Author Topic: 2/7/11 Split Rock Road closed (update)  (Read 1909 times)

Offline knot2crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
2/7/11 Split Rock Road closed (update)
« on: Feb 07, 2011, 04:07 PM »
attempted to fish Split Rock Today but Rockaway Township had road closed baracades isolating the State Parking lot which is the only legal place to park and access the reservoir. The road has not been sanded or salted lately and is great if you want to ice skate. Since Rockaway Police are generous with their tickets and must feel the Reservoir area has alot of crime and needs to be patroled more than the town or the mall I chose not to find out what would happen if a went around their saw horse baracade and moved on !

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
Re: 2/7/11 Split Rock Road closed
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:07 PM »
where is the barricade?  where split rock road turns from paved to gravel?  if so, they have had those up intermittently this season.  last time i drove around them i found 4 other 4wd vehicles in the parking lot and we were all ice fishing, nobody was ticketed.  the next day the barricade was removed.  i think they probably just put those up so that people with regular 2wd cars whose GPS units direct them to take split rock road don't attempt it.  i'll take my truck up there tomorrow to check it out.
Waiting for the ice

Offline knot2crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:49 AM »
I made it thru the entire Split Rock Road and yes there was one truck in the lot. In the past I have been ticketed (Parking) when my vehicle was in no way, shape or form in anyones way (far off the road) so I will not give them any reason to ticket me. Their $ 52.00 ticket can really ruin a good day of fishing.

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:15 AM »
yeah, Rockaway township is big on ticketing cars parked on Split Rock Road, but once you are inside the state's parking lot, they can't touch you unless you go swimming, start a fire, or do something else that isn't allowed under WMA rules.
Waiting for the ice

Offline knot2crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:45 AM »
2/8/11  10:32 A.M.  I just spoke with "Rockaway Township Police" and asked about their baracades specifically on Split Rock Road and I was told you can travel at your own risk and no tickets for passing the baracades. Keep in mind the road was extremely icey yesterday and the parking lot is terrible!

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
Re: 2/7/11 Split Rock Road closed (update)
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:10 PM »
With the cold and wind, don't expect the road to improve.

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:38 PM »
thanks for the update, knot2
Waiting for the ice

Offline knot2crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:44 PM »
The Mayor of Rockaway must a a bug up his with the reservoir after-all he had the parking lot blocked this summer. As for the road condition, there is no excuse not to sand it just like the other township roads. They patrol it and write tickets like a township road, well then they should sand the damned thing like a township road !

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2011, 04:11 PM »
Guess the Rockaway Police have to find something to do instead of playing poker in illegal gambling halls ;)

Offline knot2crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Guess the Rockaway Police have to find something to do instead of playing poker in illegal gambling halls ;)
That was Roxbury Cops......

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2011, 04:17 PM »
That was Roxbury Cops......

Not just Roxbury...i knew at least a couple who were in there when it was busted.

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Now gentlemen lets all play nice now. You know the police have nothing better to do but bust chops. go chase crack heads not ice fishermen! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.