The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: A Trout Tried to Eat My Vexilar!  (Read 894 times)

Offline gbednash

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Sure beats sitting on the couch!
A Trout Tried to Eat My Vexilar!
« on: Jan 30, 2011, 11:02 PM »
I was fishing on Lake Wallenpaupack yesterday and drilled a hole and placed the transducer of my Vexilar FL8 unit in the hole. The depth was 41 ft. I dropped my lure to the bottom and brought it up about a foot and began to jig. Suddenly, the styrofoam float that the cord passes through began to bob up and down. I thought that my line was caught on it so I leaned forward and to my suprise, there was a huge brown trout mouthing the transducer! I quickly reeled my lure up to just beneath the ice, and BAM, he took it! He ran a short distance but broke off. Darn! I still can't get over the fact that this fish was cruising just under the ice over 41 feet of water and tried to swallow the transducer. Has anyone out there ever had a fish try to eat their electronics?! Please tell me I'm not alone in this experience.....
GAB

Offline skipper4080

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: A Trout Tried to Eat My Vexilar!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2011, 12:20 AM »
Had a big smallmouth bass try to swallow the camera on the aqua view i was looking down his throat.
Never get excited there's a reason for everything,I just don't know what it is??

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2011, 12:22 AM »
That's crazy... I've never experienced anything like this myself but I have heard of fish attacking underwater cameras...

Offline 4Z ICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2011, 04:47 AM »
Had that happen to me at Upperwoods pond and rainbow trout a few years back.The school of trout tried to attack the cam,which made us all switch to chrome lures in 10 min. we were limted out.Does't surprise me in a bit this would happen on the pack those browns are pigs in there and they could be found almost anywere.

Offline crispycritter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:05 AM »
had a muskie bump noses with my aqua view once thats a cool expierience you had mabye you had better put a hook on the ducer next time out ;D ;D
life is not a journey to the grave with the expectation of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;but rather to (skid in) broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW what a ride

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:44 AM »
Time to put a big treble hook on the ducer. ;D

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:51 AM »
Been in the one man portable and was retying when a 4" sunfish came up to the ducer. He came up further and actually had his back fin outta the water! As soon as I moved towards him, off he went. Pretty common for sunnies to swim back and forth under the ducer on the bassboat in shallow water to get a jolt, they seem to like it! Gotta shut the fish alarm off as the same sunnie will swim back and forth under the ducer . Gets annoying.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2011, 04:06 PM »
Ok, not an ice fishing story, but still very cool:

Last year, my cousin who is a MANIACAL muskie fisherman was trolling over a timber-laden area casting for monster muskies (I don't think he owns a bait under 12" and less than 6 oz) when his trolling motor started to skip.  He thought he had hit an unseen stump in the water and looked down to find a 50" class muskie attacking the props on his trolling motor.  It took off after a couple of bumps.  :o

I suggested that he retro-fit his bucktails with trolling motor props when fishing that area again  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.