Author Topic: Best lantern for Ice Fishing  (Read 9958 times)

Offline Magog Landshark

• IceShanty Rookie
Best lantern for Ice Fishing
« on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:26 AM »
I'm in the market for a lantern for smelt fishing. I've had bad luck with headlamps not cutting it at below freezing temps and wondered what lantern other guys have had success with.  Not looking for the hanging kind, one that can sit on the ice.
Farewell and adieu, to you fair spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've just received orders, for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore, shall we see you again.
-Quint

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Best lantern for Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:26 AM »
any coleman lantern daul fuel or white gas

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:58 AM »
I'm with the dr. on this one, the duel or white gas will sit better on the ice

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:38 AM »
Coleman Dual Fuel lantern... ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:29 PM »
I like my Coleman white gas one much better than propane. Just don't let it touch the side of your tent. :'(

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:44 PM »
The dual mantle lanterns put out more heat too if your in a shanty.
I have one of the Northstar Coleman's with the tube sock single mantle. Lots of light but not
near the heat as the old 2 mantle job
Get bit!

Offline Magog Landshark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:10 PM »
Thanks guys.

My father and grandfather had these when I was young ( and My dad still has his ).  They worked but I don't have many fond memories of them. 

The mantles are a pain in the a$$ to tie on as I recall, and then work right. 

They never knew where the filter funnel was so putting in gas from the huge red can with the tiny opening was always a pain in the a$$

Pressurizing the gas with the pump seemed to be a hit or miss prospect and they went through some kitchen matches sometimes trying to light the mantels.  Which made the light output a hit or miss prospect,  which sometimes looked like eyebrow singeing time at any moment.

I'm not a complainer but they appear kind of time intensive, not pitch black, predusk, parked in the access at -5 degrees compatable, and should come with a fire extinguisher. 

Has there been advances with them I hope since 1981?  Maybe more user friendly? 
Farewell and adieu, to you fair spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've just received orders, for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore, shall we see you again.
-Quint

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:02 PM »
I use a Coleman Compact single mantle propane lantern. It is small, very bright and mine rattles around in the back of my pickup all winter without breaking the mantle. I think it was only about $15.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:54 PM »
I think you just had a bad experience Landshark. Mine is a white gas model with a sparker built in,
pump it about 30 times open the valve and 2 sparks and your good to go!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Flaming fireball light... ;)  I get that too, but the more I use mine, the better I get at it. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline FISH2163

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:29 PM »
I've had my Coleman white gas for over 20 years with no problem. It gets used maybe a dozen times a year. Mostly for camping up on the back hill, but it's been smelting quite a few times and has never let me down.

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:38 PM »
I have about 3 or 4 Coleman lanterns.  I bought the Northstar about 4 years ago.  The mantles go on with wire, no more strings and it uses a AAA battery to start it.  I've been very happy with dependability and it seems like the mantle last longer then the old models.
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:43 PM »
I use a coleman dual mantle propane job. It gives out good light and nice heat. The best part is it folds down into its own case so the globe and mantles stay safe.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Junior88

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Captain Insano Shows No Mercy !
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Carried a lantern for many years , always hated when it was time to pack up that it was so hot. Couldn't just put in sled and go. This year I got one of those rechargeable LED light bars . It has a hook so I can hang it form the pole in the flipover or lay it on the bench or whatever. Put the lantern away for good . Try one of these If you just need the light, no help with heat though.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2011, 01:34 PM »
COLEMAN dual fuel liquid fuel lantern gets my vote.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2011, 01:36 PM »
I use a Coleman dual mantel propane, think I payed $15 at walmart.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:54 AM »
coleman two mantle white gas.keep the generator clean and you'll have plenty of light and enough heat to take the chill off.When it gets real cold I put 2 in my portable shack and fish in comfort.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Coleman dual fuel with the two mantles. Lots of light and they probably put out close to 2000 BTUs

Offline Skidway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2011, 03:47 AM »
I use a Coleman Compact single mantle propane lantern. It is small, very bright and mine rattles around in the back of my pickup all winter without breaking the mantle. I think it was only about $15.
  Those are the best been using for a couple of years now all my buds are switching over, your right the mantle will take some abuse and is very compact I store mine in those new plastic coffee cans. It also cools down in a minute or two and $15 ya gotta try one. Skidway

Offline chris3303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jul 23, 2011, 04:33 PM »
Lanterns are great and have a few old and newer ones. I found the best thing to use is a headlamp. Lights up the shack nice and to reduce light at night but still see in the shack i just switch it to the red or green L.E.D settings. Best change I ever made. The light goes where your eyes go and great for working with tip ups at night also. Get yourself a good one and you will never go back. Its also small and has the advantage of bringing less stuff on the ice.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 31, 2011, 08:41 AM »
I've been using the same Coleman white gas lantern (two mantles) for over 15 years, and my Dad owned it but did not use it for probably 5+ years before that.  I also have a battery lantern with two light tubes, which kind of sucks.  That Coleman lantern puts off the brightest white light, and puts off a small amount of heat.  I drill four holes in front the sled in my portable, two on each side, and the lantern sits in the middle of the area toward the front door right on the ice.  I usually walk with it back to the truck if it's dark.  I shut it off while I load everything and that usually is enough time for it to cool down.

surflizard

« Reply #21 on: Jul 31, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Check out this link Magog Landshark, There are a lot of different Lantern options to look at on this site. Good luck with what ever you choose !
www.galttech.com/research/sports/best-lantern.php

Offline minger1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Aug 11, 2011, 08:05 PM »
guys what are the advantages to propane versus gas lanterns?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Aug 11, 2011, 08:15 PM »
I would never own a propane lantern for ice fishing...   Coleman lantern and coleman fuel is the only way to go...   Way more light and heat....    Just my opinion..         ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Aug 14, 2011, 04:53 PM »
I'd have to say more light and heat off of a liquid fuel lantern.  Much easier and no spills with a spin on propane lantern though.  My 2 cents
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Aug 15, 2011, 07:37 AM »
I would never own a propane lantern for ice fishing...   Coleman lantern and coleman fuel is the only way to go...   Way more light and heat....    Just my opinion..         ;D
that makes 2 of us.all my buds use propane and it seems they always have those canisters rolling around everwhere...and ive seen them get knocked over alot easier even with the stand it sits in .white gas or daul fuel colemans for me.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #26 on: Sep 09, 2011, 12:38 PM »
I just bought this dual fuel Colman from Cabelas along with a soft sided carrying case. Looks like its going to work out nicely. Has a guard around the globe to protect the glass. I think Im going to like it a lot.

I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

surflizard

« Reply #27 on: Sep 09, 2011, 02:02 PM »
Nice rig CP, Now if they could use some Kevlar or Spectra fiber in the mantels so they can take a bump would be nice !

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #28 on: Sep 09, 2011, 02:14 PM »
Didja know that the real silk mantles are naturally radioactive?  :woot: We did our radiation training using those to peg the Geiger Counter's.....just some more slightly interesting info!!! ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #29 on: Sep 09, 2011, 02:15 PM »
Nice rig CP, Now if they could use some Kevlar or Spectra fiber in the mantels so they can take a bump would be nice !

Yea thats true, but I made sure to order 6 extra mantle packs and there 2 per pack so I should have enough for a while  @)
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.