05:33 PM »
What was the fish that was unusual?

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2011, 06:11 PM »
A certain type of panfish
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline fishysmell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2011, 06:42 AM »
I was there with my son and as we were weighing in a perch he had caught 2 boys and their father walked in with what (at first glance) I thought were a couple rock bass but they might have been black crappie. I have only caught a couple crappie and didnt really look like anything i had seen. If someone could post pics of a black and a white crappie i could tell you if it was or not.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2011, 08:45 AM »
here's a black

and a white
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline fishysmell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Definatly looked more like the black crappie they were 8 to 10 inches. must have been a black because rock bass have red eyes correct?

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2011, 08:54 AM »
correct, any idea where on the lake or how they caught it, and how many did they get?
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline mikefishon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2011, 09:03 AM »
looked like illegal stocking!!!again!!!! the perch don't need any more competition after the bluegill intro, those suckers spawn every full moon during the summer! sounds like you might know something by the vageness of your posts rboot

Offline fishysmell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2011, 09:12 AM »
I was fishing out 400 or 500yds out in front of the beach house and watched them drive down from the north end. I only saw 3 in the kids bucket so i dont know what the total was or if other people were catching them. I see your in barre i'm just up the road in Calais. I would love to learn a little more about fishing for crappies if your ever looking for a fishing partner.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2011, 09:29 AM »
looked like illegal stocking!!!again!!!! the perch don't need any more competition after the bluegill intro, those suckers spawn every full moon during the summer! sounds like you might know something by the vageness of your posts rboot
careful of what you're accusing me of, I love these fish and I love this lake, I drive all over the state to catch them.  Lake Morey is an amazing fishery and I have no idea how they got there, I've had people tell me people put them in years and years ago, before i was born.  I find it offensive and attacking that you would insinuate something of that manner.  I got a call from the Game Warden in that area to tell me what they got because he knows I'm obsessed with the fish.  Vague?  People that fish for crappie and tight on their info because once the word is out places get pounded.  The perch are fine too, if you know anything about the perch in Morey there are thriving and so are the gills.  Morey can support more species than are in there.  It used to have walleye before the die off, and it now also has big bows, maybe you should watch what you say and how you go about things please.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline mikefishon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2011, 10:41 AM »
sorry about that it just makes me mad that people have to screw with crap they have no idea about the consequences of. as far as perch thriving i don't know how old you are but even a decade ago was ten fold to what it is now. iv'e fished morey for over 40 years and it's been in a decline the o.it was nothing to go out and catch a 5lb bow or brown and pike over 15lbs never caught or saw a walleye caught in my life i live here. i even remember smelting on morey. the gills have impacted the perch in my opinion and now crappie **censored**. again i opologize iwas going to pm this to you but figured it should get posted

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Thanks, as for the perch, there are few places in the state that hold the numbers and quality fish that morey does.  I would be more worried about the rapping of weeds and habitat that is going on there for the past few summer, that is whats hurting things.  I don't the crappie are going to hurt any other species in that lake.  There are plenty of fresh water shrimp for all of them.  I'm excited about the news. I've always said if morey had them then I wouldn't have to fish anywhere else.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2011, 01:31 PM »
I was fishing out 400 or 500yds out in front of the beach house and watched them drive down from the north end. I only saw 3 in the kids bucket so i dont know what the total was or if other people were catching them. I see your in barre i'm just up the road in Calais. I would love to learn a little more about fishing for crappies if your ever looking for a fishing partner.
be happy to help, i'd love to see a picture of those fish, does anyone know if they exist?
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline fishysmell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2011, 12:11 PM »
I'm not sure if there are picturs of the fish but I did see them in the bucket.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Ads they were marked like that first fish I posted?
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline fishysmell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2011, 07:57 AM »
looked like that fish maybe a little darker in color

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2011, 12:13 PM »
Drove around Morey today. Looks like an inch or two of water on the ice. Walking should be good. Saw one fisherman on the ice. Also saw two bald eagles on the northern end of the lake, sitting on the ice, eating a fish. Didn't fish, just a drive by on the way home from Farmway.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2011, 12:52 PM »
thanks for the report, i'll be there in the am
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline fishysmell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2011, 01:21 PM »
thanks for the report, i'll be there in the am
Same here i'll be in a hub portable shanty stop in if your close

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2011, 01:23 PM »
sure, i'll be in a blue ice armor suit and i'm sure i
'll be drilling holes everywhere
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline anglerross

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2011, 07:21 PM »
I was the one fishing today with the eagles! I tried both north bays with limited success,Bobby I have yet to find" Bubba". Let me know if you do!!

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2011, 07:40 PM »
Will do dave, have you got on the gills there yet?
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline anglerross

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2011, 06:44 AM »
NO, very slow,thinking about giving up on shallow waters and going for deeper water.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2011, 06:10 PM »
We got into them good in the bay by the white boat house almost to the north end.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.