Author Topic: DEP  (Read 3795 times)

Offline nickrich13

• IceShanty Rookie
DEP
« on: Jan 28, 2011, 08:37 PM »
how often is the dep  on the ice checking liences im just wondering because in ri DEM is never checking

Offline jay matthews

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: DEP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2011, 08:54 PM »
only saw dep one time on besek in middlefield

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2011, 09:17 PM »
A hefty fine aint worth poaching for. The DEP shows up often enough on the popular walleye lakes.
Besides, if you can afford the gas to fish out of state you can afford an out-of-state license.

Since you can print licenses on-line I've printed two copies of mine because I'm the sort to lose it, and think I might print a couple more copies to store in every bucket and tackle box I own lol.

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2011, 09:46 PM »
I was checked twice in a week last year. Once was on a popular lake and once on an unknown lake.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Bantam+squantz so far and now alot of tourneys are going on.

Offline dmach83

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I can;t flyfish might as well jig
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:38 AM »
I've been checked 4 times this year.Once at Kettletown and 3 times on the lower Housy. I'm glad to see them.We have a huge problem with guys taking under size stripers  in the Derby Shelton area so We're familiar with the officers.I got checked on Jan. 1.  Cudos to the DEP

Offline Perfect Hook Set

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A true Lie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:42 AM »

My Buddy just got stopped on kenosia yesterday

I believe its $85 for the no license fine
$30 for every tip up whether its in a hole or not
$60 for every rod/reel whether its in a hole or not

All tip ups must have your name and address on them

After two strikes they can take your gear

Supposedly the presence of the authority is going to be much more the years past through the entire season
Next time you go to cwood let me know how many fish you didnt catch.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:50 AM »
they have now enlisted the help of the creel survey guys to check licenses, so be safe and buy the license like everyone else.

Offline pikePERSUADER1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Northern Pike- all other fish are bait
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2011, 12:42 PM »
they have now enlisted the help of the creel survey guys to check licenses, so be safe and buy the license like everyone else.
yeah, got checked and surveyed last week at silver lake, berlin

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:22 PM »
The fine is actually 77.00 for no license.  No additional for tipups or jigging rods if your caught without a license.   If you get caught twice they do not take your gear however you can expect to get a letter in the mail with some bad news:  license suspended for one year, get caught under suspension and its gonna cost you 150.00.  Third strike will equal a year or more if caught under suspension.  4th and you may never be able to purchase a inland Or marine sport fishing license in CT indeffinetly.  The suspensions do include both fresh and salt even if you were caught only in fresh.  Also they made agreements with bordering mass, rhode island and new york such that they can extend your suspension to those state with a phone call (rarely happens but very possible depending on the situation)

Case in point it's not worth it.  Even if the license was 100.00 and CT is dead serious about enforcing it, they may not have the largest staff (which is actually going to stay the same in numbers or decline per Mr. Malloy). There are still pleanty of officers to catch offenders and the ones I've spoken to are very good at there job with the exception of one "rambo" officer in the danbury area.  He will cite your face clean off if you make a mistake.  Even the owner of valley angler has called complaints to the state regarding his professionalism.  

Over the years I've bumped into a few, I can still remember when they were just wardens and had such limited power that offending sportsmen would walk all over them!  Nowadays I've been told a few times how license checks turned into warrant or narcotics arrests.  One officer in the colchester area once told me "if you knew the criminal history of some of the people you were fishing next to you would be quite surprised.  Their role has expanded a ton over the past 15 years.

Offline bob48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Got checked last year on east twin two DEO officers came on the ice with quads. Glad to see them out there.Bob

Offline Perfect Hook Set

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A true Lie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:04 PM »
This wasnt a dep he was apart of another department and carried a fire alarm

I REPEATED WHAT THE GUY TOLD ME so how is it he now has an $85 fine if its suppose to be $77?
The guy told him that that can and will take the gear and you would lose your license.

The fine is actually 77.00 for no license.  No additional for tipups or jigging rods if your caught without a license.   If you get caught twice they do not take your gear however you can expect to get a letter in the mail with some bad news:  license suspended for one year, get caught under suspension and its gonna cost you 150.00.  Third strike will equal a year or more if caught under suspension.  4th and you may never be able to purchase a inland Or marine sport fishing license in CT indeffinetly.  The suspensions do include both fresh and salt even if you were caught only in fresh.  Also they made agreements with bordering mass, rhode island and new york such that they can extend your suspension to those state with a phone call (rarely happens but very possible depending on the situation)

Case in point it's not worth it.  Even if the license was 100.00 and CT is dead serious about enforcing it, they may not have the largest staff (which is actually going to stay the same in numbers or decline per Mr. Malloy). There are still pleanty of officers to catch offenders and the ones I've spoken to are very good at there job with the exception of one "rambo" officer in the danbury area.  He will cite your face clean off if you make a mistake.  Even the owner of valley angler has called complaints to the state regarding his professionalism.  

Over the years I've bumped into a few, I can still remember when they were just wardens and had such limited power that offending sportsmen would walk all over them!  Nowadays I've been told a few times how license checks turned into warrant or narcotics arrests.  One officer in the colchester area once told me "if you knew the criminal history of some of the people you were fishing next to you would be quite surprised.  Their role has expanded a ton over the past 15 years.
Next time you go to cwood let me know how many fish you didnt catch.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:36 AM »
This wasnt a dep he was apart of another department and carried a fire alarm

I REPEATED WHAT THE GUY TOLD ME so how is it he now has an $85 fine if its suppose to be $77?
The guy told him that that can and will take the gear and you would lose your license.

85 if your out of state.  Quite honestly I went through the process after getting nailed twice early season at TMA's because I was too stupid to remember to buy next years license (before I started ice fishing). My gear wasn't taken and the second time the officer let me continue to fish after accepting my ticket. 

I've only heard once case of gear being taken and it was because the gentleman was breaking literally every broodstock rule at the naugatuck.

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2011, 01:40 PM »
I saw the man in the orange vest walking shanty to shanty at Pachaug in early January; he didn't check mine, but did force someone fishing near me (who'd been tending flags all morning) to pack up and scoot in a great hurry.
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline mikeg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:17 PM »
bin to squantz 3 times this year on the ice dep came out two of them

Offline Rotnik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Does anyone know how the law actually reads word for word regarding having your name and address on your traps? Say I was to put it in very very very small writing on the bottom of the trap...is that legit or is it supposed to be clear and easily readable? Stained all my traps black and I really don't want to be writing in white out all over them.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:04 PM »
Does anyone know how the law actually reads word for word regarding having your name and address on your traps? Say I was to put it in very very very small writing on the bottom of the trap...is that legit or is it supposed to be clear and easily readable? Stained all my traps black and I really don't want to be writing in white out all over them.

Read the anglers guide under definitions:  Ice fishing.  Says it clearly there.  Yes it has to be visible.  Use a peice of blue painters tape and a black sharpie and your in business, wont
mess up the stain either.

Offline Yukon Roz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:21 AM »
I've used address labels there printed neatly and easy to remove if you let some use your gear like I do when some green horn whats to try ice fishing for the first time.

Offline Rotnik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Yeah I saw a guy with those address labels....they work well!

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:42 AM »
i use them too but i put a clear packaging take around it so they dont peel of from getting wet they have been on for 2 seasons now

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2011, 12:49 PM »
You need to play by the rules,a member of "wild justice"was saying while @ ball pond they are crackin down.I think that meant (less warnings)....

Offline jigginup20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:26 PM »
yea dep was on squantz yesterday checking my license,tips,and bait.

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:59 PM »
yea dep was on squantz yesterday checking my license,tips,and bait.

What did they check regarding your bait? Making sure you weren't using koi?
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline jigginup20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:10 PM »
dont know and i didnt ask he just took a peek in the bait bucket

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:09 AM »
dont know and i didnt ask he just took a peek in the bait bucket

I would expect them to do that at lakes you can't use alewives but squantz you can.

Offline jigginup20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:15 AM »
I would like to see dep patroling the housy a little more after I was at the dam in the spring and seen guys keeping short trout and stripers.

Offline mikeg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:19 AM »
jigginup20 how deep was the snow Monday on squantz

Offline jigginup20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2011, 02:08 PM »
I went on Sunday but it was about 8 inches of snow but its not bad cause the snowmobilers been runing up and down the lake so we walked on the snow they packed down

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2011, 03:51 PM »
Was check by a DEP guy when I was the only person out on Ball Pond.
He was willing to truck through the snow to pay me a visit. :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:39 PM »
During the summer at ball pond dep watched me fish woth binoculars, waited till I came in to check me out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.