Author Topic: parasites in perch  (Read 13855 times)

Offline i8afish

• IceShanty Rookie
parasites in perch
« on: Jan 30, 2011, 02:24 PM »
so, i have eaten deep fryed perch from resturaunts and it is great. i caught a few and decided to try fileting some and making them at home. after fileting them i found a few with dark spots that when i dug out with my knife were some kind of parasite. is this normal???? what if i miss one and end up eating it???? 

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: parasites in perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2011, 02:25 PM »
yea very normal alot of fish get them from weeds as far as i know its fine to eat the fish

catch pike like its my job

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2011, 02:27 PM »
I believe after cooking they are dead. I've eaten them and I've only developed a couple black dots on my skin.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2011, 02:38 PM »
I believe after cooking they are dead. I've eaten them and I've only developed a couple black dots on my skin.

LOL, nice one. i8afish they are fine to eat and you dont even need to pick them out fully cooking them will kill them for sure but I am pretty sure those particular ones cannot live in humans anyways. I havent died yet anyway so if you dont want them I know where you can bring em ;)
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2011, 02:53 PM »
I found this on Michigan's DNR site:
''Occasionally anglers catch fish with black, pinhead size spots which cause the fish to have a peppered appearance, or a fish may be caught which has white to yellow colored grubs under the skin of in the flesh. Yellow perch taken from the shallower waters of the Great Lakes often contain red worms coiled within the body cavity. All these conditions are caused by common fish parasites. Fish with these parasites are safe to eat, as all these (and any other parasites) are killed by cooking. Black Spot and yellow grub parasites are most common in bass, sunfish (all species), and northern pike, and red worm is specific to yellow perch. These and related parasites may be found in other species of fish as well.''
I can only imagine it's the same here

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:03 PM »
A biologist one time in concord told me it was ok to eat bass with the black parisite in them as long as you cook the meat well you should have no problems.

I seem to find that in some ponds that the perch have it and other have not. Not sure what the theory is behind it is but here is a pic of a perch with the pepper parasites in it. Now this pond is connected to another and the funny thing is that 1st pond i have never seen it and caught well over 1,000 perch out of it before and the 2nd. i have caught maybe 250 perch and seen about 15-20 with it in the bodies.

http://i52.tinypic.com/wu1abn.jpg[/img]]

Offline i8afish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:08 PM »
Well, Battered and fried they were delicious and so were the bugs if i didn't get them all out. Thanks for all the reassurance that they were safe to eat. I always threw them back until yesterday. Now that I know that I can filet and cook them at home perch everywhere should be afraid.

Offline Supervisor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2011, 05:55 PM »
The "yellow grub" and "black spot" in perch and other fish are intermediate life stages of a type of trematode worm.  See life cycle here:

http://www.wildnh.com/Fishing/fisheries_management/grubby_fish.htm
Scott Decker, NHFGD Inland Fisheries Supervisor

Offline sweet lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • go deep or go home.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:58 PM »
i have seen those dots all over you mike. ;D ;D ;D

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:05 PM »
The "yellow grub" and "black spot" in perch and other fish are intermediate life stages of a type of trematode worm.  See life cycle here:

http://www.wildnh.com/Fishing/fisheries_management/grubby_fish.htm

great info, thank you!

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Lou,
Those are from some of the less than respectable perch I hung around when I was bar hopping!

Offline sweet lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • go deep or go home.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:12 AM »
yeah buddie I've been out of circulation to long to remember.how have you been doing. i haven't been out to the house for about three weeks now trying to leave it alone for the derby.

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:33 AM »
Stayin busy with all the snow! Hitting the lake every chance I get. Nothing to brag about but having a blast anyway. I went out with the wife sunday, her pink polar tip up was the only one that was getting hits. Not sure what it was. Kept striking the smelt but not taking it. 30 fow set at 11 ft. Oh well

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:36 AM »
why do you think we toss them on the ice up here!!!     eagle food
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:53 AM »
That's what gives the fish their flavor!  ;D
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Ehhhhh....when you're eatin' em just pretend its pepper  ;)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:14 AM »
Not a chance!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline icefshninnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2011, 01:14 PM »
i have caught yellow perch in warm weather with what looks like maggots under the skin in the mouth area and gills but most perch are clean in the cold waters of winter is this also the grubby parasite in the fng pasted site

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2011, 03:50 PM »
I have caught a perch with worms and didnt know untill filleting him and freaked out and in the woods he goes.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2011, 03:53 PM »
Easiest way to fillet those yella's.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb7D0

Cheers & Tight Lines!!!

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2011, 01:51 AM »
there s a similar topic in the ny thread. what they re saying is the maggot ones are harmless when fully cooked but to avoid the red ones that are 4 inch long. my experience is they were about 1/4 the size of a maggot. did nt affect the flavor of the perch i ate a few years ago. no experience w the black dots cny

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:57 AM »
All are safe after cooking or freezing.  Just disturbing to some people.  Some lakes seem to have a bigger problem than others, and some spots on some lakes seem to have more black spot.  There is an outter skin black spot, and there is another one with the parasites encapsulated inthe skin that is a blak spot.  They disturb me a bit more as they are somewhat solid and crunchy, still they are harmless after being set to 212 degrees in the pan.  As far as I know, only the tape worms are transferable to humans (but don't quote me on that).  Just leave the sushi to the ocean fish and try not to think about it too much.....LOL

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:35 PM »
So all in all we can eat the perch with those grub type worms in them??  I used to cut them out but the last batch from NH I left them in and in the freezer they went. Some ponds have them and some don't.

Offline dannyboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:23 PM »
Well, I guess it's time to tell the little woman no more perch sushi....

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:55 AM »
A biologist one time in concord told me it was ok to eat bass with the black parisite in them as long as you cook the meat well you should have no problems.

I seem to find that in some ponds that the perch have it and other have not. Not sure what the theory is behind it is but here is a pic of a perch with the pepper parasites in it. Now this pond is connected to another and the funny thing is that 1st pond i have never seen it and caught well over 1,000 perch out of it before and the 2nd. i have caught maybe 250 perch and seen about 15-20 with it in the bodies.

http://i52.tinypic.com/wu1abn.jpg[/img]]

i went to rock pond in gtown, ma. i caught 6 perch off tipups and all of them had those little black dots

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.