Author Topic: Where's the big fish?  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Bowhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
Where's the big fish?
« on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:51 PM »
First, let me say that this is my first year of ice fishing. So far, I'm loving it.

I've noticed a "trend" (on this and other ice fishing forums) with ice fishing results, this year and that is that there are a lot of guys catching smaller fish. It's like the bigger fish have gone into hiding. Also, when I've been fishing open water, I've never been shut out...I always catch something.

In the recent 2 or 3 weeks, I've had a heck of a time catching anything over 1 lb., in any species. There's been a few days of getting shut out and not catching anything.

After drilling a hole, I've tried fishing from the top down or dropping straight to the bottom and fishing from the bottom up. I've used small jigging spoons tipped with spikes or wax worms. Also, minnows with a small hook and a splitshot about a foot up from the bait and fished at all depths.

I've had my best luck in farm ponds, but when I've fished larger waters, the fish get smaller and are far and few between catches. I find all this a bit frustrating, as I regularly catch fish over 2 lbs., 3 lbs. and larger...during open water and with artificial lures only. (Also, I don't own a boat or any fishing electronics.)

Is this typical fish response for this time of the year's ice fishing?
Will the fishing improve as it gets closer to "last ice"?
Is ice fishing more complicated than open water fishing?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57
Anything worth shooting, is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap and life is expensive. - USMC

Offline sam419

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Where's the big fish?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2011, 11:17 PM »
 this winter has been very cold with only one real thaw, causing the lull in action, last ice will be much better imo, and I have had my fair share of days getting skunked but of course thats why its called fishing... Just keep moving and drilling more holes if your not getting anything after 10-15min, you wouldnt just keep casting your lure in the exact same spot in open water would ya? lol

tight lines
-Sam

Offline Hickory

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Ice fishing is way more involved than most people think.  There is a lot of strategy and sweat equity involved!  Open water you are covering a lot of water casting, not just an 8 inch hole.  Like the last fella said keep you chin up, keep drillin holes, and keep telling yourself we are having fun now!  Don't be afraid to stick to smaller waters.  I used to feel way more hopeful and less intimidated on small water.  You'll collect "goodies"  along the way that will make the big water more successful.  Keep it up though, you never learn by giving up.

Jerk their lips off!

Offline Bowhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Well, I took you guys' advice and kept after it. ;D My brother and I tried a lake with deeper water and used larger baits. Wax worms, instead of spikes...used on 1/16 oz. spoons and minnows on salmon egg hooks with a splitshot about 16" above the bait.

We were in approx. 14 fow and caught a 14" and a 16" rainbow, in about 8 to 10 fow. @)
Perhaps the "curse" is broken. :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Anything worth shooting, is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap and life is expensive. - USMC

Offline sam419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:24 PM »
good to see ya got on some, I love catching rainbows threw the ice.

Offline Jiginitis69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2011, 02:14 PM »
You might want to try lake erie on saturday.  Go off Cawtaba or Crane Creek.  cawtaba or millers ferry area is a shorter walk but the bite is finally on and I believe you will find your more than 1lb issue addressed.

Good Luck and Good Fishing
Good Luck and Good Fishing

Offline fire_line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:42 PM »
how far are they walking out of cawataba or crane do you know?? thanks

Offline warwin125

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:53 AM »
No different in MASS. Still pretty SLOW ;D
SHUT UP AND FISH!

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Well, I took you guys' advice and kept after it. ;D My brother and I tried a lake with deeper water and used larger baits. Wax worms, instead of spikes...used on 1/16 oz. spoons and minnows on salmon egg hooks with a splitshot about 16" above the bait.

We were in approx. 14 fow and caught a 14" and a 16" rainbow, in about 8 to 10 fow. @)
Perhaps the "curse" is broken. :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

\\\\

those look like Lake McKarns trout ?

Offline Bulldog83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2011, 10:13 PM »
In my freezer..lol. Ice is pretty much trash here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.