Author Topic: Whitefish/laker report and recipe  (Read 527 times)

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
Whitefish/laker report and recipe
« on: Mar 06, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Hi All,

Went out for some more whitefish action, got some nice trout too.

When the whitefish bite is on it cant be beat for fun IMO, especially when all the fish are between 22"and 25". A couple of times we thought we had trout on when in fact it was a whitefish, when they want to fight they are no slouches!

Fish were all from 38'FOW, live bait was not popular with the feeeeshes yesterday, with white tube jigs from 4" to 1" taking all the fish, occasionally these were tipped with a minnow chunk for some FLAVA.

It was a morning bite with a real quiet spell of about an hour when the smelt all but dissappeared from screen. The fish were still there but not one would bite, apart from 2 'bumps' from what appeared to be Lakers higher up the water column. Then....like magic the switch was flicked back to 'ON' and for the last hour from 12-1pm we got a few more whitefish and a trout.

THE VIDEO OF OUR MORNING

DOUBLE HEADER TROUT! (released to breed and fight again :thumbsup_anim:)

ANOTHER NICE LAKER

I thought i'd put together a recipe video of my whitefish stew that we had last night....fresh fish...anyway you do it is good but I kinda came by it by accident a year ago when i decided i wanted to eat fish other than fried.

I had recently returned from France at the time and had had the opportunity to have some excellent fish soup while there. I thought i'd try to recreate the soup with a 'clam' twist as I make spaghetti vongole (clam sauce) often and always have the ingredients for it at home.  I also added some shrimp to the mix cuz there were some in the freezer and my wife loves them.

Basically throw it all into the tomato soup and cook......really good served with fresh garlic bread.

VIDEO MY WHITEFISH STEW/SOUP TYPE THINGAMABOB RECIPE

"SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline Canadian wigeon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 5 more minutes and will call it a day
Re: Whitefish/laker report and recipe
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2011, 03:53 PM »
those are some beautiful lakers, congrats on a great day on the ice!! @)
Big Gaff Pro-staff

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Whitefish/laker report and recipe
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Wow nice double header, especially fishing that close together. Had the potential to be a tangled mess but you guys pulled it off.  I already have a couple of fish based recipes on my to do list this year(panfish chowder and the other is a pike jambalaya) but I think I will give this one a shot as well.
@jzuliniak

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.