New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ice flys  (Read 2407 times)

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
ice flys
« on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:53 AM »
the list of flys i use for ice fishing,with common names for non tyers
hare's ear---mayfly nymph,
pheasant tail--caddis,or mayfly
squirrel hair--stonefly
woolly worm--leeches,stonefly,damsel nymph,
the lake i fish makes a difference as to the fly i use.i use them on a dropper,deep on the flats
in mid winter,this is the time when a lot of perch have their nose in the mud looking for food
hope this helps
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
rat
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice flys
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Late ice too  ;)
I'm looking forward to comparing a few of the plastics with flies in a couple weeks.  I just went through my ice fly box a couple days ago.  I also take some of the slightly damaged ones from river fishing and salvage them for perch & pans.  Through the ice in weedy bays, the pans are much less finicky than trout in an ultra clear river or stream. Once I have a slight flaw in a fly, striaght to the ice box it goes.

Offline beerfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • beer is proof that god loves us
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:40 AM »
a buddy of mine was using them in Canadice and did ok on the smelts he said he had a huge bite but it got off or something typical fishing story but its gotta be worth a try especially for the trouts @) ;D ::) @)
when we fear the government its tyranny when the government fears the people its freedom

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2011, 11:12 AM »
Try tying them backwards...the perch and bluegills seem to like them that way ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2011, 12:34 PM »
Try tying them backwards...the perch and bluegills seem to like them that way

Those look great RG !  How about taken another step and tying them backwards, but also upside down.  This way the hook point would face up if you rig them drop shot style above your weight or another jig. Just a thought....

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline bigsunny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2011, 02:15 PM »
Nice ice flys-I have liked them on ontario at times.  nice work.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2011, 02:38 PM »

Those look great RG !  How about taken another step and tying them backwards, but also upside down.  This way the hook point would face up if you rig them drop shot style above your weight or another jig. Just a thought....
tie them to youre line with a polomar knot to turn youre point up would do that wouldnt it?

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2011, 03:01 PM »
Love the backwards flies RG ... sweeeeeeet!

Offline FISH2163

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2011, 04:59 PM »
Backwards is a good idea!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2011, 05:22 PM »
Upside down and backwards eh Gumpy?

That was a fun tie. I'll have to work on that some more.

How about an "Un-Pheasant Tail"

Tied with Blue and Gold and Scarlet Macaw tail, gifted to me by a good friend. Thanks Dom!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2011, 06:49 PM »
Upside down and backwards eh Gumpy?

Now that's what i'm talking about !  Nice tie !

That was a fun tie. I'll have to work on that some more.

Maybe keep the nymphs head on the eye end of the fly?

tie them to youre line with a polomar knot to turn youre point up would do that wouldnt it?

Yes it would do that, but the fly would be upside down.  As you can see with RG's new pattern the nymph faces rightside up with the hook point also up.

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline beerfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • beer is proof that god loves us
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2011, 06:57 PM »
very good idea will have to try it ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
when we fear the government its tyranny when the government fears the people its freedom

Offline FISH2163

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Try tying them backwards...the perch and bluegills seem to like them that way ;D
RG

How are you attaching them to the main line? Are you using a dropper or doing a direct connect?

Offline toes-r-froze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2011, 07:15 PM »
dude those are awsome!!!!
Here is a little story.
The second time i went ice fishing this yr i went with my uncle.He has ice fished for about 35 yrs.My polds were basicly walleye poles and he let me use one of his rigs he had that he was catching perch on.He said he wanted to swith rods and let me use that one.It had a jig on the bottom and a red fly above it about 9 inches.He has a vexilar and he could see the fish come up to his jig than pass and come over to me.I was hammering them on just the fly with no bait on it.I had a full bucket of slobs.On his "lucky" pole and rig.HAHAHA.He was disturbed i was out fishing him but in the same emotion excited i was enjoying something he has been bugging me to do for yrs.I am hooked.LOL.
I like your flies RG.The ones we had were just plain and red.
Are you interested in selling some or know of a good place to get some good ice flies.I gotta get some gear for my (and my sons) new found hobbie.LOL.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:00 PM »
RG

You set the bar where the rest of us would some day like to be . . .

STILL TRYING TO GET THERE . . .

- Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2011, 02:41 AM »
So...just upside down eh Gumpy? We can do that too. First, I'm going fishing.

Sorry Toes, I don't sell my flies. You can go to any fly fishing shop, Gander or BPS and pick up some flies. Not upside down and backwards flies ::)..but they have a good selection to choose from.

I use a dropper loop knot 6 - 18" above a jig to attach a fly or second jig. I like tungsten on the bottom most times and usually tip a fly with just 1 spike. I keep the loop around 1" long or so.

If you're going to try tying any of these (or buying some) be sure to crimp the barb down or you
re likely to be wearing one in your thumb. Bluegills and perch will inhale them and you need to be a little more gentle removing them if you want them to stay together. Forceps will tear them up.

I'll share one other tip. When you're fishing with flies and detect a bite, drop the rod tip before setting the hook. Don't be in a big hurry. It seems that if a big gill or perch, especially the larger fish, detect any line pressure on the fly, they'll spit it out. If you bow a bit to the fish, they'll be yours every time. I learned this sight fishing.

Thanks to the Riverat for starting this conversation. One of my favorite things...fly fishing.

RG

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2011, 06:59 AM »

Tied with Blue and Gold and Scarlet Macaw tail, gifted to me by a good friend. Thanks Dom!

RG

Bob, I just happen to have a great source for feathers from all sorts of hookbills.
Pete Lewis

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2011, 08:49 AM »
rg
i like the way you tied that,i never thought of that ,but i am going to go your way
going to put one of each on and see what happens
thanks
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
rat
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Rat,
 It's kinda like golfing left handed. (if you're right handed)  But' it's good practice if nothing else ;D

RG

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2011, 12:36 PM »
Nice looking P-Tail RG!
One of the all time best patterns! I tie it as an emerger for down the catskills, mostly for olives, sulphers, and other mayflies that "develop" as they come to the surface or while on the surface.
Tie a standard PT from the tail up about half way. Then transition into the color of the emerging fly, ie- olive, tan...
Then add a mini loop wing. I like maribou or cdc for the loop. Then sometimes I add a wrap of hackle for legs and to give it a buggy look.
I love fishing em on the swing! The take is a thrill!
As always... presentation is more important than imitation.  ;D

Im not sold yet on the "reverse" tie for the ice flys? It may be for catching fisherman not fish...  :whistle:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2011, 12:57 PM »
You're just stubborn ;D
Besides, I don't fish trout much and bluegills just aren't that fussy.
RG

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Besides, I don't fish trout much and bluegills just aren't that fussy.
RG

So what your saying is... it dosnt matter how they are tied, but the reverse style looks cool?  ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Honestly, through the ice, backwards seems to attract the larger gills a bit more consistently. This comes from sight fishing.
Open water, it doesn't really make much difference to gills and bass.
RG 

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Just stirrin the pot buddy, stuff will stick if ya dont...  ;D

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Just stirrin the pot buddy, stuff will stick if ya dont...  ;D

DC

Great saying - gonna have to remember it !

- Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2011, 02:36 AM »
Don't encourage him Reel. He's bad enough already :P

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.