New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Flasher verses finder  (Read 4988 times)

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Flasher verses finder
« on: Feb 10, 2011, 01:35 AM »
Alright people,.....I wanna hear everyone's educated opinions on first; who prefers a flasher over a graph. Second, what is the reason, Third what manufacturer is most prefered?
The reason why I ask is I've been using a simple hummingbird portable graph for the last couple years and have learned to "tune" it in fairly well in any conditions. Me, being a hard headed person, has learned to love graphs. Last Sunday, HT let me mess with his Vex. fl20 for a bit....and I now have a new found appreciation for that unit.(I sold a fl18 a couple weeks ago without ever using it).
Lets get the non heated talks started about this issue.
Gamma, you are not allowed to comment ;), as I already know your opinion and theory.

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Flasher verses finder
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2011, 02:33 AM »
Alright people,.....I wanna hear everyone's educated opinions on first; who prefers a flasher over a graph. Second, what is the reason, Third what manufacturer is most prefered?
The reason why I ask is I've been using a simple hummingbird portable graph for the last couple years and have learned to "tune" it in fairly well in any conditions. Me, being a hard headed person, has learned to love graphs. Last Sunday, HT let me mess with his Vex. fl20 for a bit....and I now have a new found appreciation for that unit.(I sold a fl18 a couple weeks ago without ever using it).
Lets get the non heated talks started about this issue.
Gamma, you are not allowed to comment ;), as I already know your opinion and theory.

Then why would you need anyone elses input ?  ::) ::) :P :P :whistle: :whistle:    The only other people you need to talk to is Freddy and/or Dark Cloud.  ;) ;) ;)
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2011, 02:45 AM »
It's simple FM....the flasher is "real time" display....LCD's are delayed response. Not much...but enough. I use my FL18 sometimes. Mostly I fish without if I know the water. I don't like in water under 10'....just me though :-\

Buy what YOU like after looking at a couple of brands.

How's the fly tying coming?

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:37 AM »
Besides the true real time...I honestly feel as though I can decipher weeds and the fish in them with my flasher better than I have seen on a graph.  Any electronic is only as good and"smart"as the person using it though...any flasher/graph offers noteable advantages but YOU still have to catch the fishys!!
Proud FL 20 user

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:07 AM »
 I have a Lowrance 67c  for ice fishing and they are real time no delay whats so ever ,and i own a vex fl18 deep it is now my back up , and i don't use the FLASHER mode ,just the SONAR , FM if you need to see in action will be glad to demonstrate ,i will bring both units and set them side by side and fish them both without interference unlike flashers who have trouble with each other ,also there was in the electronic section showing a 67c fishing in 5' clear as a bell , and it has a memory which comes in handy ,I'm not knocking flashers at all just would like people to get some of their facts straight , in shallow water for flat fish i don't use a finder either i have more fun that way 

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:45 AM »
The year is 2011 not 1980. The new fishfinder units do not have delay. They do not slow down because of temps. I've been fishing with hummingbirds for 30+ years and sure the old LCR units had something to desire no doubt but these new LCD's if tuned properly will do as much as any Vex or Marcum EXCEPT turn colors so dumb fisherman know a fish is near their lure. To be honest if you spend all your time watching the unit instead of your rod you will miss the fish anyways. I would put my Hummingbird and myself up against anyone with those other finders and can do just as well. If you don't believe it get ahold of me and we will fish together and I can show you  exactly what I am talking about. Plus I put that 500.00 to better uses than on one of these other units.

Offline fourskis4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:48 AM »
How does the graph work in sub-zero temps?  I seem to have trouble when it is really cold.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:01 AM »
How does the graph work in subzero temps?  I seem to have trouble when it is really cold.

I have never had any trouble but I'm old and in a flip over , snag fishes out side a lot and has never had any trouble ,coldest day i fished with it was between 15 and 20 below   hey cold _feet hows it going i haven't seen the new hummy sonar how do you like the colors scheme ,my 67 does change color as the fish nears the lure ,but by that time i'm watching the rod also  ;D

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:15 AM »
The year is 2011 not 1980. The new fishfinder units do not have delay. They do not slow down because of temps. I've been fishing with hummingbirds for 30+ years and sure the old LCR units had something to desire no doubt but these new LCD's if tuned properly will do as much as any Vex or Marcum EXCEPT turn colors so dumb fisherman know a fish is near their lure. To be honest if you spend all your time watching the unit instead of your rod you will miss the fish anyways. I would put my Hummingbird and myself up against anyone with those other finders and can do just as well. If you don't believe it get ahold of me and we will fish together and I can show you  exactly what I am talking about. Plus I put that 500.00 to better uses than on one of these other units.

Sooo Cold Feet, tell us how you really feel.... :o  I was right with you until the "dumb" fishermen statement. Seems this year being as negative as it has been around here, I wasn't expecting that from one of the Mod's. JMO  :(
I also think a LCD will work fine, but have to argue the delay a bit. Have also worked one next to a Vex and have watched the difference. LCD was a second or so behind even the FL8.
That said, I don't use either. Have to much to try to get out there as it is, to carry more stuff that may or may not help me catch more fish. Fished along side a guy with an 800.00 rig.
He caught one laker, I had nothing...Also caught one laker. So still on the fence... :-\

Offline loonman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:31 AM »
I put a Hummingbird 385 in my trolling boat this past season and after some research i bought the need supplies to use it in the winter also. I haven't noticed any delays or the cold affecting it and its nice to have the option of a sonar or a flasher. I will admit that it takes a little more patience and pratice to toon in than a flasher unit but it gives you an excuse to fish more. All tho the most benefit i have found by having a finder unit is the depth charts, i put a Navionics chip in my unit and when you are looking for a new spot it is very usefull. I looked at buying a flasher but when i compared the cost it was cheaper to have 1 unit i can use year round rather then having 2 that i only use for less than 5 months each.

Offline Windknots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:31 AM »
I like the flasher for its quick response.  You can get a lot of information from a 3 color flasher and they are affordable.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:16 AM »
hey oltimer i have both fl18 deep and a 67c ,the 67 is as fast as the vex ,there isn't any delay ,maybe there is something wrong with his unit ,or maybe it is an older model ,if not he should take it back because it's not right

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:21 AM »
Oletimer

Just saying that most guys wait till the colors change then forget to look at rods missing too many fish. Guys spend too much time staring at these units instead of working at their techniques. New guys to these units think the fish will jump on the hook all by themselves when the colors change. Electronics are not a tool that makes fish magical appear in your bucket. The fisherman must still do most the work. Some guys it just takes longer for that to sink in.  No disrespect meant here. Kind of what I am saying is this too Spending 500.00 bucks on one of these units for one purpose is ok I guess if you got it to spend But again I found this one I use for 200.00 fits the bill just right for me. No need for whirling motors and bright flashing lights I still get er done. Although the next unit I buy will have GPS this again is a plus for me.

What I found with my unit is this. Turn up the speed on the screen number 1 of anything you do. When I lift the rod and lure if their is any delay I turn it up more so it is true real time. Next you can either turn up or down the sensitivity of these units to actually go species specific. Such as Perch or bigger fish like Eyes. This allows you to eliminate fish seen as bigger prey fish from small baitfish. Also works good when fishing lakes where Smelt are a problem and cover the screen. Also my unit you can use a Zoom feature which will allow you to use it for any part of the water column. This will give you separation of lures if using two rods. I have fished with both Marcum and a Vex and sure they do work but I got the same thing in this unit I use and am very satisfied with it. And like many who use them mine goes in the boat when this winter is over and gets another 6 months use. Nothing against Vex Marcum or Hummingbird Use what you wish but guys who havent tried useing the other stuff like I got don't tell me or others that these units are slow or just simply not the same as the vex units. Sit next to someone who took the time to figure them out and not just go out and run it off Auto. And use the tools that are installed into this fishfinder to improve its performance. The Watts of these units are their so is the perfomance the signals are more than strong enough to see 1/100oz jigs in 50 ft water or deeper all the user needs to do is make the unit perform.

Again no direspect to anyone here. Just we see this thread year in and year out and its the same thing sounding more and more like commercials than it does learning something.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:38 AM »
well said cold feet ,never thought oltimer have your bud turn chart speed to 100% and the same with the ping speed that might cure the delay problem and turn off all auto crap and adjust the upper and lower limits, 

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:49 AM »
flasher. because.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2011, 09:01 AM »
I used an Eagle graph for a while and it work OK. On most of the graphs there's a Real Time Sonar bar on the right side, that can be used just like a vertical showdown type unit.

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2011, 10:08 AM »
One can have both modes in the Lowrance X67C Ice Machine - as someone said, adjust ping speed to max, scroll speed to max and there should be no delay.

Not my videos - but illustrating two different ways to catch fish using the same machine set-up - not bad for $300 complete - with free shipping from Reeds.  

flasher mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtMWZkM6TM4&feature=related

chart mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhMSJ9jImR0

It is your hard earned cash...spend it the way you want...but you still need to fool the fish into bighting.  

BTW - here is an emulator you can download and play around with the X67C on your computerhttp://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowrance/Emulators/X67C_demo.exe

Offline elkguide1107

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2011, 10:20 AM »
flasher. because.

Bingo.  I think its just wrong to use a graph for ice fishing.   I honestly pity people who buy graphs or the showdown type finders, and are then forced to act like its as good as a flasher bc they got bamboozeled into buying one.  Its like buying a $500 50" TV, realizing the picture sucks, and then sitting there for 10 years telling yourself the picture is as good as a $1500 TV.
A bad day fishin' beats a good day of anything else (except elk hunting!)

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2011, 10:34 AM »
Bingo.  I think its just wrong to use a graph for ice fishing.   I honestly pity people who buy graphs or the showdown type finders, and are then forced to act like its as good as a flasher bc they got bamboozeled into buying one.  Its like buying a $500 50" TV, realizing the picture sucks, and then sitting there for 10 years telling yourself the picture is as good as a $1500 TV.

Wow, some words of wisdom there :laugh:

adam2000

« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:08 AM »

Wow, some words of wisdom there :laugh:

i have a marcum lx3 and love it, but the x67 is a nice machine, and lowerance also has another one that has maps and tracks all your movement, i use the flasher  to judge fish reaction, if they want the big jig jerk or a small twitch, but i always go by feel

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Well Said Elkguide!!! Humminbird Ice 45 here.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Big fan of the X67, but any electronic is better than no electronics at all
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline michlw39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:31 AM »
I put a Hummingbird 385 in my trolling boat this past season and after some research i bought the need supplies to use it in the winter also. I haven't noticed any delays or the cold affecting it and its nice to have the option of a sonar or a flasher. I will admit that it takes a little more patience and pratice to toon in than a flasher unit but it gives you an excuse to fish more. All tho the most benefit i have found by having a finder unit is the depth charts, i put a Navionics chip in my unit and when you are looking for a new spot it is very usefull. I looked at buying a flasher but when i compared the cost it was cheaper to have 1 unit i can use year round rather then having 2 that i only use for less than 5 months each.

I have a 385ci as well. There is NO delay in the flasher mode. None. In fact the other day a very small split shot fell out of my hand and into the hold...the flasher tracked it flawlessly all the way to the bottom in 35 ft of water.

I too went the 385 route because I wanted one year-around unit and didn't want to have to buy special flashers just for ice fishing and then a graph for summer fishing.

In short, I think the "new" stuff out there like the 385 operate the LCD in real-time just like a flasher. Maybe that was an issue "before"... but they're putting out some impressive stuff today.

Offline icefishingNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Preparation + Opportunity = Luck
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Can someone please explain this "real time" thing I see flasher owners throwing around? I never owned a flasher or any other fish finder for ice fishing. This year I bought the Showdown 5.6 & the Troller unit without any kind of issues with it. I now have a Vexilar on the way & it was not because I disliked or thought it's better than the Showdown. I bought it shut the door on the "Ford vs. Chevy" arguments or opinions that everyone has with these to kinds of fish finders.

Now back to the "real time" I keep hearing. When I'm out fishing I see my jig on the display & I can see a fish being marked on the display. As it starts getting closer to my jig I don't keep watching the display wait for it to tell me when to set the hook. My eyes go to my rod tip & with in seconds, my rod tip is bouncing down from the bite. So how much more "real time" does anyone need :-\

I just don't get it ::) As I'm dropping my jig, it sure the hell falls in "real time"! If I'm holding my jig still & give it a little twitch, it sure as hell moves in "real time"! I means it not like watching a bad kung fu movie....I move my jig & 3 seconds later I see it move on my display :-\
I'm Old Enough To Know Better...But Young Enough Not To Care.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:51 AM »
Bingo.  I think its just wrong to use a graph for ice fishing.   I honestly pity people who buy graphs or the showdown type finders, and are then forced to act like its as good as a flasher bc they got bamboozeled into buying one. 

Pity people?  graphs or showdown types?  3 color flasher?  I gave up playing red light green light in elementary school gym class  :P.  Then again, I guess you can pity me & the buckets of fish I bring home  ::).  I used a vex for awhile, this Christmas the wife got me a Showdown Troller.  I was skeptical at best.  Since the 2nd trip with both, the vex hasn't left the shelf in the garage.   Showdown gives the same info just no pretty colors, I guess if I ever miss them I can plug in some christmas lights.
What was your learning curve with a 3color? Ever teach a kid to use one?  The showdown took 2 seconds no more explantion.  I fish in the shanty, and drill 5 tipup holes, when the bite slows, I rotate jigging the tipup holes, rarely ever bait them.  Do ya think the vex ever left the shanty?  Nahh you jig the other holes blind most of the time.  Troller around the neck, flasher everywhere I go.  
To each his own.

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:59 AM »
They all do there own thing. Everyone figures out how to use there equipment and they catch fish. Simple as that. Cant we all get along. I mean we all do enjoy the fine sport of fishing dont we?

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2011, 12:26 PM »
Bingo.  I think its just wrong to use a graph for ice fishing.   I honestly pity people who buy graphs or the showdown type finders, and are then forced to act like its as good as a flasher bc they got bamboozeled into buying one. 

Thats ok I'll fish with my cheapo graph LCD unit. When it goes bad I"ll go home. Oh Yeah when a Vex goes bad you can take the lens out and glue a pinwheel to motor and watch it go round and round and round. 1 adavantage to the Vex. :wacko:

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2011, 12:28 PM »
I have an x67c .... i started using it in flasher mode with a bunch of guys with vexes. We all caught fish.

I have read so much on here about using it in graph mode versus flasher and i tried it yesterday while laker fishing.....   it was a slow day without a lot of action but after missing a couple of fish in graph mode i kept going back to flasher mode ....  i will try again on a busier day

we were out a week or two ago and my buddy used his in graph mode.. he got 10 lakers and i got 9  .....  so it must be somewhat helpful  ;D  ...  although the 15 pounder came to me ... via the flasher  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2011, 12:31 PM »
that x67c sounds like a nice machine. I like that it has graph and flasher mode. What do those run brand new?

Offline fenwick2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2011, 12:37 PM »
I have the x67 and Have seen friends with marcum / vexlar . I would rather have my x67 anyday . The  flasher option  i DO use sometimes 4 shallow waters for crappie / gills. In the end ,  I like the sonar mode alot better than  looking at flashing lights. I think they are running around 279.00 online

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.