The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Armor  (Read 1833 times)

Offline stubborn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Armor
« on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:07 AM »
I wear wool bibs and Sorel pacs with wool liners,and fish in most weather, but I'm wondering about Ice Armor.  I'd be interested to hear from people who wear the stuff.  Is it worth the pricetag?  I can do all the research I want, but it would mean more to get input from my fellow hardwater fishers.  Anyone?  Thanks in advance.  -S
I fish better Hungry.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
Re: Ice Armor
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:18 AM »
i can give you a good report on the gloves. my hands are happy to go into them after landing a fish. no problems after a few weeks. im too cheap to buy a whole suit though. good luck
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:47 AM »
You would not regret buying the whole suit.  i have had it for 3 years now and I fish a lot.  Looks great besides all the fish slime.  It's like wearing a shanty, if you wear the right gear under it.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline Strafford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:50 AM »
I just got a set from Dicks and it was some of the best money Ive spent on fishing.  I spent most of yesterday in 10 degree weather in the shade with only a pair of thin pants, sweatshirt and my ice armor on and I wasnt cold at all.  Its also nice to have the ability to kneel in snow and slush without getting your pants wet.  Now im just waiting to test them out on a sub zero day.

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2011, 12:23 PM »
great investment youll never be cold.

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline miked

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • jack perch
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:05 PM »
i have artic armor the one that FLOATS,  I dressed before i left ,I was in such a hurry I forgot to put my jeans on over my long johns ,it was 15 degrees when I got to the pond .I was warm the whole time.
[img]

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:29 PM »
I bought the grey suit last year.  Best investment I have made clothing wise for ice fishing.  I usually wear a pair of shorts and a tee shirt under it.  Never been cold in it.  Well worth the money.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:31 PM »
I owned the grey suit, it was pretty good but I think for the money the new frabill suit is much better.  Its on sale now at glens army navy for much cheaper than the ICE ARMOR suit.  Some of the things I like about the new frabill suit.  The bibs come up on your chest much higher which I love as I dont wear my jacket very often.  The hood on the frabill jacket is much more functional.  The suit also seems to  be warmer in general than my grey suit.  As I said though I have only had it for a little while so I dont know about it lasting or anything like that.  My grey suit made it 4 years before blowing out.  Im very hard on my gear.  Also like that the frabill suit is black, this helps make the suit warmer if the sun is out at all.  You cant go wrong with either suit but for how much you get each suit for I would go with the frabill hands down.
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline ripnlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:10 AM »
I also own the grey Ice Armor suit. For me, the money is worth knowing that I will be comfortable on the ice all day. The only time I actually wear the jacket is when its real windy or below 10 to 15 degrees, otherwise I just go with the bibs and a couple warm layers.

Offline webster2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:44 AM »
I got a set of the blue ice armor for Christmas.  I am usually very cold when we go ice fishing.  I haven't been in the ice armor.  I wear under armor and long johns with a hoodie under it.  Well worth the money.  I love how it blocks the wind.  Look for sales on it now.

Offline habaneromoon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:29 AM »
i wore the blue suit for a couple of years, then on a trip to dicks last year i came across the grey suit marked down to 125$ i grabbed it quick, best thing ive bought in a long time!! ;D

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2011, 12:07 PM »
does the colors make a difference in the suit? more or less insulation?

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2011, 01:45 PM »
The grey suit is warmer, but i've never been cold in the blue suit here in VT
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline WildFisherWomanVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2011, 02:30 PM »
I have an arctic armor camo suit. Its the best cold gear investment I ever made. Toasty warm for ice fishing. Plus, if you hunt, it is a soft material, very quiet and has been an essential in the stand for late season bowhunting. Its a completely different material than the others. Well worth the money. Only issue is that the sizes run HUGE! Im in an XS at 5ft7 135lbs and am swimming in it. You also swim in it if you do a lot of walking from sweat! Since it floats (so they say) apparently you wont be swimming if you go through the ice either.  :o Took a while to learn how to layer while wearing it.  ;D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"

Offline smithsfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 20 pounds 2 ounces
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2011, 04:12 PM »
i got the blue suit for a present... i put it to the the test in slush, wind, and just cold temps. i have had it on on every day i have been fishing this year. it is by far one of the best gifts i have ever gotten.  i do a great deal of both jigging and tipup fishing, you can neal down in the snow, ice, or slush without getting wet.

Offline BCinVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:01 PM »
ANOTHER THUMBS UP FOR THE BLUE SUIT!I have worn it everytime out since XMAS,and I haven't been even a little cold at all.Like others have said,if you layer,you don't even need the jacket unless it's windy or real cold.And I haven't had the knees leak yet.If you shop around,you can get the whole suit for around 250,maybe even cheaper.
Anyday you can be in the woods,on the water,or on the ice is a GREAT DAY

Offline genasjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:59 PM »
I wear wool bibs and Sorel pacs with wool liners,and fish in most weather, but I'm wondering about Ice Armor.  I'd be interested to hear from people who wear the stuff.  Is it worth the pricetag?  I can do all the research I want, but it would mean more to get input from my fellow hardwater fishers.  Anyone?  Thanks in advance.  -S
I wear ice armor to me you cant beat it, it is well worth the price, it is called armor for a reason!  This stuff is the best outer layer wear money can buy.

Offline clamyukon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2011, 03:03 PM »
i like ice armor but artic amor floats and is warm get the artic armor

Offline icejumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2011, 05:01 PM »
  I  bought the camo artic armour one word SWEET. :icefish: :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor