Author Topic: 1-31-11 Split Rock  (Read 997 times)

Offline knot2crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
1-31-11 Split Rock
« on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Ice is good at Dam end .. about 9" over-all and approx. 6" of solid quality ice from bottom of ice up. Only fished late afternoon for about 1-1/2 hours and not one flag. I only drilled minimal holes and forgot my jig pole. Spoke to a guy on the way off and he and his son were using tip ups and jigging and they only each had a perch. The father had spoke to another fisherman that said he caught some perch and a couple smallies. there was about 8-9" of snow on top but not too bad dragging the sled

Offline laketrout1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 1-31-11 Split Rock
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Ice is good at Dam end .. about 9" over-all and approx. 6" of solid quality ice from bottom of ice up. Only fished late afternoon for about 1-1/2 hours and not one flag. I only drilled minimal holes and forgot my jig pole. Spoke to a guy on the way off and he and his son were using tip ups and jigging and they only each had a perch. The father had spoke to another fisherman that said he caught some perch and a couple smallies. there was about 8-9" of snow on top but not too bad dragging the sled
looking 2 find other places 2 fish can u tell us where it is thanks
Leave no flag up

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:50 AM »
yeah, the ice is fine, but who knows where the fish are?  i have been measuring 10" clear ice (under about 10" snow) everywhere i put a hole this past week and a half.  have only had one tip up, no fish caught.  i have been fishing the deepest areas, 25'+ as well as the drop offs, and higher up in the water column and still nothing.  tried dawn, dusk, daytime, nothing.  i am using medium shiners on the tip ups and jigging w/ a variety of small jigs tipped with wax worms on my rod.

on sunday, i was out from before dawn to around noon and caught nothing.  there were 8 or 10 russians on the ice that morning as well that i spoke with, who had also caught nothing.  in fact, all year, the only guy i have talked to on the ice who had caught anything had only had 2 perch and a pickerel.
Waiting for the ice

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:41 PM »
Sounds like its getting a reputation like Skunksville

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:30 AM »
It's a tough lake, tough conditions... But the potential is there, reminds me a lot of Big Swartzwood, only its crappie on SR and yellows on BS..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.