The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Sebago 31.5#  (Read 5161 times)

Offline 10-4

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crazy about Hard Water
Sebago 31.5#
« on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:01 AM »
$100,000. to break the state record for togue that"s Great. This will get things fired up. What are the Chances?

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Re: Sebago 31.5#
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:07 AM »
If you get one that big it will be by 10-55, basically your chances are 10-7. ;D ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:10 AM »
don't forget the 10-99 that he will receive at the end of the year ;)
It's all fun and games until that shows up in the mail....

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:13 AM »
there are no fish in there

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:25 AM »
Someone will catch one that will be just a hair under the record.......cause it's missing one eye. ;)

Offline St.Croix

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:10 PM »
Someone will catch one that will be just a hair under the record.......cause it's missing one eye. ;)
from a fight with a pike :o
><(((o>  ..............><(((o>   .................. ><(((o>

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2011, 04:01 PM »
from a fight with a pike :o

That's "Winky", had it's eye yanked out a couple of years ago, looked like a ping pong ball. ;D ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2011, 04:05 PM »
Or someone will get a record-breaking laker, only it will be a female loaded with roe, and in the prcoess of bringing it to the weigh-in table she will spew enough roe to drop the weight to 1oz. under the record. ;D
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Or someone will get a record-breaking laker, only it will be a female loaded with roe, and in the prcoess of bringing it to the weigh-in table she will spew enough roe to drop the weight to 1oz. under the record. ;D

That's why experienced fisherman always have a golf tee in their tackle.

Offline Fish Sticks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2011, 04:14 PM »
Fore!!!

Offline Fishalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2011, 04:44 PM »
That's "Winky", had it's eye yanked out a couple of years ago, looked like a ping pong ball. ;D ;D
Ouch!!! :o
Let the little one\\\\\\\'s grow

Offline Fishalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Let the little one\\\\\\\'s grow

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:13 PM »
Do any of the Sebago regulars have an idea if its even possible? Any guess how big of a Sebago togue may be out there?

Offline mtaeagles15

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Do any of the Sebago regulars have an idea if its even possible? Any guess how big of a Sebago togue may be out there?

The lakes 300 feet deep and absolutely huge, I'm sure there could be some real monsters hidden in there.
Wide open throttle and Coors in a bottle.

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:26 PM »
does anyone fish out there in 300 fow?

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:28 PM »

I don't fish there very often if at all but I can imagine there are some big fish in there, I would like to see one of those come out this year, thats for sure.

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:40 PM »
I've been looking at pictures of thirty pounders and realized that I am not set up for it! 8" holes aren't going to cut it, seems almost impossible to land it alone.

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:03 PM »
Sebago is a big enough, deep enough and has such a variety of food sources that I would be suprised if there wasn't a state record in there.  But if there is a state record inhabiting Sebago, I imagine there is a better chance it will die of old age then someone actually catching it.

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:08 PM »
Sebago is a big enough, deep enough and has such a variety of food sources that I would be suprised if there wasn't a state record in there.  But if there is a state record inhabiting Sebago, I imagine there is a better chance it will die of old age then someone actually catching it.

X2. There deffiently in there but big togue didn't get big by being stupid. My guess is there is several records in there.

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:17 PM »

So you are so saying there's a chance !  ;D

People must have dived down there and had a chance to see some stuff, maybe mark some waypoints.

The size of 50lb monsters blows the mind.

Offline Slammah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This one has got some shoulders on it!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:29 PM »
I sure hope the state record fish is swimming around in Sebago, but sometimes I question the possibility. The derby winning fish several years ago was one of the original stocked fish from the '70s and weighed in around 18lbs. I understand that each fish is genetically unique and could feed at different rates but lake trout are long lived and extremely slow growing fish. I recently read the state management report that talked about how the majority of lake trout may never grow longer than 24" (a 24" laker could be as young as 5 years or as old as 15). They seemed to think that some fish within the population feed more heavily than others and therefore reach larger sizes. The problem here is that these highly aggressive fish are much more likely to be caught when they are young, making the trophies even more scarce in any body of water. Personally, I think that if the record is in there somewhere, it is a stocky and if not must be from one of the first naturally produced generations in order to have the time required to reach such an immense size. If the record fish is in Sebago, I sure hope a shanty member gets it!

Tight lines and good luck in the derby to all!

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:43 PM »
You hit the nail on the head slammah. The biggest of the winning fish the last feew years were all from the original stocking I'm pretty sure.  I'm sure there's probably one or two that got that big, but not as many as you would think.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:47 PM »
With all this praise the salmon kill the togue nonsense. The big togue in Sebago will greatly disappear in the next few years.

Offline WhiteSquall

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:50 PM »
What is the state record pike is caught during the derby?   Just sayin.....It might be in there the way things about going  :-\

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Its what makes Sebago &  Moosehead unique
Big lakes with deep water
good food source, enough 10-15lbers caught and recorded
and the passion and imagination of fisherman who believe  :angel

:icefish:

:flex:

Offline mtaeagles15

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:18 PM »
The derby winning fish several years ago was one of the original stocked fish from the '70s and weighed in around 18lbs. 

I didn't realize touge aren't native to Sebago. I always thought that it was a natural fishery.
Wide open throttle and Coors in a bottle.

Offline kezarking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:21 PM »
With all this praise the salmon kill the togue nonsense. The big togue in Sebago will greatly disappear in the next few years.

i dont think this will ever happen, dont even think the pike will make this happen but who knows? it doesnt freeze over some years.  i saw a 22 pounder taken a few years ago that was stocked in 1981 from what the biologist said.

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:25 PM »

i dont think this will ever happen, dont even think the pike will make this happen but who knows? it doesnt freeze over some years.  i saw a 22 pounder taken a few years ago that was stocked in 1981 from what the biologist said.

I'm just saying. I mean the way people are catching them this year and the number of big ones being caught. I mean I fish the crap out of that lake but i throw them all back unless there my PB or it's during the derby. But I do believe there is a pig in there somewhere thats a state record.

Offline Scrub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:37 PM »
Some real enthusiasm and imagination on these posts- a bunch of real fishermen. Constant negativity and naysaying will motivate you to drink. Well, come to think of it, there are worse things... :-\ ;D ;D

Offline gradysjeep

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:34 PM »

x2 salmon fishing is never going to be what it used to be with togue well established as well as pike now. >:(  Nothing wrong with managing it for trophy lake trout now.  I love to catch salmon but I would rather catch a 10-20 lb togue then a 5-7 lb salmon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.