The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Building an Ice House  (Read 13752 times)

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
Building an Ice House
« on: Jan 28, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Hey guys! I am looking at building an ice house. I want maybe either an 8x10 or an 8x12. What do you guys think would be better? I want it on skiis/runners with treated wood for the floors and 2x2's for studs. I just don't know how big to go. Any info/pics would be awesome!

Thanks,
BMLPike

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
Re: Building an Ice House
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2011, 12:23 PM »
if your going that big you may as well go 8 by 12, but it sounds like you have a great idea ;D

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:55 PM »
I built a 8x12 a few years ago and used 2x2's for the studs and 1/4" plywood inside and out .. 3/4" on the roof and floor and treated 6x6's  for the skids.. Pm me your email address and i'll send you photos.
Hard Ice

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:26 PM »
What would be better for the roof? Metal, wood or rubber. And should i put a pitch to the roof or should i slant it or leave it flat.. What works best?

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:20 PM »
I used tin and just a slite angle but not flat.
Hard Ice

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Hey HardIce, did you get my email? If not, email me some pics if you can at [email protected]..

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:37 PM »
I didnt but i just took down your email. I'll send you some pics from my cell phone yet today.
Hard Ice

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:07 PM »
Any other ideas guys? Also, I usually fish on Bad Medicine lake in Becker county.. Anyone else fish up there?

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:32 PM »
Emails sent.
Hard Ice

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Also, how much did you guys spend on a project like this? And whats better, a pitched roof or a flat or a slanted one... Havent figured that out yet..

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:46 AM »
You don't want a flat roof as it will build up too much snow on top and could possibly leak easier or even collapse.

Good luck w/ the project!

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2011, 01:02 PM »
Also, how much did you guys spend on a project like this? And whats better, a pitched roof or a flat or a slanted one... Havent figured that out yet..
we spent around 1,500-2,000$ a shlanty roof works better when yuo are trailering it down the road in our case it pulled it to lake of the woods .. but i do gota warn you it's heavey 
Hard Ice

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2011, 01:13 PM »
Hope this works for yea..

the house
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/mnwild/Mobile%20Uploads/0202111543.jpg

hole in the corner
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/mnwild/Mobile%20Uploads/0202111545.jpg

Front Roof
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/mnwild/Mobile%20Uploads/0202111547d.jpg

Side Roof
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/mnwild/Mobile%20Uploads/0202111547a.jpg

Front Tow Hooks
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/mnwild/Mobile%20Uploads/0202111547.jpg

Inside cealing light
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/mnwild/Mobile%20Uploads/0202111545c.jpg

need any more pic's just ask.. i dont use the house any more because it's so havey and i cant find any body to help put it out and take it off .. the lack of a snow plow dont help ether i have thought about building a drop down trailer for it but havent done it yet .. maybe next year..
Hard Ice

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2011, 03:12 PM »
Thanks for the pics HardIce.. I was thinkin maybe a slant from the front to back.. I won't be pulling it down the road at all so. My four wheeler should be able to pull it. What should i use for the walls and roof? 1/2 plywood or 3/4? Im gonna use treated 3/4 on the floor then 2x2 studs with steel screws. Hopefully it won't be to heavy. Then I was gonna do three long (1' x 3') plexiglass windows towards the top of the house.. Is that a good idea?

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:01 PM »
What i did was put 1/4" plywood on the walls inside and outside.. And 3/4" cdx (treated) on the floor....
Hard Ice

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:05 PM »
The only window i had was in the door and that faced the south all the time... It takes a tank to move it .. Dont think a wheller would be much of a match for it because of the weight .
Hard Ice

Offline Soulfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:43 PM »
Hey guys! I am looking at building an ice house. I want maybe either an 8x10 or an 8x12. What do you guys think would be better? I want it on skiis/runners with treated wood for the floors and 2x2's for studs. I just don't know how big to go. Any info/pics would be awesome!

Thanks,
BMLPike
I like 8 x 12's..they have more room in them  :tipup:
Trout..yummy..yummy fer my tummy...

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:38 PM »
I would like to keep the weight down so i am thinking an 8x8 for now and see how heavy that is.. Maybe in the future i will go bigger. I am looking into a place in my town that builds trusses and i think i am going to have them build me three trusses for the roof but idk yet.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2011, 11:03 AM »
why don't you just build your own trusses...i build all of mine for my shed and my wood shed...more than 20 in all and after 5 years they are still standing.  just buy the 2x4s and cut some osb into a house shape for the peak and 2 triangles for the corners and screw them together...should be good enough.  i am by no means a carpenter (pipe welder by trade) and did it...you should be able to also.  if you are looking for a certain pitch you can search online for the angles you need to cut the 2x4s with( i think a 4-12 is 18.5 deg....but don't quote me it's been a while) besides you won't need much pitch on an ice house.  just make sure that once you make the first one...copy it for the rest of them!  good luck

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2011, 03:15 PM »
Yea it was more of a "just a thought" and "lazy" moment.. But i think i will pitch it at 3/12's. Not to high. I would think three trusses should do the do it. Did you set the trusses on the top of the frames with an overhang?

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:59 PM »
I've had a gabled roof and a flat roof...my newest house is a pitched roof.  So far I like it, seemed easier to build.  I framed mine with 2x3's bought from Menards.  The house is 6x8 and we only used four of the 2x3's for the roof, sheathed in luan with a rubber membrane on top of that.  We bought some nice braces to hold them in place on top of the walls.  Three walls are 6' high and the fourth is just over 7'.  We cut the ends of the 'trusses' at I think 8 degrees so they line up with the sides of the walls, and just sheathed up to the roof.  We are using an aluminum drip edge with a overhang (just a few inches) on the shortest side, we wanted to keep it light and figured the drip edge is lighter than the extra lumber.  I have pics on my phone but it since went to hell..I'll be out this weekend and will try to get some close up pics.  The project cost about $250 total.  Here is a link to my post about it.......http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=179267.0

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2011, 11:05 PM »
on both of them i went with a 3' overhang to stack wood up underneath the shed and for a cement path under the overhang on the wood shed...but you can make it whatever you like or even have none at all if it suits you.  one word of advice though..make sure that the top chords on trusses are close to or a bit under 4', that way you can just put one sheet of osb or what ever you are using for sheeting on it.  just make one and then use it for a pattern for the rest...and all will be fine, it's not like it needs to support tons and tons of weight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.