The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New Lake Champlain record?  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Bruscus

• IceShanty Rookie
New Lake Champlain record?
« on: Feb 26, 2011, 05:13 PM »
Hey, it's Bruce at Holiday Harbor in North Hero.  I just weighed in a laker on my LCI certified scales caught this morning on the Inland Sea with a weight of 16.8lbs - length is 35 1/4" and the girth is 20 3/4".  To my recollection, the last largest Champlain laker was caught in the 2010 LCI by Dana LaDuke was 16.77lbs.  This new fish was caught by Nicholas Palmer fishing with Dad and the Wendell brothers.  I know this is just a puppy for some of you guys in the NEK (take a look in Willey's Store!) but it sure makes us sit up and take notice here in the Islands.  If someone can tell me how to upload a photo here, I'll post a couple.

Northern pike are beginning to come in again after about 3 weeks of slow going with the snow/slush and the pressure on the ice.  Today, I saw at least 6 fish over 10lbs and everybody was catching something here in the Alburgh Passage.  I heard by phone of several good pike caught in Gander Bay today too.  Lets hope this is the beginning of a great late season run.  The bait is fresh and eager and the bait/tackle shop opens at 5:00 a.m. every day until the ice is unsafe.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New Lake Champlain record?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2011, 05:33 PM »
heyy Bruce! You might remember me from walleye season... anyways, make a photobucket account and just copy and paste the img code onto your post and the picture should show up. Good luck and lets see this pigg

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2011, 07:31 PM »
heyy Bruce! You might remember me from walleye season... anyways, make a photobucket account and just copy and paste the img code onto your post and the picture should show up. Good luck and lets see this pigg

x2 thats a giant

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Wow great laker Bruce. I hear from some of my buds that the sunny bite is really picking up in your bay. For any of you sunnie, gill and crappie fishermen....Holiday Harbor is the ticket. For some strange reason I can't pull myself off the perch to go after flat fish yet. It has been great and I am fishing real close to home. I will see you at the 14 and under free kids fishing derby on the 6th. Frank
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline fishon_66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2011, 06:00 AM »
After the derby last year my buddie captain Obie White landed a 19+ pounder , I bet you'll see a 20 pounder sometime this year!   :tipup:

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2011, 06:54 AM »
After the derby last year my buddie captain Obie White landed a 19+ pounder , I bet you'll see a 20 pounder sometime this year!   :tipup:

No doubt, and I bet a 13-14+ salmon.

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2011, 07:14 AM »
so is the 16.8 a new record or is the 19 an old record? was the 19 an estimate or an actual weight? i'm not accusing anybody of anything but i have seen some AWFUL estimates on the lake. most people tell me that my scales are junk and that the bass they just caught IS 8 pounds ;D

Offline perchhunter8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2011, 07:42 AM »
The Champlain lake trout record was caught last year by a guy from Connecticut. He was on a charter with Obie White (Cloud Nine). The fish weighed 18.96 on certified scales, 33 3/4 in long and 23 1/2 in girth.

Offline razzledazzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish H8 me
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:03 AM »
The Champlain lake trout record was caught last year by a guy from Connecticut. He was on a charter with Obie White (Cloud Nine). The fish weighed 18.96 on certified scales, 33 3/4 in long and 23 1/2 in girth.

That's correct.
Here's a short write up with pictures: http://lakechamplainfishing.blogspot.com/2010/08/and-yet-another-lake-trout-bench-mark.html
Fish H8 me ™
www.fishH8me.com

Gerry

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2011, 09:42 AM »
Hey, it's Bruce at Holiday Harbor in North Hero.  I just weighed in a laker on my LCI certified scales caught this morning on the Inland Sea with a weight of 16.8lbs - length is 35 1/4" and the girth is 20 3/4".  To my recollection, the last largest Champlain laker was caught in the 2010 LCI by Dana LaDuke was 16.77lbs.  This new fish was caught by Nicholas Palmer fishing with Dad and the Wendell brothers.  I know this is just a puppy for some of you guys in the NEK (take a look in Willey's Store!) but it sure makes us sit up and take notice here in the Islands.  If someone can tell me how to upload a photo here, I'll post a couple.

Northern pike are beginning to come in again after about 3 weeks of slow going with the snow/slush and the pressure on the ice.  Today, I saw at least 6 fish over 10lbs and everybody was catching something here in the Alburgh Passage.  I heard by phone of several good pike caught in Gander Bay today too.  Lets hope this is the beginning of a great late season run.  The bait is fresh and eager and the bait/tackle shop opens at 5:00 a.m. every day until the ice is unsafe.
  Bruce I hope your right about the pike hopeb to see you soon,Dan ,Worcester

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2011, 01:51 PM »
That's correct.
Here's a short write up with pictures: http://lakechamplainfishing.blogspot.com/2010/08/and-yet-another-lake-trout-bench-mark.html

Thats a hog, I bet someone breaks that this year

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2011, 03:12 PM »
How's about it having  a chance for making a record for largest laker on Lake Champlain through the ice? Dunno.... but it is still pretty sweet! and in the Inland Sea that's another cool part of the story!!

Offline Bruscus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2011, 05:09 AM »

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2011, 01:12 PM »

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2011, 01:20 PM »
I wanna see this pig  ;D

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Bruscus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2011, 03:48 PM »
The photo is posted on site today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.