Author Topic: Garmin nuvi & lakemaster cards  (Read 8066 times)

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
Garmin nuvi & lakemaster cards
« on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:00 AM »
Just curious if anyone is running a lake master card with one of the garmin nuvi units. Any feed back is greatly appreciated 

Thanks in advance, Tom

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Garmin nuvi & lakemaster cards
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:11 AM »
u talking about a regular gps like in your car a ca nput a lake chip in it

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:30 AM »
Yes

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:49 AM »
i looked it up never knew that i wana buy  it do u have it does it work well its alot cheaper than a hand held unit

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:53 AM »
exactly. Not to mention a way bigger screen. Down fall would be shorter battery life and not waterproof. The nuvi 500 is waterproof but more cash. If I do go this route I would probably hook up a cigarette lighter plug into my genz box for my vexilar.

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:49 AM »
i have a lighter port on my wheeler and i will puy one on my sled if need be maybee make a lil box to protect it if u buy it let me know how it works man

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2011, 09:27 AM »
I'd be interested to hear how well this works.  I have a Nuvi and a desire to have GPS with me out on the ice.  Wish we could run Navionics as that is what I run on my HB, but they are Competitors.

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2011, 01:03 PM »
Garmin uses a different format for their units than lakemaster does, so I seriously doubt it will work. Try Blue charts or possibly IBYCUS which are both compatible with Garmin units. I'm going to try to load IBYCUS on my Nuvi. I'll report back when I get a chance.
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Actually your dead wrong, It does work. Check the garmin web site for capability as well as lakemaster site and see for yourself.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:07 PM »

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:20 PM »
I stand corrected  :tipup:
Thanks for that info. Very interesting.
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:39 PM »
No problem. I should be playing with a garmin nuvi 255w and lakemaster michigan card this weekend. I will post my finding's here after the weekend.

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:06 PM »
No problem. I should be playing with a garmin nuvi 255w and lakemaster michigan card this weekend. I will post my finding's here after the weekend.

Please do. I actually just posted yesterday wondering if I could get dual use out of a car unit. Would be great if I can.

Offline truckhuntfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You'll have that
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2011, 12:28 AM »
i checked garmins site and you can use it on the water. you can get it downloaded to your computer , a SD card or a cd rom , looks like something i would try but the $140 pricetag and no info kinda worries me
-Truckin , Huntin , and Fishin , That's how I roll

Ha Haa Haaa  Did that hurt right away ???

Offline Zugunruhe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2011, 04:50 PM »
I've been running one for a little over a year now in my Nuvi and it does everything it should.  Battery life in cold weather can be an issue so I try to keep it warm and use it only when drilling holes and finding the spot, then shut it off and tuck it away.  I've figured out everything on it that you could do with a normal handheld GPS- waypoints, track paths, enter coordinates etc.  For $100 it made much more sense then spending an additional $200+ for another GPS plus the LM chip.  I use it trolling in the summer too.

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:27 AM »
u can still use it for road maps if u take the chip or no

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Yes, Here's the directions from garmins website

When purchasing Topo, Marine, US TrailMaps or Rails-to-Trails mapping for your nuvi, zumo or StreetPilot, please be aware that this mapping may function with limited compatibility when viewing the map on the device.

Topo mapping will provide access to very basic information such as terrain contours, elevation information, trails, and rivers1. Inland Lakes and LakeMaster will provide access to basic shoreline and depth detail and limited points of interest. US TrailMaps and Rails-to-Trails mapping will provide access to the basic trail outline and/or limited Points of Interest.

There are certain elements of these mapping products that were designed for use on dedicated Outdoor and Marine GPS products that will not be displayed on a nuvi, zumo or StreetPilot device. If you would like to use these mapping products and experience the highest level of detail and functionality, it is recommended that they be used on a dedicated Outdoor or Marine GPS product.

In addition, when viewing this mapping on your device, please ensure that you have disabled your City Navigator mapping and changed your Map View from the default 3D view to either Track Up or North Up:

1. From the main menu touch Tools
   2. Touch Settings (Not required for all devices)
   3. Touch Map
   4. Touch Info/Map Info
   5. Remove the check from City Navigator to disable the street mapping  (remember to check this box to restore street mapping when using the device in a vehicle)
   6. Touch Back
   7. Change your Map View either North Up or Track Up
   8. Press and hold Back to return to the main menu

Your nuvi, zumo or StreetPilot is now ready for use with Topo, Marine, US TrailMaps or Rails-to-Trails mapping. Please remember that many automotive devices are not waterproof and should be treated carefully when being used near water.

1 The nuvi 500 and 550 will not experience many of these limitations.

Last modified on:  11/09/2010

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2011, 05:39 PM »
great thanks i cant wait to get it and try it out

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2011, 05:55 PM »
Your welcome

I have been playing with a garmin 255w/lakemaster chip since friday. I must say I am pretty impressed. It does not hold a candle to my garmin 182 and bluewater card on my boat but then again that was about $850 at the time purchased. All the lakes I checked out were pretty accurate using the 255w/lakemaster combo. I do believe there is ( more) detail on the card that the unit does not let you see. Such as ramps, vegetation ect. But it does a more than adequate job of showing the contour lines and roads around the lakes. For a matter a fact the lakemaster card is probably more detailed even for driving on all the roads where I used it in the country than the street mode on the unit itself. With the exception of voice prompt turns ect. It was easy to turn off the lake card and switch to the preloaded street program that comes in the unit. So far I am impressed what can be done for $200

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:07 PM »
sounds good if it shows the shore line and were u are on the lake would at least help a guy get it in bad weather when u cant see were your goin that makes it worth it right there does it show all depths like shoals rock piles ect..

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:16 PM »
Yes.
I think on the nuvi 500  would label more of the structure on the map. But, Yes it shows all the contour lines and some of the more popular lakes the public accesses as well. After you zoom into 300ft it appears to shows more detail. I have the unit set on "most'' . It obviously shows you moving on the lake and allows you to save points that show up on the map :)

I will be giving it another try on another lake tomorrow so stay tuned for more updates.

Offline truckhuntfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You'll have that
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:53 AM »
popular lakes is right , i looked into it and found only 1 of the lakes i fish regularly on there but that one is still 1 hr away
-Truckin , Huntin , and Fishin , That's how I roll

Ha Haa Haaa  Did that hurt right away ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.