Author Topic: Salmo Chubby Darter...does yours work like it is supposed to?  (Read 2471 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  Yes, I have caught fish with the Salmo Chubby Darter, but yesterday, I used it with the underwater camera.  If you see videos from Salmo, it is supposed to "shimmy" on the fall.  Looking at my #3 on the camera, it has not any more action than a jigging rap, actually probably less!  I am using a snap on 3.8lbs fly fishing tippit.  That is tied to a swivel and connect to the main line which is 4lbs. Berkley Fusion Micro Ice.  Your thoughts?

Jim

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Salmo Chubby Darter...does yours work like it is supposed to?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2011, 01:59 PM »
do you have any video of yours? I don't use number 3s very often but when I do I use a mustad snap hook and no split ring on chubby #3. Mine work fine and shimmy on the fall... I take the split rings off all my chubby darters. The only reason they put them on is so a person doesn't tie directly to the chubby. Number 4's i had been using a sz 1 duo lock but as of late i have been using the sz 0 fastach clip and I like them better than the duo locks.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2011, 06:19 PM »
They will replace it if its broke!!!!! everyone one i own gets bite off by muskies or pike sooner or later!!!!!They work!!!!
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:27 PM »
No video of mine, sorry.  This Friday when I go out I will try tying directly to the Darter and see if it works better.  If so, I will take off the o-ring like you did.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2011, 12:08 AM »
The #3's don't work so well, especially after it's gone down a few feet of water.  Not sure where's the threshold of how many feet is, but I generally see them working well in the ice hole, but sometimes they don't do any shimmy after you drop them down deeper. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2011, 03:19 AM »
Been fishing the #3 a lot recently and have had no issue.  Fishing anywhere from four to 28 f.o.w.  I've fished 5 colors in the same size, caught fish on all of them, and havent had any of the perceived problems, or problems as described in the op.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:11 AM »
I like using the 2# Fireline Crystal to keep the movement on the #3 lure.  I know that when I have like 6# mono on, the #3 lure doesn't shimmy so well.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Heavy line will dampen the action of any lure, If you're fishing more than 4lb with #3 it's probably the cause.

rickl1968

« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2011, 06:28 PM »
Ah Ha, I knew I had a picture of a fish with a chubby in its mouth.
Herring caught on a perch pattern chubby Darter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.