New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Oneida N. Shore Heads UP!  (Read 689 times)

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Oneida N. Shore Heads UP!
« on: Mar 03, 2011, 01:31 PM »
Fished this morning 7:30-12:30.  Pressure cracks & ridges growing like crazy!  When I got out near Willard, a new crack had just opened 3-5" wide barely skim ice covering the water, it also is on the south side & extends out to 30FOW.  It was level this morning, by noon 3-5" difference in height.  Also about 26-27 FOW on the crack there's one peice shaped like a triangle, just floating about 120 square foot. I stepped on it, (didn't notice it) It moved.
I crossed it several times on foot, it's ok now, but after the draining that'll happen this wkend I doubt you'll be able to get anywhere near it.

The big problem is along the Shoreline. Pressure ridges grew from nowhere to 3-4' tall in a couple hours.  In the middle of Bernhards from the RV park point (with the white cross on the end)  to each side.  The ice is SHOT around the ridge. It was still heaving when I left, constant noise, every couple minutes you could hear a peice breaking off and falling in the water.  That ridge extends from that point east to the next point, with some visable open water, it extends west to the sled trail by the camps that face SE.  Driving by the Park, It appeared the ridge continued to & past there, (although some areas looked ok from the road, I didn't stop)  This same ridge comes & goes all the way to Manhattan moon, Constania didn't appear to have any at the launch point.  Just pay attention, it's shallow, only 1-4 FOW under it where I saw it, but enough to stick a machine.

The first pic look at the sled marks & footprint in the snow, it's facing out, that's mine from 7:30, no ridge, no crack, nada. 12:30 3-4' tall water running on the ice, I broke through with 1 leg getting off.  Sorry bout pic quality.

Offline Mr. Jitterbugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Oneida N. Shore Heads UP!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2011, 01:43 PM »
thats intimidating :o

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2011, 02:19 PM »
no need to worry yet.  just have to find a place to cross it near willard thats safe.  next weekend it will start to get tricky.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:10 PM »
I agree, no worries yet. Tomm I'm bringing the axe to smash part of the ridge and some 2x12's to bridge it.  Where I access it's only a foot deep, just rather not get wet.  The one by Willard is no big deal now, just gonna have to watch how quickly it errodes with draining.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2011, 04:13 PM »

bcons , thank you for such a informative report !!!   thats what this sight is all about right there good man  :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow:

Offline jiggin jeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "drillin holes & jiggin poles"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Thanks you for the info bcons

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.