Author Topic: Smelt What am I doing wrong?????  (Read 1617 times)

Offline 2FishinBuddies

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smelt What am I doing wrong?????
« on: Mar 07, 2011, 06:42 AM »
Went to Lewey Lake this weekend with my 14 yr old son. Fish a total of 20 hrs and landed 30 smelt. Seemed to have them under us according to my flasher  but very few hooked.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Smelt What am I doing wrong?????
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Not familiar with the lake so not sure where you are fishing but I could help you out on the way I have fished them in the lakes I fish.  What are you using for bait is where I would start, then lure, rod, light, time frame (day/night/both).

Although I have caught them during the day while perch fishing they are predominately caught after dark with a light suspended under water.  Perch/Crappie rigs are a good start tipped with wax worms or wigglers, Hali jigs are a very productive jig for me on smelt as well as a few others and some i use glow.  Ultra light rods are a must, i use Super Ultra light 30" Glass rods.  The bite is light, a lot of them with the tip rising.  Expect to miss a fair number of hits but when the fish are there and the bite is on the action is fairly constant for a couple hours after dark then slowing down for the rest of the night.  Last week we fished from 7pm til midnight with most of our fish coming before 10.  Vary you hook depth as the bite slows, I start out just off bottom and work my way up, a few I caught last week I watched bite the hook in the hole right under the ice.  I saw the fish swimming around the hole, raised a hook and had fish take it within 20sec.

Hope this helps, let me know where you are fishing curious how things are done in different areas.  PM me if you need more specifics.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:58 AM »
Went to Lewey Lake this weekend with my 14 yr old son. Fish a total of 20 hrs and landed 30 smelt. Seemed to have them under us according to my flasher  but very few hooked.

Are you refering to lewey lake in the Adirondacks?  If so I may be able to help.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Go at night and bring the underwater light. Use small jigs with spikes. When I was smelting we had a light we put under the water and was a non stop bite all night and into the morning....good luck.

p.s. this is #500 post....level no life or is that at 5000 posts? lol

Offline 2FishinBuddies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2011, 01:18 PM »
I am refering to Lewey lake in the adirondacks. Amy help much appreciated

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Tried jigging, small bobbers, or even use a balancing rod holder?

Sometimes jigging out produces a deadstick bait.  Sometimes the deadstick out produces.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2011, 06:30 AM »
Hali jigs tipped with spikes or mousies work best for me. I fished in 40 fow for them. Had a vexilar and it showed they were swimming in the 20-30 foot range.  I found the silver hali-jig worked best on them in that lake.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2011, 09:06 AM »
I fish them in Michigan with a Hali rig, so looks like it is a proven producer across a couple of the ice fishing states and also works well for Perch for us.  We also target 30-40 fow and start out 1 to 2 cranks off the bottom and adjust as the night goes.  Last time out my buddy and I iced just under 200 in about 4hrs a great time.  Good luck.

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2011, 08:38 PM »
Yup, Halis w/ drop chain and try a small piece of red yarn w/ your spike or mousie. Their little teeth will catch on the yarn, alot of times the smelt will taste your bait and you wont know it, the bite is subtle.  Good luck, hope this helps.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2011, 03:15 PM »
That's a good idea with the yarn, nothing ticks me off more than getting a fish half way up and it coming loose.  I will try that next time out to see if it will increase the catch rate.

Offline CUDA!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2011, 03:28 PM »
  Second time I have heard about the yarn will have to try it. I also use #20 or #22 trebble hooks with a spike. Increased hook up rate, but tough to bait that little thing.

Offline Threefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2011, 08:51 PM »
I use ultra light rods 3#test low memory line with a schooly spring bobber. You can put a halis and a couple glow tear drops. Or a couple silver swedish pimples and a glow tear drop. They work better with the spring bobber. Tie them about 8" a part i wouldn't use any more it creates a mess. Add spikes for bait red or white. I put down underwater lights about 10 to 14 ft. Turn the lights on about a half an hour before dark. When it gets dark you should start seeing them show up if you have a fish finder. If not start at the bottom one reel up.  Count the turns on your reel and reel up about every 30 sec. until you start getting bites reel up fish drop back down reel back same amount of turns. when bite stops start over at the bottom. That will help you get started .You can try different things and fine tune it to your liking. Most of the time i only use one rod i lose to many messing with two. good luck.
I have two fishing buddy's that know all my secrets. But they wont tell all they do is wag there tails.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:05 PM »
I'm a little surprised at how small a treble hook size is used.  I've always used a #12 or #14 treble.  For single hooks it's #8, 10, or 12. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline 2FishinBuddies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2011, 05:58 AM »
It seemed like we did get drive by hits but missed alot of them. Any one notice a big diffrence going at night with a light.

Offline CUDA!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2011, 07:58 AM »
It seemed like we did get drive by hits but missed alot of them. Any one notice a big diffrence going at night with a light.
   I only go at night. Lights are a must.

Offline CUDA!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2011, 08:03 AM »
I'm a little surprised at how small a treble hook size is used.  I've always used a #12 or #14 treble.  For single hooks it's #8, 10, or 12. 
     Our smelt here, at least on Gull lk in central michigan are only 4 or 5 inches. I am guessing yours are larger.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2011, 01:38 PM »
Although I have caught Smelt during the day while Perch fishing I target them after dark with the light about 12ft down.
Hookup rates I would guess at 30%, I use size 10 and 12 single hooks and Hali's.

Cuda have you ever fished Crystal Lake?  The fish are nice, I would say average 6+.  I have never been very sucessful in posting pics but have some good ones from the last trip if someone could help me out.

Offline CUDA!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2011, 02:04 PM »
Although I have caught Smelt during the day while Perch fishing I target them after dark with the light about 12ft down.
Hookup rates I would guess at 30%, I use size 10 and 12 single hooks and Hali's.

Cuda have you ever fished Crystal Lake?  The fish are nice, I would say average 6+.  I have never been very sucessful in posting pics but have some good ones from the last trip if someone could help me out.
   Yes fished crystal this year. Smelt are alot bigger there, trying to figure out pic thing myself.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2011, 04:17 PM »
I grew up in the area and go back every year for at least 1 smelt fishing trip.  I have a blast catching up with family, friends, and the smelt.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.