The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Wow...bit off with 30lb 7-strand stainless  (Read 4357 times)

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wow...bit off with 30lb 7-strand stainless
« Reply #60 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:57 PM »
We had it happen to us 5 traps one line all spooled and broke off. Then we hooked a huge otter! Just a thought.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #61 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:57 AM »
So should I be using something different for a leader?  I've been chasing the big one all season, sucks to lose it like that.  Don't want it to happen again.   :tipup:

Just delivered from Cortland!  Come on over, we can make up a few leaders for ya... Bring some barrle swivels, I'm all out!  ;D

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline formerly known asflapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Mar 02, 2011, 10:10 AM »
I have had pike break me off too many times in that bay... last year I had one 20-25lbs break me off at the boat. was the tie able stainless leader 30lb clean cut. I could see a pike cutting that because its not really like steel leaders, never know in that bay. lol

now that i think about it i have caught bluefish and tuna on the same leader... it may be the pressure of the pike being so close when you set the hook...puts a lot of load on the hook/leader.
Try 2 feet of heavy mono or fluoro between your terminal line and wire, it gives you an amount of stretch, sort of a shock absorbtion that you don't have or get from a rod.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.