The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: anyone ice fish in esses county?????  (Read 2790 times)

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
anyone ice fish in esses county?????
« on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:05 PM »
i live in georgetown and fish pentucket, balpate, rock, stiles, and many others.. anyone else

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: anyone ice fish in esses county?????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:48 AM »
Haverhill here.  Fish Pluggs mostly, round, and made a couple of trip north for som etrout fishing earlier in the season.  Going to try Johnson's this sunday to change it up a little.  Any suggestions for Johnsons
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline dsp2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:53 AM »
I fish baldpate, and the res over in byfield mostly. Spent a lot of time out on Baldpate last season.
It must be a big fish That flag went up fast!

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:45 AM »
All the ones you said plus a few more in Andover.  Attitash as well....Forest from time to time.  Won't find me fishing Pluggs till open water cause everyone knows that place is DEAD in the winter.

Offline volume4130

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:49 AM »
Do any of you guys make it to Chebacco?  I was considering a trip out there before the season is over...

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:12 AM »
yeah. on monday, there was still 6" of powder on top of slush in some areas. where the snowmobilers were, it was good.

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Haverhill here.  Fish Pluggs mostly, round, and made a couple of trip north for som etrout fishing earlier in the season.  Going to try Johnson's this sunday to change it up a little.  Any suggestions for Johnsons
i havent fished there is supposably a derby coming up so try not to fish it within a week after the derby.

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:50 AM »
I fish baldpate, and the res over in byfield mostly. Spent a lot of time out on Baldpate last season.
u fish the cove yet?

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:51 AM »
Do any of you guys make it to Chebacco?  I was considering a trip out there before the season is over...
yeah i wanna try this place soon??? if i do ill post the pix????/

Offline Troutlife

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Salmonids rule
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:00 AM »

I fish it all the time. The crappie fishing outshines all other lakes I have been to. Other lakes I fish include Round pond, becks, pleasant, and a few in NH.

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:10 AM »
I fish it all the time. The crappie fishing outshines all other lakes I have been to. Other lakes I fish include Round pond, becks, pleasant, and a few in NH.
im new(14) and i need help. what depth do u fish at and what lures or gear??

Offline Capt.Dana

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Haverhill, MA.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:58 AM »
Suggestions for Essex County. Try Lake Cochichewick North Andover, big lake plus pike, Try Putnumville reservoir Danvers, big perch. Another one I like is Tewksbury Pond in Tewksbury, big bass try fishing near the island. Many others to choose from, just pull up a map from Mapquest and pick one! and of course stop by and see us for some bait.
I pratice fillet and release!

Offline volume4130

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:06 AM »
Pike in Cochichewick? Didn't know that.  Fished there a bunch last year, did well with big panfish, but hardly had any fish on tip ups other than small pickerel...not even a big bass...Maybe I should move out of that cove where everyone fishes, closest to the parking...

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:41 AM »
Pike in Cochichewick? Didn't know that.  Fished there a bunch last year, did well with big panfish, but hardly had any fish on tip ups other than small pickerel...not even a big bass...Maybe I should move out of that cove where everyone fishes, closest to the parking...
how do u catch the panfish in cochichewick.

Offline volume4130

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:16 PM »
Same way you catch 'em in any lake!  We did well with those little Genz bugs, Rapala jigging raps or the double rigged eyedroppers, or whatever they're called, tipped with spikes or mousies.

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:35 PM »
Same way you catch 'em in any lake!  We did well with those little Genz bugs, Rapala jigging raps or the double rigged eyedroppers, or whatever they're called, tipped with spikes or mousies.
ive cought some perch on tipups but not on the jigging rod. so what depth do u fish and where(near where)???

Offline Icewarrior

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:50 PM »
what kind of fish are in the byfield res ive never heard of it is it hard to find???

Offline dsp2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:07 PM »
quantumreel and icewarrior check your PM's
It must be a big fish That flag went up fast!

Offline pike place

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2011, 03:04 PM »
are there really pike in cochichewick? i heard of a few being caought back in the day but only a handful of them. i also heard a similiar story of one of the lakes (or ponds) in groveland or georgetown. can anyone confirm if there is a reproducing population of pike in that area? 

Offline Capt.Dana

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Haverhill, MA.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2011, 03:14 PM »
are there really pike in cochichewick? i heard of a few being caought back in the day but only a handful of them. i also heard a similiar story of one of the lakes (or ponds) in groveland or georgetown. can anyone confirm if there is a reproducing population of pike in that area? 

I don't know about a breading population, but I do know that someone put some in there. How many I don't know.

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2011, 03:23 PM »
I don't know about a breading population, but I do know that someone put some in there. How many I don't know.
where do u set up at cochichewick

Offline Capt.Dana

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Haverhill, MA.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2011, 11:02 AM »
I don't know the good spots. I have only fished there once.

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:50 PM »
where do u set up at cochichewick

Quantum...I know you're looking for info as I saw you on another state board looking for info on Winni.  While some bodies of water have their "holes" that hold fish during certain times of the year, you're not going to get that specific information you're looking for.  Use PM if you must but there's something to be said about getting sound advice and a good body of water and running with that.  You're going to have to put your time in and just FISH.  No better lesson than getting out there and doing it.  Set up in different depths of water, put your bait from the bottom through the water column and note where you're getting hits.  Try different jigs until you hit some fish and go from there.  There's lots of past information and people willing to share but posting "where do you set up?" on a piece of water will create lock-jaw.  Good luck young man.

Offline Capt.Dana

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Haverhill, MA.
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2011, 03:23 PM »
Quantum, sorelippin is right about lock jaw and you will learn the "ropes". I'm not holding anything from you as I said I have only fished there once, it was 9 degrees F and the ice was 9 1/2" thick. It all came appart on us in the wind. Here is a photo I took after I had retrieved one of my Heritage Lakers. You can still see the other one still in the hole. I had to wait for the pieces to drift back together to jump from one another to get out and get my traps back. There was open water at a distance away but the wind picked up after the sun rose. That created waves which started breaking the ice at the sentling cracks. All of this happened before we could finish cooking bacon. If you look closely you can see "white spots" near the cracks. That was shavings caused by the pieces smashing together. We only caught one fish, bass. I have never fish it in the open water.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:30 AM »
Dana.....this is amazing!  You found a new ice fishing technique I never thought of......"trolling with tip ups"!!!!!!!! :o
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:05 AM »
Unreal shots Dana! As for Pike isn't the lake fed by the Merrimack? And if so that could be a source as well for fry to get into the lake.  I have fished it primarily during open water. Nice mix of largemouth, smallmouth, pickerel, and panfish. I have not seen or caught a pike but, it would not surprise me one bit. 

Good luck!
Ctown

Offline Capt.Dana

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Haverhill, MA.
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:09 AM »
Unreal shots Dana! As for Pike isn't the lake fed by the Merrimack? Ctown

I don't believe it is fed from the Merrimack! Haggets Pond is.

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:13 AM »
Thanks Dana! Looking closer at the map I see your correct. Wonder if it has natural springs feeding it?

Offline Capt.Dana

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Haverhill, MA.
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Thanks Dana! Looking closer at the map I see your correct. Wonder if it has natural springs feeding it?

Natural springs, small creeks and watershed from conservation land. There was a number of years ago when they were building the houses on the southern end where fertilizer runoff was effecting the lake. I think that was resolved.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:20 AM »
Rumor had it there was a guy taking Pike from Champlain back to Mass in a tank in his pickup and putting them into Cochiwick back in the mid to late 90's.  Again......just a rumor about the illegal stocking but I landed a small Pike there back in '98 and fished with a guy that pulled a 9 pound Pike out of there the same season.  So I have seen them with my own eyes come out .  However I have not fished that lake for many years so IDK what is there now.
Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.