Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: very slow today  (Read 1510 times)

Offline crappie29

• IceShanty Rookie
very slow today
« on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:02 PM »
fished 4 ponds today and only got 2 fish all day anyone having any luck around waterloo area? have the next 2 days to get out and fish

Offline Eisfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: very slow today
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:23 PM »
I think it was slow every where. Hit a couple of my hot spots and got blanked at both!  :'(

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Was a bit tough today but wife and I managed limits of perch...

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2011, 06:28 PM »
Not that one slow day proves anything, but it supports my own skepticism about warm fronts in the winter heating up the fishing.

I've never really found that a couple of warm days does anything to reverse slow fishing. It is February, and oxygen levels in many waters are very low after being covered with ice for more than two months, and snow for most of that. This warm spell will get run-off going in to many ponds and lakes, plus melting the snow off and getting light in to the water to get plants growing again. That will help fishing, and is part of the reason late ice is a good time to fish.

Still, I'll take ice-fishing in sub-zero weather in December over fishing a warm spell in February any time. Cold weather or no, those first-ice fish are the easiest to catch.

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2011, 07:36 PM »
I took my nieces and nephews out on our family pond today. Ended up cleaning 47 gills, and probably threw 20 back. It was off and on, but we did well. About 30 miles south of Waterloo.

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2011, 08:58 PM »

Fished from 7 this morning until 11.  Ended up with 45, these were the largest.  Maybe just where we fishing.  Caught pretty much everything we marked.  Hope this will continue until the ice is done.

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:19 PM »
I hit a private pond today and we did catch some dinks but only 1 keeper crappie. Had many lookers but not many takers. Slowest day by far on this pond so far this season.

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:02 PM »
Fished Dike all day today and one of my Waterloo/CF honey holes all day yesterday. Drilled roughly 50 holes - did a lot of hole hopping. I caught 4 keeper gills at the honey hole and 3 at Dike. Pretty Slowwwwwwwwww.........
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline eskimo2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:17 PM »
was on private  waters all weekend and had a blast first time this ice season i got into bunch of nice large mouths crazy fun to catch.. also some nice gills yesterday late afternoon one i took home is gonna make it on the wall....pushing 13" very nice color. made my day

Offline crappiiguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:50 PM »
13" what??  Gill..  I wanna see a pic.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2011, 11:58 PM »
He's yanking your chain, that would be a state record. I won't believe it until I see a picture with you holding the fish and a sign that says ice shanty  ::)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2011, 09:21 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing that pic myself Eskimo.  
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.