Author Topic: Need Help...  (Read 490 times)

Offline icefishingNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Preparation + Opportunity = Luck
Need Help...
« on: Feb 10, 2011, 12:53 PM »

…understanding something. I’m not trying to stir the pot with this question either. I own the Showdown Troller & have a Vexilar on the way so I’m not taking side like many people seem to be doing. I’m just trying to understand the argument some are making about it.

I’ve asked this question with no one answering it so far so maybe I’ll try it on here. I keep hearing the same thing over & over about Showdowns not being “real time”. Can someone please explain this “real time” to me? I own a Showdown & can watch my jig drop on the display in what I feel or think is “real time” because if I stop my line, the jig stops. If my jig is totally still in the water, as I twitch my rod the jig moves in the same “real time” that I’m twitching my rod.

It’s not like some 60 or 70’s kung fu movie where I twitch my rod & then three seconds later on my display my jig moves ::) So can someone please explain what some of these flasher owners mean by “real time”. As I said in the beginning, I've got a Vexilar on the way so maybe I'll be enlighten to this "real time" thing I don't have with my Showdown now :-\

I'm Old Enough To Know Better...But Young Enough Not To Care.

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need Help...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:43 PM »
I have a Lowrance x85 (lcd) and fish next to a guy with a vex fl18 and when I would move my jig, it showed it moved at the same time with both units. No delay in either. I think this "real time" was some saleperson's ploy to get you to spend a few hundred more on the highest priced locator they sell. Why? More profit equals more sales percentage commision for them. Plus if there was such a noticable difference I would have thought somebody would have replied to you before I did, which is about 5 hours later.

Out of curiosity though, how come switching from the showdown to vex? Reason I ask is because I was thinking of maybe buying a showdown and make it my ice unit and be able to keep the lowrance mounted in the boat permanently.

Matt

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:14 PM »
its a myth perpetuated by those with axes to grind...

seems this myth is perpetuated mostly by flasher owners arguing that flashers are better than LCDs.

"SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline icefishingNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Preparation + Opportunity = Luck
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2011, 07:59 AM »
I understand that most people using that argument probably have never seen or used one & are thinking along the lines it’s a boat fish finder which it is not.

As for me ordering up the Velilar, it has nothing to do with me thinking it’s better than the Showdown or that the Showdown doesn’t work. I've used both & feel both serve my needs well. My first two fish finders were the Showdown 5.6 Duel & the Troller both bought for x-mas. I love them both & so did my 5 year old son (6 in April) who had no trouble understanding how to read it. In fact, I was putting gear away the other day while he fished in the Yukon & he kept yelling out, "Daddy there's fish on the fish finder". I'd yell back well catch them & he did!

I’ve heard talk from friends & others about flasher unit so I decided I would buy one but the wife would not allow my having three fish finding units, so one had to go :( I picked the 5.6 to be the one to sell because I like the idea of the Troller being hand held.

I had a few different thoughts about getting the flasher. 1...is so I can put the "Chevy/Ford" arguments or opinions to rest for myself. I’ve used my friend Marcum flasher a few times & liked it so I know how to use on. 2...even though I can see the bottom & weed line on the Showdown, I've been told you can see the weed line a lot better with a flasher unit. Me fishing for crappie in smaller weedy bottoms pond & lakes, this might work better for me :-\ 3...my son can be entertained in the Yukon with the Vexilar colored lights while I'm out trolling holes with the Showdown unit ;D
I'm Old Enough To Know Better...But Young Enough Not To Care.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.