Author Topic: Electric Filleting Knife  (Read 7512 times)

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
Re: Electric Filleting Knife
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:00 AM »
i have both a rapala and a mister twister
twister seems to do a better job runs a little faster but both work fine for me

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2012, 10:55 AM »
Rapala's blades are too aggressive, cut through the skin and spine too much. Once you dull them a bit, they work really well. The knife gets way too hot in your hand if you are doing a large mess of fish.
MrTwisters are very good and just right speed but I really prefer a curved blade. Mr Twisters also will strip gears after a while if you use them heavily.

The curved blade American Angler at Wally world is my favorite. They made some really thin scalloped blades for those for a while that are wonderful.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2012, 05:24 PM »
been using the same mister twister all my life wore out a set of blades replaced them with the 9" blades the longer blades get through the biggest fish in 1 pass they are flexible enough to finnese the pannies its the toughest knife ive used did charter in lake erie for 2 friends filleted up to 24 walleyes at a time im telling you toughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h ive found the fillet board is as critical as the knife it needs to fit over sink an still allow you to get the angle on the fish for a perfect fillet also its critical that you dont get the stomach cavity juices on your fillets cause bacteria i move mine immediately to the other end of fillet board and throw fish in bucket rinse twice and soak in water till baggin then fresh icecold water and flash freeze   enjoy
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Seacat145

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NRA Life Mem- It's only cold if you peak outside!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:45 PM »
I have been using a Mister Twister for 20 years without a problem. Yes, you can buy a carving knife at Wally World but when I clean it is like a production line. A carving knife gets too hot to handle at that rate. As for cordless, those ion batteries don't hold their change well as they age.  Just my opinion.

Offline PondPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:38 AM »
another vote for the mister twister, have had it for 3 years and have never had a problem!
--If it was easy they would call it CATCHING not FISHING

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2012, 04:25 PM »
I own both the Mr. Twister electric and the Rapala cordless.  Both great knives (have filleted lots of fish over the years with these guys).

However, whenever we limit out, during the summer, on Bass (10 in our area), the cordless (two batteries), usually dies out during the last two fish.  If the Mr. Twister is handy, I finish up with this or do the last two old school :) 

I am thinking about picking up one of the new Lithium battery Rapala cordless knives and determining longevity.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Seeing I'm from Wisconsin. Gotta go with the green and gold. Mister Twister all the way! Oh, and the Pack too. Fin

Never thought of that. Now I'll have to paint mine blue and orange.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:45 AM »
I have an American Angler from Wal Mart. I have used it for about 10 years. My wife surprised me with a Rapala for my Birthdy. I hate it. The American Angler is twice as fast and about 1/4 the price.

WS

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #38 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:16 PM »
I just bought the rapala deluxe and it is awesome (total pain in the ass to get back intot he case) but it really has saved a lot of time cleaning

I have enjoyed my new rapala and cleaned about a dozen fish so far.  It is a real pain in the postier to  get it back in the box.
Thread killer

Offline thegeorgeone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:59 PM »
I am lucky if I get two years out of a Mr. Twister knife but they cut through the walleyes like a champ. I hate how the rapala knife cuts and could never get onto it. I just expect to buy a new Mr. Twister knife every other year, the original twister I had went through three sets of blades before it died. I did tear into the Twister knives to see if I could get one to fix another but the newer knives are a different design than the older ones, if I remember correctly the motor sits in the opposite direction. I always keep my old faithful fillet knife with a good edge along, I can't remember how many times we have been at the Missourri River in the summer and there was no power at the cleaning stations. Anyways just my 2 cents.
It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 15, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Another vote for American Angler.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:00 AM »
American angler knife died a few years ago. Got the Mister Twister as friends recommended it. It died too. Now have the cheap Black and Decker. Love it.  To the Mister Twister guys. The old ones seem to be the good ones. I don't know w if they changed the way they make them or not. But know of many old ones still out there cutting away. The new ones just don't last.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 21, 2013, 12:57 PM »
American angler knife died a few years ago. Got the Mister Twister as friends recommended it. It died too. Now have the cheap Black and Decker. Love it.  To the Mister Twister guys. The old ones seem to be the good ones. I don't know w if they changed the way they make them or not. But know of many old ones still out there cutting away. The new ones just don't last.

Might be the case. My Mr. Twister is over 25 years old.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.