The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: wrights fishing derby  (Read 6847 times)

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
wrights fishing derby
« on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:39 PM »
folks be sure to sing up for the big tournament from the 24th thru the 27th at 2 pm. 11 lakes to fish 4 wheeler drawing a sno machine drawing and  20 thousand dollars in prizes 25$ registration fee 5 dollar lunker pool fee dinner 15 bucks a ticket and couples 25 bucks and folks the food is amazing but buy ur dinner tickets quick there's only  450 dinner tickets first come first serve  winner of the lunker pool wins a 1000 bucks cash heaviest single fish weighed  in the category's 300 bucks for the heaviest in the category and 2nd 150 bucks and 3rd is 50bucks for more info call wrights sport shop and talk with Ron wright or Dave smith or Cecil olden @1802-334-6115
aka halfrack23 willoughby lake

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: wrights fishing derby
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:48 PM »
store hrs are 6-5 i belive dont hold me to that tho
aka halfrack23 willoughby lake

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:35 PM »
I just got my flyer in the mail the other day.  Checks in the mail!

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Same weekend as the benson derby.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2011, 04:06 PM »
Well, I hope everyone, who fishes Lake Carmi, will go by the regs, of one Walleye, caught over 19", per day. Last year I questioned, a individual, at the dinner, at Wrights Ice Fishing Tournament, about, the picture that he had two Walleyes, that were over 19 inches, with the board in the back ground on the date he took them.  He went back, and must of told his mom, , who is Ron Wrights s :(ister.  She started bawling me out, that her kid was a good kid, etc, etc.  Why is Lake Carmi, in this NEK Tournament?

Offline Weedmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Makes you wonder. Last year the winning lunker was seen by Ron and weighed on Sat. but wasn't going to be reported until last thing Sun. I understand the stategy lunker versus cat. but it kind of had a bad smell about it.

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Your telling me it had a bad smell.

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2011, 03:57 PM »
They put Carmi in the tournment so they could have a walleye category and entries instead of a walleye category with no entries.

Well, I hope everyone, who fishes Lake Carmi, will go by the regs, of one Walleye, caught over 19", per day. Last year I questioned, a individual, at the dinner, at Wrights Ice Fishing Tournament, about, the picture that he had two Walleyes, that were over 19 inches, with the board in the back ground on the date he took them.  He went back, and must of told his mom, , who is Ron Wrights s :(ister.  She started bawling me out, that her kid was a good kid, etc, etc.  Why is Lake Carmi, in this NEK Tournament?

Offline smithsfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 20 pounds 2 ounces
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2011, 04:54 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Makes you wonder. Last year the winning lunker was seen by Ron and weighed on Sat. but wasn't going to be reported until last thing Sun. I understand the stategy lunker versus cat. but it kind of had a bad smell about it.

I  caught a 19.8 pound pike, i was going to put it in the lunker pool, but i heard roomers about thar guys trout. he waited untill the last SECOND before he wayed it in!!

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:00 PM »
How big were the two fish again?

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2011, 06:26 PM »
there was a few things about that situation which had a bad smell to it.... the dinner too.....

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2011, 06:36 PM »

I might or might not know the person who was in the lead for the lunker on saturday. When we were going over to the dinner we stopped at a gas station for a few supplies and the lady working the counter told me there was a 20lb laker that was going to be checked in on sunday..... the gas station was 20 minutes outside of town....

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2011, 06:40 PM »
I was driving that car with the guy who was in 1st at the time. I thought the rules said the fish had to be fresh. I won't fish that derby again. To much stink.

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Fished the NEK last year and thought the story of that fish coming in sunday night was awfully suspicious.  I mean if I caught a fish I would want it weighed sooner rather than later to get the maximum weight on the scale.  This years derby winner has probably already come through the ice if it is anything like last year.

Offline smithsfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 20 pounds 2 ounces
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2011, 08:24 PM »
I agree, i caught the first place pike up there last year, and the whole thing of waiting to the last second is BS, but what can u do? i mean i prob wont be fishing it agian this year!!

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:32 AM »
I caught a Pike a few years back, that was in second place, and then another guy brought in a Pike, that was the same weight, but just a little bit longer.  Problem was, he got to weigh it in, after the day weigh in hours closed.  I got third place. :o

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Ty Creaser of St. Johnsbury won the $1,000.00 Lunker Pool with his 20.46lb, 41 1/2" Lake Trout.  "He stated in the local Newspaper, that I have the cut-out of the story. "It was a waiting game."  "If I knew there was a bigger fish on the board, I wouldn't have entered it."

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2011, 12:25 PM »
I hope the guys that run this derby will see this thread and make some changes.  It's absolutely ridiculous the way they run this thing.  If you enter your fish in the lunker pool and it doesn't win you aren't eligible for their species category.  If you catch a fish it should have to be weighed within a certain amount of time.  Obviously people will bend the rules but at least there would be rules in place.  Right now it's a friggin' mess. 

Mr. Wright, clean up your derby!!!!!  Right now it is clearly a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Grasspikerel

There are two Lakes, in the NEK, that are in this tournament, that have Walleye in them.  If you can't catch a Walleye in this tournament, without Lake Carmi? 

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2011, 01:20 PM »
With Carmi, it makes three for fishing for Walleye, in the Wrights tournament.  Sorry thing is, its a long haul, to fish, during this tournament, for most of the individuals, in the tournament.  Also, there is a slot limit, each day, of one Walleye, that can be kept over 19" long.  That is why I questioned this individual, last year, at the dinner, during this tournament, as I saw a picture of him, with two Walleyes, and the board in the background, that stated he caught them at Lake Carmi, on the same day! :o 

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2011, 03:36 PM »
With Carmi, it makes three for fishing for Walleye, in the Wrights tournament.  Sorry thing is, its a long haul, to fish, during this tournament, for most of the individuals, in the tournament.  Also, there is a slot limit, each day, of one Walleye, that can be kept over 19" long.  That is why I questioned this individual, last year, at the dinner, during this tournament, as I saw a picture of him, with two Walleyes, and the board in the background, that stated he caught them at Lake Carmi, on the same day! :o 

Ive had lots of "encounters" with this specific person we are talking about. I know him very well in all the wrong ways. It would suprise me one bit if these fish came from lake champlain.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:27 PM »
Last year, in the Wrights ice fishing tournament, the Walleye Category, was won, by Jon Cheney, with a 5.5 pound Walleye.

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:28 PM »
There's not enough walleye in IP, Salem and Magog to give ice fisherman a fair chance at entries.  It was either 1 fish or 0 fish in the years preceding the inclusion of Carmi.  

Grasspikerel

There are two Lakes, in the NEK, that are in this tournament, that have Walleye in them.  If you can't catch a Walleye in this tournament, without Lake Carmi? 

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:35 PM »
So, you say Island Pond has Walleye in it?  Uh, as it doesn't state that in the Vermont Fish and Game law and guide book?

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Well, correct me, for saying there is no Walleye in Island Pond Lake, there is, but I have never heard of anyone, bring in Walleye, into the Wrights Tournament, but then again, who really tells the truth of where they catch there fish.

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:59 PM »
Ty Creaser of St. Johnsbury won the $1,000.00 Lunker Pool with his 20.46lb, 41 1/2" Lake Trout.  "He stated in the local Newspaper, that I have the cut-out of the story. "It was a waiting game."  "If I knew there was a bigger fish on the board, I wouldn't have entered it."

Well now it will be a waiting game for everyone.  Sundays final weight will have a line out the door....

Offline Magog Landshark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Somethings not stirring the kool aid here for me.  What is the logic/benefit behind having to choose wether you want to go lunker pool or species category? Or missing out on money with a good fish if you gamble on lunker pool and lose?  The heaviest fish overall could take the lunker pool and then bump fourth in that category to third.

Something tells me this comes back to the main motivators for all human behavior, money, sex, or power.  I'm not hearing of alot of dudes getting lucky in the wrights tourney so must be one of the other two. 
Farewell and adieu, to you fair spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've just received orders, for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore, shall we see you again.
-Quint

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:27 PM »
This Individual could of put this laker in the Laker Category, but wouldn't make the $1,000.00.  He could of either put it into the Laker Category, or the Lunker pool.  Not both.  You had to pay, a extra $5.00, before the Tournament to be eligible for the Lunker pool.  If he had, put this fish in the Laker Category,  he would of only got, $300.00, plus, if he reported it in on Thursday or Friday, during the tournament, he also could of won another $75.00, for his Fish Category, on those two days.  2nd Place Winners in each Category of fish, would win a 25.00 gift certificate to Wrights Enterprises, during Thursday and Friday.  So, a large difference ;D in payout, for this fish.  Hope this helps.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:29 PM »
So, you say Island Pond has Walleye in it?  Uh, as it doesn't state that in the Vermont Fish and Game law and guide book?

This fish is from IP from this summer and its not the only one we got.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:39 PM »
The Laker Category was won, with a 14.28 lb, by Ty Croteau.  Not sure if he caught the fish on Thursday or Friday, as the paper, didn't say that.  He would get $300.00, for first place, plus more, if he weighed it in on Thursday or Friday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.