Author Topic: GPS suggestions  (Read 487 times)

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
GPS suggestions
« on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:08 AM »
I have a HB1197si on the boat and love it.  I have the Navionics map chip for it.  When shopping flashers I wanted the HB385 but ended up with the Ice 55 which I do like.

So now I still need a way to take my Navionics to the lake and mark waypoints etc.  Should I do a handheld unit like a Garmin, (I have a Nuvi that I like) or should I add a 385i to the mix?  Suggested models welcome.

Actually if the 385 had a camera option...

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: GPS suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2011, 12:24 PM »
I have a DeLORME PN-40 which will use the Navionics Chip and works very well. The latest (PN-60) looks even better.
One button will mark any waypoint, just like most handhelds I'm sure. You can also edit waypoints in case you find coordinates or are given hotspots by a friend.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2011, 12:32 PM »
If you are just interested in marking waypoints and want a cheap option, look on ebay for the eXplorist 100 or 200 by delorme.  I recently picked one up for $35 and it works great.  The manual was downloaded free from the delorme site.  The 100 has no maps and can't be hooked to a computer, but the 200 can and there isn't much difference in price.  These are very basic units, but if you are just looking to mark waypoints, they pick up satellites very well and are WAAS enabled which improves the accuracy considerably.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2011, 12:38 PM »
I should add that I'd like a more mid to top of the line unit for use hiking/hunting as well.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2011, 04:58 PM »
I read there is a Navionics card for the Nuvi that I might have to check out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.