Author Topic: Buzz stick  (Read 3946 times)

Offline beeronice

• IceShanty Rookie
Buzz stick
« on: Jan 12, 2005, 01:53 PM »
Has anyone bought one of these battery operated buzz sticks? how do ya like it?

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
Re: Buzz stick
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2005, 02:20 PM »
A guy i work with bought one... he likes it.  I was looking at one yesterday but decided on the uglystick combo lite ice.  I would rather control the jigging myself but I can see if you have a problem like carpo tunnel, this unit might be the ticket for you.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2005, 02:28 PM »
My wife bought one for me on her own. After 1st battery died, would not work after replacing the new battery, also battery died quick. Took back for a trade in. The reel wasn't half bad. Would I have bought it ? No. 
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline drjongy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2005, 03:05 PM »
The Buzz Stick is nothing but a buzz killer...I had one last year for a weekend and brought it back.

In the store with a foot of line out it looks pretty cool, but turn that into 20-30 feet and you won't see any action on the lure.  We checked it out with the AquaView.

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2005, 03:17 PM »
My wife bought one for me

Really? . . . I bought one for the wife  :o  :-*  :o

PIKEGUY

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2005, 03:22 PM »
dirty dirty dirty  :o  :D

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2005, 04:31 PM »
drjongy is right, 10' or more and the vibration action is lost on the lure.  Like most of our fishing "stuff", geared towards the fisherman and not the fish.   ;D  I'd like to say, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands, but I'll gladly let a "friend" jig with the rod. 
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline Michiganmallard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2005, 07:44 PM »
I bought the original Buzz Stix last year.  The key to these is balance between your rod, line, and lure weight.  I use flourocarbon because mono absorbs some of the vibration.  The guys are right that the original Buzz Stix doesn't vibrate the lure well down much past 10-15 foot even when balanced properly.  So this year I bought the new Buzz Stix II which has a more powerful motor for fishing deeper water.  With my Aqua-Vu to verify, it works well down to 20 ft. for sure.  I haven't tested it deeper yet. 
I look at them like anti-lock brakes.  I sure would love to be able to make that motion naturally... but my wrists just aren't that talented I guess. 
If you take the time to balance your rod, line, and lure weights I believe you'll like the results. 

Member: Michigan Trappers Association, National Trappers Association, Michigan Duck Hunters Association, Wetlands Foundation of West Michigan,  Michigan United Conservation Clubs,  National Rifle Association, & Delta Waterfowl
Preserve our right to Hunt, Fish, & Trap.  BECOME A MEMBER.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2005, 07:48 PM »
I haven't experienced them myself but have read a couple good things about them on another board. A light jig doesn't keep the line tight enough, and the energy of the buzz is absorbed by the line. Best results are reported with a sinker under your jigs keeping the line tight. This prevents the line from absorbing the energy and it reaches the jig. Like I said, this is second hand info but those with the Buzz Stick might want to give it a try.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2005, 09:12 PM »
My wife also bought me one last year. My 6 yr old picked it out with her cause it was a gold reel and you HAVE to catch fish with a gold reel right!  Anyway it was half price on sale and not a bad little combo even without the buzzing. I fished in the shack with it 6-10 ft. where we can see the bottom and it sure did attract fish. Mostly little perch off the bottom, but a few days I caught a mess of gills and my buddy caught squat out of his hole. I kind of liked it, but like someone else said, I would'nt have bought it myself. I had mono on and switched to Spiderwire. I like it alot better.
If you jig it...... They will come.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2005, 09:18 PM »
Yes I bought one and tried it. I went back to my old jig rod,old habbits are hard to break.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline The Rocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Had To Reach Way Down Inside
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2005, 09:29 PM »
I myself was given one for Christmas for my uncle. I actually have experenced good luck with mine.
Using a Pocket Rocket in about 12' of water. Cought many Mackinaw with it. But this year will be the real test,
Crappies and Gills. It's kinda wait and see. :-\

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2005, 03:06 PM »
I recieved one for Christmas, still no fish caught on it yet. :'(
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2005, 09:02 PM »
As far as reliability goes, I've had way too many come back as returns to my store to buy one.  The reels on the $30 buzz's are terrible.  If you wanna spend the $50, the AutoBuzz is much better.  You do have to use some type of braided line if you want any action in deeper water.  Mono absorbs the "buzzing" too much.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.