New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: your most flags in one day  (Read 1308 times)

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
your most flags in one day
« on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:06 PM »
went out saturday morning Feb 5th. had 14 flags in the first 50 min. ran out of bait and only was able to set up 4 tipups. after the first hour i was able to finally sit down and jig. had 18 flags total in the first 2 hrs, using only 4 traps. best day so far.

Offline mayfield

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: your most flags in one day
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:12 PM »
had a day like that last year went home at 11 went thew 4 doz bait me and 2 other.  couple big pickeral and a bucket of 10 to 14 inch perch  fun day
race my mower all summer  and race to a flag in the winter

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:13 PM »
what were you geting
just for the fun of it, let them go haddeck taste better

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:48 PM »
best day this year was somewhere between 30 and 40 flags between me and an uncle. Was when there was 5" of ice and no snow. Havnt had a day like that in a while. It started out good jigging but when the flags started popping there was no extra time to jigg

Offline vicegripkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:22 PM »
never really counted flags but we've had to run out for bait before lunch a couple times :tipup:

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:53 PM »
one day on this year on a private lake  2 of us were getting so many flags we decided to wait until all 5 each went up before hauling in.. well we got up to 4 (8) at once and gave in , which did not take long.. It was all about feeding pickerel. Fun day :)

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:56 PM »
I think one day last year in a few hours I had 30 or so flags, all pike and bass, plus some on the rods, def a fun day...havent had a very productive this year, also not fishing as much, but it'd be nice to have one of those again before the season ended
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline KenDOdoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:14 PM »
Years ago we had so many flags there was barely any time to jig.  I started this sport tip up fishing w/o really knowing what I was doing with a jig.  That morning was the first outing of the season and the plan was to spend some time jigging, but the tip ups were on fire and we burned through our bait.  We got off that reservoir by noon and hit another just to jig. In the afternoon we banged them on the jig. By far the best day I've ever had on the ice. 100+ fish, and all yellows.
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemien business that, when gone about properly put you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:26 PM »
me and YO1157 ran out of bait one morning, and started with 5 dozen. best day ever!! it took an hour for both of us to get 5 tip-ups in each. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline BadgerFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2011, 04:56 AM »
One day back in Wisconsin over 20 years ago, a buddy and I went out walleye fishing on a lake we had done pretty good at before. Only can use 3 lines back there and we had so many flags that we stopped counting.  Most of what we caught were small, but it still is one of the most fun days on the ice that I can remember. Went off the lake with our limit of 10 walleyes (all 13-17 inches) in about 2 hours and had at least 40 + flags.  Tried that spot several times afterwards and never came close to that day.
GO Badgers !!

Offline pgachef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2011, 05:11 AM »
Two years ago I had my 5 tipups set up right before dark.One flag went up then the other in 5 minutes they were all up!One bullhead tripped all the flags what a mess in was .They were about fourty feet apart.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2011, 06:37 AM »
Only once did I ever have a day where 3 of us caught so many pickerel that I lost track after 100.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2011, 06:53 AM »
Last March I had my two daughters with me 15 tip ups set in the dark. When it got day light we had 5 flags and on the way to check 2 more went up. 7 pike and the action didn't stop we landed 15 all between 7 and 13 pounds not sure how many flags we had all together. What a day to have my 13 and 15 year old girls with me. Another guy and his son came out and fished with us and did well also landing 9.

Offline beaver1080

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2011, 06:58 AM »
when i was a kid i remember days on champlain with 15 tip ups in and 6-7 would be up, lots and lots of flags all day. have had a couple days this yr with 40 flags in 5 hours

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2011, 09:42 AM »
Myself and two friends once iced a combo of 50ish pike and LM in a day. Mostly small hammer handles but it sure was fun. Had to make a bait run at 11. barely had a chance to sit down all day.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline benny4117

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Fishing
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:50 AM »
sounds like good times..... what the heck am i doing wrong ???

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Last march my 2 buddies and I iced 107 fish in 2 days and had at least half as many more flags with drops or stolen bait, I love March madness!
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline mayfield

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2011, 03:02 PM »
yea seams like just before the ice is gone they hit the best or last day of the season
race my mower all summer  and race to a flag in the winter

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2011, 03:42 PM »
2 years ago highland lake ny tourney on valentines day...me and topher ran out of bait (around 5 or 6 dozen)  by 1:30-ish...and ran down so many flags we both had swollen knees the next day....he got 2nd in the crappie...i got 2nd in the pick div. it was  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: all day long....... :) 

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2011, 03:53 PM »
Last March I had my two daughters with me 15 tip ups set in the dark. When it got day light we had 5 flags and on the way to check 2 more went up. 7 pike and the action didn't stop we landed 15 all between 7 and 13 pounds not sure how many flags we had all together. What a day to have my 13 and 15 year old girls with me. Another guy and his son came out and fished with us and did well also landing 9.

Those are some pretty solid fish, what body of water was this? I would like to have a decent day before the season ends. havent been out much this year due to work. Thanks pm me if you'd prefer
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2011, 04:17 PM »
best all pike day 26 :tipup: landed 16 pike from 19-34". some days fishing for pikerel we have lost count.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2011, 06:14 PM »
sounds like everyone has a great story. gotta love it when you don't have time to sit down and jig. of course i was by myself last weekend and needed an extra hand. i was getting bass from a local pond. unfortunately half of the flags were dropped, but it was still lots of fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.