Author Topic: Crappies through the ice?  (Read 1067 times)

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
Crappies through the ice?
« on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:27 PM »
I don't see a lot of reports of people finding crappies on the hardwater around northern NJ?  Are they not being targeted and therefore not reported, or are they just hard to find?

Any suggestions where to try for them?  My summer/fall spot has not been producing.
Waiting for the ice

Offline rowboater

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Crappies through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:39 AM »
I'm hardly an expert, and usually catch only one to six crappie an outing when icefishing.  They are earlier posts on here pointing out that you can target crappie by lightly jigging fatheads just above the weedbeds.  I usually icefish Hopatcong and had a great day years ago doing this in Henderson's Cove, but I'm sure it works over weed beds elsewhere.  Generally you catch more sunfish on small jigs with mealworms/mousies in the weeds but occasionally you get into a crappie school.  Some generalizations (most same as for open water): often bite well early and late, prefer slightly deeper water than sunnies and pickerel, and hang out at edges of weedbeds and other cover.  Will often trip tipups, but I've had better luck catching on small shiners on tipups (better than fatheads for some reason; shinier?)  Very often you'll catch several from the same hole (cover?)  They are great eating, good luck!

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:16 PM »
There are times that they will keep you hopping. My experience is that minnows are better, a minnow head or a very small minnow on a jig will take them. For the most part, gills and perch are more abundant and can be had most of the time. Targeting crappie is like lusting after the prom queen, you can dream, but miracles are far and few between. Low light, early and late and at night seem to work to your favor.

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • How Ya' Hittin' 'Em Fishing Club
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:32 PM »
We got on 'em on Swartswood this past sunday. 6 nice keepers one being a decent size slab. All but one was suspended up in the middle of the water column in about 20 feet of water.... Small jigs with wax worms was where it was at for us. Forget about your fall spot...they were probably there for the early ice, but have probably moved for the deeper water by now.                   Good luck out there.

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011, 03:25 PM »
Very early(pre-dawn) to an hour or so after sunrise and again at dusk until after full dark.  Usually I find them suspended.  If the water is 6' - 8' I try to find some weeds coming up off the bottom a bit and they'll be working above them.  In deep water 20' - 40' I'll often pick them up on my electronics cruising 10' below the ice.  In Swartswood I've found them in many areas of the lake both tight to weeds and out in the middle.  The good thing is they seem to be coming back there as well as many other lakes I fish.
"Izaak believed that fish could hear; if they can, then their vocabulary must be full of strange oaths, for all anglers are not patient men." --Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2011, 05:02 PM »
i usally get some on tip ups most trips hopatcong seems the best public lake for me seems 10-20 ft of water gets them their i go to a honey hole private spot flags all day from crappie and no pickeral in this lake

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:05 PM »
Caught 6 nice keepers in Woodport in Lk Hopatcog a couple weeks go on a swedish zit. After ice out try by Bradys bridge and even off shore by Lakes End Marina...there are times when they are in there thick...rufus jr jig under a bobber kills em.

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:20 PM »
thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming.  definitely some new ideas I want to try out.
Waiting for the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.