The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ding-a-ling tour  (Read 3345 times)

Offline wyruffneck

• IceShanty Rookie
ding-a-ling tour
« on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:42 AM »
just woundering how many teams do you think will be entering the ding-a-ling  this year,     now i entered the burbot bash  and i did very vell the first 2 nights   but in the rules  the fish cant be frozen or white eyes or pink gills,  i do understand the reason why.  but for the ding-a-ling   and the extream cold temps we are having   it is going to be hard for teams to keep their fish from freezing.  my suggestion would be to drill a hole  just for your catch  use rope and a 3' 2x4  and keep your fish in the water  i did that for the burbot bash and it worked fine ( just rember to keep the ice free in the hole )   i feel asleep  in the shack  and had to chip away with a screw driver threw  almost 4'' of  ice(lol)  now i am new to the ice fishing and thought i would put my 2 cents in

Offline wyruffneck

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ding-a-ling tour..... freezing fish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:46 AM »
P>S>  the only reason i am saying this is because i saw many teams with their fish just laying on the ice

Offline troutsdaddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:10 PM »
Maybe just put em on the dash and turn on the defrost ;D!  Great point and great solution!

Offline Jigging4wydsa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:12 PM »
For the Burbot Bash we took out a big clear storage container and filled it with water and threw all the ling inside of it. Their heat kept it from freezing up and it looks like it's suppose to warm up a bit by Friday! Good luck!

Offline wyruffneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:22 PM »
well for the burbot bash,  it was warm out or atleast alot warmer than what it is going to be this weekend,   and if you guys are around firehole this weekend and you see 2 wall tents, stop and say hi
Vance

Offline Jigging4wydsa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:10 PM »
Don't think "their" heat kept it from freezing.  I believe burbot are cold blooded ;)  So they stay the same temperature as their surroundings.  Maybe the storage container kept it insulated well enough not to freeze.
Hey it sounded good tho right? haha

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:13 PM »
I'm heading out to the gorge this weekend to do some trout fishing, I thought about the derby but I believe you have to have a team is that right?

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:40 PM »
Ya it's a 3 person team.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:53 PM »
IF you use a metal stringer with the snap hooks be carefull the bigger ling like to twist on a stringer and can get off sometimes. A smack in the head will usually stop that. I always keep my fish on a stringer in the water to keep them from freezing then put them in a cooler for the trip home.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:57 PM »
Well if you took the storage containe like Jiggin4wyds said, and you didn't kill the fish they would swim around enough and move to keep the water from freezing.  I swear Burbs/ling could be frozen and then thawed and they would swim off.  Those things are tough buggers.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:40 PM »
I put 1 ling and two walleye on a stringer at the derby.  The next day they were alive and the ling looked fine but the 2 walleyes looked bad. They had a green slime on them and they were rubbed raw head to tail.. I had them all the way to the bottom and I think they were in some type of brush. So what do you think made them looked so rubbed red??? Time frame one 7+ lb walleye about 8:15 am Friday and the ling, 10: am and the 10.7lb walleye at about 1:30pm same day to 11:am Saturday. 
olefish

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:44 PM »
That ling was just hungry ;) .

I have seen with my own eyes frozen ling that go into the sink and start to swim. Heard catfish do the same thing.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:51 AM »
I have seen with my own eyes frozen ling that go into the sink and start to swim. Heard catfish do the same thing.

I have seen that happen also.  When I was going to college up in Alaska, we took a spring break trip to a remote lake back off the road system 7 miles with snowmobiles.  We were there for 4 days and caught quite a few ling. Some of the ling froze solid before we could even get back to our cabin so we came home after 4 days with frozen ling. And when we put them in the sink to thaw some of them began to swim and move after a few days of being frozen.  Wierd fish.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline NOTPIT54

• IceShanty Rookie
Ding A Ling Registration?
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:18 AM »
I was wanting to get in the fishing tourny. The number I have to call knowone answers or returns messages. Can someone here help me out?

Does the whole team have to show up at 230 to sign up or just captain?

If my team works til five Friday can we sign up that late?

Thanks.

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
Re: Ding A Ling Registration?
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:56 AM »
I was wanting to get in the fishing tourny. The number I have to call knowone answers or returns messages. Can someone here help me out?

Does the whole team have to show up at 230 to sign up or just captain?

If my team works til five Friday can we sign up that late?

Thanks.

Have you tried the email as well?  [email protected]   307.867.2613

Also try sending WYLINGIT a pm.

Offline NOTPIT54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Thanks. That's the email and number I've got no response from. I will get ahold of WYLINGIT. Thanks again.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:22 PM »
I didn't fish the derby this weekend but I finally got a chance to ice fish the gorge. I went out friday to check it out for a couple hours but got nothing. So Saturday I went out just before sun up and caught 3 ling within about 20 minutes, then the sun came up and they quit. I went back into Green River for the day to visit with my sister and returned after dark. Ended up catching a 20" mack, and 8 more ling in 2 hours, it was a blast. I finally caught my first burb and had a good time overall. Hopefully some of you derby guys did well. Can't wait to do it again.

Offline Jigging4wydsa

• IceShanty Rookie
Ding -A- Ling
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:14 PM »
I just want to say thanks to everyone who put on the Ding -A- Ling  Derby this weekend. It was so much fun and I thought you did a very good job of running things smoothly. Again thanks and I appreciate everything you did for Jigging for Wyoming Down Syndrome!!!! See ya next year and hopefully I can see some of you at our derby Feb. 19th and 20th.  ;D

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:24 PM »
Here's some pictures

Offline fishall30

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ding-a-ling tour
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Anyone here how many burbot were turned in at the Ding a Ling derby. Does anyone feel like over 4000 ling caught in the Burbot Bash is a Burbot explosion. Be Safe

Offline Jigging4wydsa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2011, 02:56 PM »
I'm not sure how many....but I do think we put another good dent in the population. Our team ended up with 65 total and 119 pounds.

Offline JIGGIN-WITIT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I'm not sure how many where caught but we caught 71 and had over 110lbs I'm guessing.  We came in 8th place with only 45lbs because we missed the weigh-ins Sunday morning. Yeah not happy about it we also had the biggest fish. They weighed it at 6.8lbs. I know the team that took first weighed like 150lbs the first night and add 75 more ling the second night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.